PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
1/16 scale Po-2, "Night witches" version

I have started building the Kartonowa Kolekcia Po-2, the Russian "Night Witches" version. The model is scaled to 1/16 from the original 1/33, so it is slightly larger than double the size.

The Po-2 is the most produced biplane in the world, ever, and high on the list of most produced aircraft all categories (the all time high is carried by the Cessna 172).

I have started by making several subassemblies, such as the engine, cockpit interior, landing gear, and sundry other details. This is the state of the build at the time of writing this:

Note the nice wooden case for the printed sheets and larger cut-out parts. Picked it up at a flea-market for a pittance. Very happy about it.

I'd like to make a couple of notes about my procedure for rescaling a printed model, and some notes of interest on the subassemblies already made, but first a list of the material about the Polikarpov Po-2 already on the site. It is mainly in another, very long, thread, so It's good to have quick links to some of its main sections collected here:

Previous material on the Po-2 on this site:

• Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33 - thread by Chris "ccoyle" with a lot of research involving several people, myself among them. No build, though.

• Winter/Night Po-2 - build by Chris "cjwalas", of the BPM model. This is a simpler model than the one built here, but still good - and available in both summer & winter liveries, as demonstrated by Chris.

• Polikarpov Po-2 reference drawing (2.08 MB) - in the dowloads section.

• Polikarpov Po-2 reference drawing II (5.63 MB) - improved version in the dowloads section.

• Polikarpov Po-2 details reference pack (3.25 MB) - a lot of sketches, in the downloads section.

• Po-2 walkaround photos - of a Yugoslav restored aircraft. Good photos!

• Charlie's goldmine for Po-2 references explored - color profiles. Source for much of the material referred to above.

• Recoloring the KK model - a very interesting experiment with recoloring the KK model of the Polish version (previous KK model to the KK Russian version modeled here). Could be used (I hope) as inspiration for similar projects.

• Discussion about pods starting here. This would require some design effort. A couple of these pods would make a most interesting add-on for the Po-2 Russian version. Ideally, you would also recolor the aircraft, losing the written text and changing the insignia. The main, Russian, camo paint scheme should be kept, however.

• Discussion about German photos from the war on the eastern front starting here. A rare glimpse of a moment on the eastern front, from the invading German point of view. Interesting discussion with the German archive authorities.

• Period film clips of the Po-2 - some links may be defunct; search for the missing ones on the web.

• Shuttleworth Po-2 - marvellous photos of a superb restoration, much like the one modeled here,

• New version of the Kartonowa Kolekcja Po-2 with links to text and film about night witches. This is the first notification of the version modeled here.

• Origin of electric motor - "Guess what got gutted here…". Fun thread about an electric motor & rechargeable batery, ultimately used in this model. But where did it come from? - See if you can guess.

Much other material can be found by searing for "Night Witches" and "Polikarpov Po-2" on the web.

Until next time, then

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
1/16 scale Po-2, "Night witches" version-subassemblies-1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Wow, that got my full attention. I can tell this is going to be a awesome model.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Looks great Leif, the engine and gear look great from here
Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Leif - This is another example of your superb research skills, graphic talent, and model building craftsmanship - not to mention your invariably clean, tidy, and well-ordered wrok space, which is a pleasure to behold. I look forward to seing the rest of the story on this project and this historic airplane. Don
Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Leif, I'm not sure, but I think I am strongly jealous of your skills. Wow!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
A work of art in just the layout of what you have done so far!! Looking forward to future installments.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Leif, I can't tell you how much I've wanted this to happen! There's simply no one better to build this model. Fantastic!
Chris
Old 07-08-2013, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Don has already said it all, really, but I am compelled to add my bit! When Leif gets 'into gear' with a model build you just know that is going to be well researched, carefully assembled and crisply photographed. Furthermore, it will all be accompanied by a masterful, detailed written explanation of precisely what is being done, in what order, and why! Leif, your threads are the template for model builds - everyone should be as meticulous as you!

Looking forward to keeping an eye on this one, Leif!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Leif,
I understand that you are thinking about our health and well being, but I assure you that at least I have my seat belt and crash helmet on and I already taken few pils to calm down so don't be afraid and hit us with the closeups of those little masterpieces - we can handle it
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Leif. Another state-of-art building. I watch with great interest.
Google Adsense