PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-22-2015, 02:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 250.94 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
Todd,
Careful rolling of the paper in the correct points will give the paper a memory of sorts, that allows it to hold it's shape. This pre-curving/rolling allows you to get quite accurate shapes without having to fuss with formers.

The plane is built in sections. The forward fuselage, which is the nose, cockpit sections, and the main part that fits between the engine intakes is one component. The engine intakes, belly of plane are another. The exhaust cones tack onto that I believe. The wings are another component, that fits into the intake/belly piece.

It is rather ingeniously designed. Once the parts start coming together, they both strengthen and help shape the other parts. I wish I had taken more photos of the build process to show what I mean.
Since the instructions are sparse and not clear, I did a really dirty test build (and the color laser printer decided to really dirty it up), with 65lb/176g cardstock, and found that I wasn't able to get the right shape, which threw everything off. Couldn't figure out the wing spar fit and how to attach the wings either. And due to the shape issues, couldn't figure out how to get the canopy section attached right. (Butt edge gluing is also required for that, which is something I need more experience with.) And thus, shape issues continue with the exhaust plate/cones.

It's also an issue of experience on my part. I thought I would be ready for a level 2 (out of 5) model, however I'm just not there yet. A good exercise for experience. and I'll have to come back to this one at a later time.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Woodward View Post
Since the instructions are sparse and not clear, I did a really dirty test build (and the color laser printer decided to really dirty it up), with 65lb/176g cardstock, and found that I wasn't able to get the right shape, which threw everything off. Couldn't figure out the wing spar fit and how to attach the wings either. And due to the shape issues, couldn't figure out how to get the canopy section attached right. (Butt edge gluing is also required for that, which is something I need more experience with.) And thus, shape issues continue with the exhaust plate/cones.

It's also an issue of experience on my part. I thought I would be ready for a level 2 (out of 5) model, however I'm just not there yet. A good exercise for experience. and I'll have to come back to this one at a later time.
Aaron's (Oddball productions and/or Murph's Models) are normally quite easy but some you do need some experience building, especially with regards to unique fuselage shapes and a lack of formers (in most models).

His B-57 might be an easier option, otherwise, try one of his Trojans available for free download off his website as seen in my signature.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
That *IS* a pretty plane. I already love the T-38's aesthetics, its curved lines from the intake over the hip to the tail, the low wing inset, the long elegantly curved and well-placed cockpit, it is a pretty plane. And this model is too. Well shaped, great rendition.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 250.94 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
That *IS* a pretty plane. I already love the T-38's aesthetics, its curved lines from the intake over the hip to the tail, the low wing inset, the long elegantly curved and well-placed cockpit, it is a pretty plane. And this model is too. Well shaped, great rendition.
Yes, the T-38 certainly has a very pleasing asthetic. Beyond that, for me as an dreamer and armchair rocket scientist, the NASA's T-38 fleet was a frequent sight in the great events over the last several decades.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:34 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Great kit, impressive build!
Always had a love for this bird. Have a grand total of about an hour of flight time in one.
Google Adsense
Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I'm glad you guys like it! It is a sweet plane, both in real life and paper. My desktop background on my work computer is of #00 at Space Center Houston. I went down there back in '08 for a work (fun summer job) trip. We also got to see the active aircraft at Ellington Field. Well, we looked at them through a fence, but it was cool. No T-38s flying that day, but we got buzzed by a couple F-18s.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Pretty good model!

My eyes saw potential for a detailed cockpit, maybe a kit-bash building.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I thought the same, but didn't have time to do it when I built the model. Maybe in the future.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
As for what-ifs: I really love this one: Tony Chong: Talons in Space: Northrop's N-205 Proposal
Old 10-13-2017, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Resurrecting the thread to ask what the actual scale of Aaron's T-38 is? The kit parts say 1:31, but the instructions say 1:38.

Important to me, because I'll probably downscale the model to 1:48.

Les (The Voice of Authority)
Google Adsense