PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1101  
Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 AM
scissorsandplanes's Avatar
scissorsandplanes scissorsandplanes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 4,697
Total Downloaded: 216.69 MB
Hi Johnny and Steve,

I also just checked the sizes of both aircraft (Super VC-10 and B727 for comparison). You never know I might have been completely wacko.

the Super VC-10 measures 52,32m by 44,55m and the B727 only 46,69 by 32,92.
So permitting a few milimeters of error in scaling and printing, the model appears rather accurate (in scale that is). Mind you, it is a Super VC-10, not a normal version (which indeed is about 48m in length, as Steve found.

My honour is saved

Bruno
Reply With Quote
  #1102  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM
JohnM's Avatar
JohnM JohnM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales, UK.
Posts: 4,614
Total Downloaded: 642.62 MB
Yep, that 16.1 cm checks out Steve.

I was just surprised to find it substantially fatter than a 707 ...



It's as fat as a Herkybird, and it dwarfs this RAF extended body one ...



Well it was over twenty years ago now. I guess the memory is fadin' fast huh?

Whatever ... It's still a beeeeautiful big bird. Thank you Bruno.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.
Reply With Quote
  #1103  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 AM
scissorsandplanes's Avatar
scissorsandplanes scissorsandplanes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 4,697
Total Downloaded: 216.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Yep, that 16.1 cm checks out Steve.

I was just surprised to find it substantially fatter than a 707 ...

It's as fat as a Herkybird, and it dwarfs this RAF extended body one ...

Well it was over twenty years ago now. I guess the memory is fadin' fast huh?

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.
There is of course also the possibility that the 3-view I used is a little wrong.
And Checking that one, I also remember now that the fuselage should be a little higher than wide. (1 mm difference )

Your eyes and memory are much better than you think. You actually spot the difference of 1 mm.

(O sorry, I'm joking again. Silly me)

Bruno
Reply With Quote
  #1104  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM
JohnM's Avatar
JohnM JohnM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales, UK.
Posts: 4,614
Total Downloaded: 642.62 MB
Ah ha! So you mean I should squash it out of round a little bit.

Whilst we're nit picking, how much (in cm) should I shorten the fuselage to turn it into a Standard?

For that matter, looking at the pictures I supplied earlier, can either of you confirm whether XV107 is a Standard or Super? This ignorant ol' Pongo can't tell the difference.

As she was around in 1968, I would assume she was standard, but I could be wrong.

Johnny.
Reply With Quote
  #1105  
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM
scissorsandplanes's Avatar
scissorsandplanes scissorsandplanes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 4,697
Total Downloaded: 216.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Ah ha! So you mean I should squash it out of round a little bit.

Whilst we're nit picking, how much (in cm) should I shorten the fuselage to turn it into a Standard?

For that matter, looking at the pictures I supplied earlier, can either of you confirm whether XV107 is a Standard or Super? This ignorant ol' Pongo can't tell the difference.

As she was around in 1968, I would assume she was standard, but I could be wrong.

Johnny.
If I'm not mistaking (that is if only the fuselage was lengthened and not the tail) the difference would be 1.3 cm. Judging from the pictures I would say the XV107 is a standard VC-10. I guess the windows and doors might change with the shorter fuselage.
Reply With Quote
  #1106  
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM
JohnM's Avatar
JohnM JohnM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales, UK.
Posts: 4,614
Total Downloaded: 642.62 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorsandplanes View Post
If I'm not mistaking (that is if only the fuselage was lengthened and not the tail) the difference would be 1.3 cm. Judging from the pictures I would say the XV107 is a standard VC-10. I guess the windows and doors might change with the shorter fuselage.
I guess this is where I have to start counting windows, eh?

Oh, by the way, that B707 isn't mentioned on your Freebies list. If I remember rightly, it was the first of your models that I downloaded, and the download was given on someone else's thread. Can't seem to locate it right now though.

Johnny.

PS: There ya go ... Boeing-707 & kc-135
Reply With Quote
  #1107  
Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 PM
JohnM's Avatar
JohnM JohnM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales, UK.
Posts: 4,614
Total Downloaded: 642.62 MB
Confirmed ... All RAF VC10s (even the later conversions from second hand BOAC planes) had the Standard length fuselage , not the longer Super version, but they all had the bigger engines of the super

Those built for the RAF (Like XV107) also had a large cargo loading door between the two forward passenger doors.



You can see the outline of it if you zoom in on the Abingdon picture. Look for the unevenly spaced windows either side of the hatch.



I've also discovered that she WAS converted to a refueller. The reason you can see daylight through the hull is that NONE of the tanker versions had tanks in the passenger cabins. They fully retained the upper passenger/cargo deck, and the tanks were fitted in the lower cargo area.

She was used for casualty evacuation in the the Falklands and munitions supply in the Gulf. So she was probably converted before the last time I fell out of her. Can't remember if the nose probe was there or not, but I wouldn't have noticed in the dark.

OK, I got all the info ... now all I gotta do is the re-paint
There's a first time for everything I suppose.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.

PS: Life was much simpler making birds of the feathered type. How did I get involved in these big silver ones?
Reply With Quote
  #1108  
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM
scissorsandplanes's Avatar
scissorsandplanes scissorsandplanes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 4,697
Total Downloaded: 216.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Those built for the RAF (Like XV107) also had a large cargo loading door between the two forward passenger doors.

OK, I got all the info ... now all I gotta do is the re-paint
There's a first time for everything I suppose.
Try this one on for size.
It's a standard with adapted windows and doors.

I added the XV107 registration and the "air support command".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VC-10 Scissors and Planes.pdf (31.3 KB, 522 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1109  
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
croden's Avatar
croden croden is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,967
Total Downloaded: 843.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorsandplanes View Post
Try this one on for size.
It's a standard with adapted windows and doors.

I added the XV107 registration and the "air support command".
Any news on the BMI A330?
Reply With Quote
  #1110  
Old 01-24-2014, 01:41 PM
scissorsandplanes's Avatar
scissorsandplanes scissorsandplanes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 4,697
Total Downloaded: 216.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by croden View Post
Any news on the BMI A330?
No news.


just kidding.
it's xmas in January.

Here it is. Hope it turns out OK
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A330-300 BMI Scissors and Planes.pdf (34.8 KB, 391 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 8.33%
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2007-2020, Paper Modelers.com