PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
My first tri motor

I finally got her finished today. It was challenging and now that I built one I know why others have built a second. It takes one to figure it all out. I know much care went into the instructions with the detailed drawings and all but I was pulling my hair out trying to guess what Peter meant. Once I finally figured out what I was supposed to do it made sense. I think if some of the folds were shown from the end it would be a lot easier. I would be willing to write some additional instructions to clarify the more challenging parts like the engine mounts and landing gear assembly. Also I think the rigging should be installed before glueing up the wings as that would have been a lot easier to do then rather than later.

I installed a stiff wire in the strut braces to beef them up. On my next one I will make some modifications to the struts and roll them into an airfoil rather than the repeated scoring and folding. This is what the actual plane has so it will be closer to spec. I never did figure out the wing tips assembly as there is a white tab on the forward edge I finally just cut it off and then it worked just fine.

I love the results and the graphics are awsome. The next one will be one without the shrouds on the engines as all the Tri Motors I have seen do not have them and after all that work on the engines it is a shame to cover them up.

Once again Thanks to Peter and all the others who made this wonderful piece of history available to us.
Attached Thumbnails
My first tri motor-gedc0182.jpg   My first tri motor-gedc0180.jpg   My first tri motor-gedc0179.jpg   My first tri motor-gedc0177.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
WOW THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC!!
started mine but just could not get through it, i'll have to try once more after seeing yours.....Rich
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.17 MB
Bionic Modeler;

You should be very proud of your Tri Motor build. Looks Outstanding!

Sam
SERE Instructor 89-95
Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammuel View Post
Bionic Modeler;

You should be very proud of your Tri Motor build. Looks Outstanding!

Sam
Thanks, it was a challenge to say the least. Hey I see you are retired Navy. I served from 63-69. I attended SERE training in Warner Springs CA when I was stationed at North Island. I was an AX-2. Old rating not used any more. Later changed all of them to AW's. I flew P-2's as Julie and Radio operator.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.17 MB
Very cool! I still live in the area. About forty five min from WS. I was an instructor on at WS from 89-95.
SERE Instructor 89-95
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammuel View Post
Very cool! I still live in the area. About forty five min from WS. I was an instructor on at WS from 89-95.
Me too I live in El Cajon.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
You made a very nice job with the tri-motor. As you said there are some things that are not easy to get at first, but in the end it can be done.
Your comment about the rigging is quite true. I made the same: I glued the control cables before. I think that they are best installed in the early steps than in the last.
Congratulations on a nice model