PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-27-2024, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to adolfocaetnonetto
Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32

Hello, people.
This model is already under construction, well advanced in fact. I try mounting something so huge two times, many years ago; one F-14 Tomcat, that warped and was wothless. The other is a Hanrioth HD.1, that was finish, but the cables spoiled, so I was angry and abandoned it. One day, i will conclude it.
Back to the SE5, while a good time (2 years more and less) it was abandoned, but I decided finish him. So, I will show the finalization for you. I hope you enjoy.
This how the mounting is right now.
Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-2.jpg Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-1.jpg Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-3.jpg
Details of the cockpit. In very close images the defects (like the paper lint and wrong cuts are very, very proeminent). But in the hand, in naked eye, they arent visibles.
Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-4.jpg Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-5.jpg
Old 04-28-2024, 10:26 AM

So, I restart the mounting with the wings. I cuted the shape of the wings out of card board (two pieces for each wing - superior and inferior surfaces). The cardboard that I use is the same of the products box, like cereals or medicines, that I bye in stationery stores (this a new word that I met.
Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-7.jpg
Later I cut foam pieces that are sanded to have the correct profile; in sequence I glued the foam pieces in the cardboads pieces, using silicon glue. Below you see the wing profile that I made (in this case, the superior surface). The foam is to maintain the shape of the wing.
Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-6.jpg

After the silicon glue dry, I glued the two surfaces of the each wing, using white glue. I apllied glue in the wing leading edge; after the drying, I repeat the process in the lateral edge end wing trailing edge. Here you see the profile of the wing, with the internal foam.
Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-img_20240428_104633.jpg

And I sanded the edges of the wing. You can notice the sanding of the trailing edge of the wing. Well, I did this four times - and this is a suc....
Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-img_20240428_104711.jpg
Old 04-28-2024, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Cameras are often very unflattering to models, and when viewed with the eye the imperfections disappear. Not only that, but when the model is unpainted or in a base coat it shows any untidy parts, this is actually done on purpose by plastic modellers so they can see where to use filler. Once the real paint and markings are on they hide many things and draw the eye to the good parts.

I never thought of using foam to create the profile of a wing before, although I have stuffed materials into the space inside thick wings before to help stop deforming when handing.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwi View Post
I never thought of using foam to create the profile of a wing before, although I have stuffed materials into the space inside thick wings before to help stop deforming when handing.
Helo Siwi. I use the foam a long veru time, including in other model parts, for example to maintain the shape of the fuselage, if are risk it to bender, or glued above some pieces, to maintain it in the place, as long as the foam don't appear.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:26 PM

Here are the horizontal empennages, elevators and rudder. These pieces were already ready, and I will try explain how I built it.
They was build with cardboard (three or four layers, I dont remember. Later I glued some paper strips in the pieces, to simulate the empennage ribs; finaly I glued white paper (A4) over the pieces, to simulate the entrapment (its correct? hte name of the tarpaulins that recovered the airplane is this?).
Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-9.jpg
The exhaust pipes made with a bamboo stick, with paper strips glued around the stick; on the other tip I glued four tiny paper pieces, where the exhaust gases scape. The piece above the pipes is the vickers machine gun, that are mounted over the airplane nose - its a simple barbecue stick with some paper strips over it, and a tiny piece of the electrical wire covering, all painted with acrilic gun metal (in realy is a acrilic metallic black, for workcraft).
Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-10.jpg Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-11.jpg
Now I made the scope, with a thin bamboo stick; I glued paper strips around the bamboo, to make the details of the scope; and I painted with my "gun metal"; the scope suports are painted with green (that I will use in the camouflage. In the tip I apllied some white glue to simulate the scope lens, after the drying.
Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-12.jpg Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-12a.jpg Royal Aricraft Factory SE5a, cardboard scratchbuilt 1/32-se5a-13.jpg
Old 04-30-2024, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Amazing work! I remenber HD-1 is simply amazing!
Old 04-30-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomidefilho View Post
Amazing work! I remenber HD-1 is simply amazing!
Thanks, my friend. I swear that I finish it, on day... I hope...

Tags
1:32, scratchbuilt, se5a