PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hey, Chris, is the 50MB file available to me as download, since I have "two left?" If there's no loss of resolution, I'd love that one in storage.

Yah, I went and resized the entire parts file to ~67% to get the 1/50 scale--I'm wary of "print to paper size" prompts, I have no guarantee that the designer was constant in his crops. Just my habit.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
John - Someday maybe

no loss of resoultion for ya on the new file you can get the new one. If someone needs it but is out of downloads/expired I can extend, just let me know!
THanks
Chris
Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
I didn't know the Bear was available. I saw it being built. So, I just purchased it. Thanks, Chris for ECardmodels!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Formidable project, Duster. I wish you well.

I see that people who bought that model also bought the DGA Druine Turbulent. Interesting combination of large and small.

Don
Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Thanks, Chris, got it. Wow, that was lots easier!!
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 PM

I was looking around on YouTube for some suitable inspiration, and--well, prob'ly didn't find it. The most interesting clip without anthem-rock soundtrack was THIS one, even if you don't speak Russian; and no clip captures the hellaLOUDNESS of the beast! I guess you had to be there.

--I wasn't, to be candid--

--BUT, I used to live in Santa Ana, CA back when El Toro was still operational; and a couple times I was treated to nose-on takeoff views of the B-52s from that airstrip. From the 405, it looked like a pyramid of thick black smoke was growing on the horizon, then you noticed an airplane at the peak of the cone...
Impressive.
Made it damned hard to be a decent Leftist Radical, I gotta tell ya.
Once, a BUFF needed to abort and land in a hurry, and dumped a lot of fuel as it came around. --Which landed on the San Diego Freeway morning commute some fifteen minutes later. My silver Capri (Ford, whether German or Yank, had singularly bad silver paint!) sported a curious "freckled" look after that morning.

'Duster
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 713.11 MB
FWIW, I have a friend who was stationed at Barsksdale, AFB (Shreveport, LA) in the early 90's. As the old Soviet Union was phasing out, a number of reciprocal good will visits between the PVO-STRANY and Strategic Air Command occurred. A B-52 visited Russia and at least 2 Tu-95s came to the US, Barksdale to be exact. After arriving overhead at high altitude, the Bears descended and did a couple of "low approaches" (aka flybys). My friend said as they passed over the field, they sounded exactly like the old B-36s from the 50's. I remember that low droning sound and searching the sky until I spotted that tiny distinctive sliver-white silhouette so far above that made all that sound.

v/r

Musket104
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Oh my God yes!
Alpine Ca, ~1956...still way out in the country along Hwy.80 (a current Googlemap view places my old home approximately--under a truckstop--), the silent rural afternoon would be disturbed by the low rattle of sash windows, then the collectors' dishes in the kitchen...and I'd run outside and start searching the sky, and maybe five minutes later, I'd see a contrail waaaay up there with a tiny B-36 speck at its tip.

Wow.

'Duster
Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM

You guys know about the "Thunderscreech," right? While we're talking about tuboprops into the Mach numbers--

Google the "XF-84H"...given the slow response of early jet engines, they were experiencing with a propeller to assist in takeoff & such. They fitted an F-84 with this big spinner nose and three huge paddles, run off the turbojet engine. Given available tech, the power takeoff was just the one speed, clutch-on/clutch-off; and power to the prop's gearbox was through a tubular driveshaft running just inches below the pilot's hope of a next generation.

When the prop was engaged, at full-on revs the prop tips were trans-Mach; the racket was incredible, every pass of a blade delivering a little sonic lovepat. There's a story concerning a poor hapless worker who crawled up in the tailboom of a neighboring aircraft when they ran up the 'Screech some yards away--the guy was carried from the plane convulsing and bleeding from, um, unfortunate places.

Anybody got similar tales for the Bear?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
glad to be of service