Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I'm definitely learning a lot here. Thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
I'm definitely learning a lot here. Thanks

Thanks, nice to know that others get something out of these build threads.

Keep watching

SFX
Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Landing gear/tires

Tires and landing gear struts

Some have problems with petals on cone shapes, I've always had problems with wheels, tires whatever you want to call them. I think it's the lack of tabs;-)

I carefully cut out the piece
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-001-640.jpg

Using a circle cutter, from corrugated board, I make as many wheel disks as necessary to just fill the empty cylinder that is the inside of the tire.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-002-640.jpg

Glued in place, it is much easier for me to make a perfectly round tire
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-003-640.jpg
I wrap the tread around the outside of the corrugated cardboard fillers

giving me a nice, ridged, round tire
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-004-640.jpg

Same treatment for the other main gear tire and the two smaller nose tires
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-005-640.jpg

A little touching up of the white cut lines on both the tires and the landing gear struts
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-006-640.jpg

I always touch-up the white lines as I do the build. Usually easier to do a little at a time. Do what you find best for your style. Since this metallic paper does not have a white center/core there is very little to touch up on this model........

I wonder if that is why the stepped sections, that several asked about earlier, seemed to be so subdued??!! No white line to deal with!! Just a comment on the fly.

One more comment, For what ever reason, I actually do a build in the order of steps that your seeing me post these photos. I build the fuselage first, then I go right for the smaller sub-assemblies. Early on in a build I have the energy to tackle the ticky-tacky little fiddlies. As the project goes on I've already dealt with the small stuff and when the bigger parts (wings and things) start showing up, its easier to get them finished as my energy and interest is waning.

Next up: The Main Engines

SFX

Last edited by Swampfox; 11-04-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Tires always give me trouble! Most of my planes get built without them, hang then in flight config. The anhedral used on the B-57 is one of the things always thought were so cool about the look of it. Keep up the great build.....Rich
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Tires always give me trouble! Most of my planes get built without them, hang then in flight config. The anhedral used on the B-57 is one of the things always thought were so cool about the look of it. Keep up the great build.....Rich
I know what your saying about the anhedral, it one of the major draws this plane has always had for me.

It reminds me of what a hawk does to protect its kill. Getting down real low and extending it's wings to ward other predators off. It's called "Mantling".

Your idea about hanging your models in flight configuration, to leave the landing gear, is a good one.

How's your NASA '57's wings holding up hanging from the ceiling? Any drooping that shouldn't be there?

SFX
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Never thought about the hawk thing but your right i see that too. No trouble with sag but i hang mine at a slight angle so less effect on the wings?....Rich

WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-100_3241.jpgWB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-100_3242.jpg
Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Quote:
One more comment, For what ever reason, I actually do a build in the order of steps that your seeing me post these photos. I build the fuselage first, then I go right for the smaller sub-assemblies. Early on in a build I have the energy to tackle the ticky-tacky little fiddlies. As the project goes on I've already dealt with the small stuff and when the bigger parts (wings and things) start showing up, its easier to get them finished as my energy and interest is waning.
Wisely said.

You never dremel your wheels? - L
Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
Wisely said.

You never dremel your wheels? - L
You know Leif, I never have, for a reason most would say is silly. It's the same reason I still use paper/card canopies instead of making clear plastic replacements.

I like to use only paper or card in the entire construction process and use as little other media as possible.......However, after seeing some of the excellent builds I've seen in our forums using alternate materials, I am slowly being forced to re-consider my reasoning.

SFX
Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
OK. I see; you want to build up details as much as possible by using thin paper, sheets of them, not stacking layers of card together and sand them. I could sympathize with that, e.g. when we come to formers. I would very much like to see a process developed whereby it became a standard to build up rigid formers by lining doubled up paper parts with thin paper strips. You could also imagine a double-surfaced former with and "X" or similar of paper strips inside.

Extra work & hassel for no good reason some would say - but I wouldn't mind, and nor would you, I gather.

Your wheels look fine. But I do miss that rounded profile a bit...

Leif
Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
OK. I see; you want to build up details as much as possible by using thin paper, sheets of them, not stacking layers of card together and sand them. I could sympathize with that, e.g. when we come to formers. I would very much like to see a process developed whereby it became a standard to build up rigid formers by lining doubled up paper parts with thin paper strips. You could also imagine a double-surfaced former with and "X" or similar of paper strips inside.

Extra work & hassel for no good reason some would say - but I wouldn't mind, and nor would you, I gather.

Your wheels look fine. But I do miss that rounded profile a bit...

Leif
How easy it is to confuse by not being clear, which at times, I'm not.

What I was hoping to convey is that I prefer the challenge of using only paper products, thin, thick makes no difference to me. Just do a build with only paper related material. I know that with today's technologies that the definition can be quite wide ranging and that can lead to quite a variety of paper like materials.

I have been looking for ways of making more rounded wheels using paper only construction. Do you know of any attempts at doing that?

SFX
Google Adsense