PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
When you find your F4U-1D model, you might find these pages useful for reference:

Vought F4U Corsair

Open up the links in the orange/brown sections in the middle of the page - lots of stuff there.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
BestPaperModels has several F4U models in 1:35 scale, including a F4U-1D. I have not built that specific model but their models are generally of moderate complexity and excellent fit. I print their 1:35 scale models at 109.375% on Wasau Exact Vellum Bristol tabloid (11x17) to enlarge them to 1:32 scale. They are reasonably priced and have been recommended by several members here.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Bernoullis! That's a great resource!!!

I'll check out BestPaperModels... thanks YB!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Here's what you are looking for:
osCommerce

Scroll down just a bit.

I believe it's a 1/32 scale model. I've never built any of the PMI kits, but I have read that they go together easily, even if they lack a lot of detail.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 AM

Thanks Major! Will look it up, although I just might go with BestPaperModels...
Well, will compare and see how they stack up
Google Adsense
Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 AM

A little bit of searching on these forums here, and I see there is an older thread on making the GOMIX 1/33 scale F4U-1D! A further quick search on the web shows that it still seems to be available for purchase in Eastern Europe: F4U 1D Corsair FlyModel-Gomix 1/33

As an aside, if anyone needs help with foreign language websites, be they retailers or forums, I have found that Google Translate helps a lot! Just go to Google Translate, select your 'From and 'To' languages, and then enter the URL of the page you want translated in the left-hand box (just select and copy it from the address bar of your browser, and then paste it in). A couple of seconds later a link appears in the right-hand box - click on that and you are away!

It isn't perfect, and it occasionally doesn't work, but the vast majority of the time you get an understandable translation that may, for example, help you with that difficult build, or allow you to better understand just exactly what it is you are buying!

By way of example, here is a link to a translated (German to English) build of the GPM F4U-1A over on the Kartonbau.de forums: Google Translate

Enjoy!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 AM

And there is more ......

A 1/33 scale F4U-1D from TRY-KRAPKY (Ukranian, I believe) available on this Spanish site (translated with Google Translate, of course ... ): Google Translate

With a bit of tenacity, it is amazing just what you can find out there!

PS: I can't help feeling that if Halinsky produced an F4 Corsair model, it would probably contain the detail in their SB2C-4 Helldiver, as beautifully built by Top_gan44 SB2C-4 Helldiver
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 AM

I was hoping to find something with instructions I could understand.
But anyway, I will have a look see...

Cheers Bernoullis!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyeige View Post
wow, thanks for all the info.
Yeah, I was specifically looking for a F4U-1D... the 1A does look similiar but it's still not what I'm looking for.

Sigh... gotta keep searching and hope one day a proper F4U-1D will be out in the market!
From your post here, I think you may have missed the link I posted with a couple different liveries of the F4U-1D at 1/33 scale. Here they are again:

1/33 Corsair F4U-1D Nightfighter Lightning - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts
1/33 Corsair F4U-1D Nightfighter Sally - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts for
1/33 Vought F4U-1 Corsair New Zealand livery - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and

And one simpler one, without a cockpit interior or wheel wells (1/50 scale):

1/50 Chance Vought F4U-1D 'Corsair' Paper Model - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and

Also, a build thread showing how they go together. Looks as detailed, if not more, than the bestpapermodels version:

Marek corsair
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 AM

scyeige, I take your point about instructions, but that is a something of a pipedream, sadly. You'll end up never making the model if you hold out for perfect instructions, lol!

Many of the best card models come from east European countries, and those that may include English instructions are sometimes limited and not necessarily well translated. However, that isn't the fault of the people who produce these models - they at least try, and their models are there and available for all. I would rather have their beautiful products in the market place with limited, or no English, instructions than not available at all! In fact, with my limited language skills, I have to raise my hat and bow to all those that can speak/write/read languages other than their mother-tongue!

If I get a model that has no English instructions, my plan is to scan the instructions at a high resolution, use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software on the result (turn it in to identifiable letters/characters), and then translate by copying and pasting those words in to Google Translate. I'm sure it would produce something useful.

Let's face it, these models are the result of hours and hours of work, skill and dedication, by the original artists, and many of the models are not at all expensive. Professional translation costs could easily push them in to a range that would make them unaffordable to many.

Beyond that, there are always the model building forums where folk are already having a go at many of these models, which provide useful details and clues. Where forums are in languages other than English, then my suggestion, as given in an earlier post here, of using Google Translate to convert the pages 'live' as they are read, is a very useful tool. Don't underestimate it!

What ever transpires for you and your hoped-for F4U-1D, I hope it it is an enriching experience!
Google Adsense