PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-26-2019, 10:49 AM

Location: Tultepec,Estado de México; about 30 Km to downtown Mexico, City
Total Downloaded: 1.36 GB
Ghost in the Machine

Now that Bruno is very busy with his job (Have to provide his family), give us time for build and projects. One project that is at 90% is JohnM's request for a Tristar in RAF colors. Based on the model L1011 Tristar of TWA uploaded to the forum by LitNik, I started with the recolor. Although Bruno is given credit, he has already made it clear that he did not design it. And it is true: when you start to build it you notice some subtle differences, for example, the external lines of each of the parts are thinner, about half of what Bruno uses. Another subtle difference is the cabin. Then, when importing the file to Inkscape and trying to ungroup it, it was observed that it ungrouped in 12 horizontal bands. But the model lends itself well to recolor with only a few patches. The recolor was finished and when trying to print it to start the test construction the problems started. The printer took 23 minutes and printed the base with TWA colors, I printed again with the same result. Then I tried to print it directly from Inkscape but to my surprise the base was printed again with TWA colors. I started to despair because this is supposed to be a hobby to relax, not to stress me out. Then I printed it virtually using Foxit Printer but it turned out worse, since now there were only incomplete pieces. And finally I opened the file with PhotoShop and saved it as JPEG and only then I could print it and start the construction test. now analyzing things the first thing I realize is that the original LitNik file is very heavy: 5.86 Mb that's why it was uploaded compressed. Only God and he knows in what program he elaborated it but for a moment I thought about sending everything far away, and concentrate on the thread that I have open about the recolors of my friend Wireandpaper. As you see, Johnny, I have not forgotten your order, just give me more time to complete it. Some misalignments on the left side only.Regards,Tony.
Attached Thumbnails
One model per (non-working) day-captura-lockheed-tristar.jpg   One model per (non-working) day-dsc02176.jpg   One model per (non-working) day-dsc02177.jpg   One model per (non-working) day-dsc02178.jpg  
Old 03-26-2019, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Y'all take as long as ya need Tony. I'm just grateful that you've taken it on at all and sorry it has given you so much trouble. As you say, 5.86Mb does seem a bit heavy, so I checked my files. I have somehow ended up with three .pdf files with slightly varying file names, but they all seem identical with a 686Kb size. Makes me wonder what you used to unzip the file? I always use 7zip. It seems to handle everything I throw at it.

I'm not sure how to add a pdf here but I'll have a go ... PM me an email address to send it to if that didn't work. but it does seem to have done for me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf L1011-Tristar_TWA.pdf (686.7 KB, 185 views)
Old 03-26-2019, 11:41 AM

Just as an experiment, I just downloaded LiNik's zip file from #6657 again. The zip came in at 543KB and (using 7zip) unzipped to 686KB. So I'm as baffled as you are as to what happened to your download.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.20 GB
Wooo Tristar RAF ,super Tony
Old 03-26-2019, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
I looked for the file I downloaded ages ago and found a pdf file of 687 kb. If I open and save it in inkscape, the size grows to 4642 kb. It's a bitmap model made of a bunch of horizontal stripes (I found 35 of them). It looks like Inkscape converts the original to a different bitmap format that takes up more room.

Inkscape isn't the best tool in this case. A bitmap program like PSP, Photoshop, Paint.net or the Gimp would be better.

The other solution to keep the size down would be to trace the model in inkscape and convert it to vectors.

Last edited by cafe; 03-26-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:41 PM

Dunno if this is useful or not, but I've just imported the pdf into the Gimp and exported it as a .jpg , bringing the file size down to 187KB.

Oooer .... If I do a save as on that I get a 55.9KB .jpg. I guess it must be shedding quality at every stage.
Guess I'll butt out and leave this to someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:45 PM

Location: Tultepec,Estado de México; about 30 Km to downtown Mexico, City
Total Downloaded: 1.36 GB
Don´t worry about it, the job is almost done. I have to use Photoshop. Maybe upload it tomorrow. Thanks Johnny.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
nice activity. thanks

Sorry for my absence. perhaps I'll get something done this weekend (especially for those who have some messages pending).

Bruno
Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Glad to here from you.

As you saw, everyone has been doing very nice recolors of your An-2.
And also of grate historic importance or interesting trivia, like the Vietnamese attack plane or the clandestine operation from North Korea.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Another An-2 Repaint

Just submitted this one for approval.
Attached Thumbnails
One model per (non-working) day-milka-3-.jpg  

Tags
hornet, policía federal