PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Skinning the front office

Wilfried and Don thanks. This is one of my favourite subjects, I wish Janx would model that logo/avatar of his!
Anyhows on to todays subject. I started with the after section a squared up boxy section. There are a few connectors on a separate sheet that fit this, I think, but they worked out. what isn't on there is a connector for the broad flat front that the middle section goes on, a straight piece of card fixed this. My caution on this piece is leave the cutout for the landing gear doors intact and cut it out after. (blue arrow). I usually make small starter cuts usually any corners are cut out so that removing is usually a few straight cuts. Next is the middle section. This is a transition piece that takes the sharp squares of the intake section and starts the smooth round of the fwd nose section. My solution, probably Janx as well is to partially score the mid section a few mm where it butts up against the aft section, and gently round out the fwd part to complete the transion yellow to bluish arrows . The 1st of the small problems is the red arrow. The fwd part of the gear well stops short here. This was a surprise considering on the 3d view of the overall instruction the small bulkhead #6 is considerably fwd. I think this may explain the mismatch...
Attached Thumbnails
Supermarine scimitar By Janx-p1020198.jpg  
Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 AM

fwd skinning pt 2

Moving on to the next bit of challenges. The next pic shows a puzzle. The fwd instrument panels are built up to fair in teh small panels port and stb. I fudged up with the hud/gunsight fairing. The upward part is actually supposed to be a trough with the sight sitting in lower. However comma the fwd skin has a cutout and black cover piece already installeds in the upper right of the pic. when you try to slip this on the frame the black piece on the nose section does not fit. too tight. I'm guessing that this might be an either or situation. either no sight, probably a recon version and a flat section, or you leave that small black part out and fair it into the section as originally built. also you can see the arrows showing where the mid section was partially creased to show the transition zone on the upper part of the mid section. I solved the black cover dilemma by cutting out the original gunsight/ panel hump piece and backing the lower piece up to the small instrument panels. i hope later this doesn't mess up the canopy but heres hoping, and a sharp blade to remove stuff to fit!
Attached Thumbnails
Supermarine scimitar By Janx-p1020197.jpg   Supermarine scimitar By Janx-p1020199.jpg   Supermarine scimitar By Janx-p1020205.jpg   Supermarine scimitar By Janx-p1020207.jpg   Supermarine scimitar By Janx-p1020206.jpg  

Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Good to see FAA jets, Ted. And we can hope he likes Swifts.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Last of the gripes for today

The last bit is the small glitches for the fwd section. On the port side of the nose are the aircraft numbers. Far as I can tell using a mk 1 eyeball the fwd most grey needs to be raised to meet the grey line of the blue 6 section. Then the blue 6 needs to be lowered to meet up with the 13 section. If you look from the front this makes alot of sense even though instictively the quicker fix would be to lower the entire blue6/grey to meet up with the front. i think this may have been a glitch created by the nose hinge mechanism (not used on this build), as the starboard 613 lines up just right. Also you can see the fwd gap after the well doors opening has been cut through.
Attached Thumbnails
Supermarine scimitar By Janx-p1020200.jpg   Supermarine scimitar By Janx-p1020202.jpg   Supermarine scimitar By Janx-p1020201.jpg  
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This continues to be a fascinating build to watch. Glitches notwithstanding, the model appears to capture the look of the Scimitar perfectly and it is always enjoyable to see you grappling with the challenges.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 469.82 MB
I am very impressed with the build and the model itself. I will follow this with interest. All I can say is .....I want one.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.15 MB
I'll start on some of the earlier corrections right away Ted, excellent feedback thanks for wading through the muddle.

And the Javelin Model is in the list of things to convert to paper, along with a 1/33 F5D, F3H, Attacker and Sea venom tbh the list is way too long (I have done most of them as 3d models already)
Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by janx View Post
i'll start on some of the earlier corrections right away ted, excellent feedback thanks for wading through the muddle.

And the javelin model is in the list of things to convert to paper, along with a 1/33 f5d, f3h, attacker and sea venom tbh the list is way too long (i have done most of them as 3d models already)
woohoo!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 469.82 MB
I'll second that. Can't wait....classic British aircraft my dream has come true.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Ted, thank goodness you had to devote to the kayak. Great start!

Marco
Currently Building: RN Zara 1:400
Google Adsense