PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-28-2014, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a most welcome thread. The original airplane holds great fascination for me for its attractive appearance and as a late-Golden Age airliner. I hope some day to build one for myself and so am following your adventure closely.

The work so far looks very good and, although I can imagine your thoughts after getting so far and then realizing that separate tabs were available, but your experience was valuable for the rest of us, and the model is so good that I know you will persevere (I have a box full of failed Roman Vasyliev/Ryan Short Stinson L-5s and another box full of failed Jim Gausman Otters with no final success with either yet - work continues).

Please do continue on and continue to share your experiences with us.

Don
Old 06-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for the tip, Shalom.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:23 AM

Thanks, Don. Yea, I was so disappointed when finding that separate tabs were available, but by then the fuselage was already together and I find that there are a few seam fit issues. But so far I am loving this build....even with my seam errors it is going together even better than I had expected and I shall persevere to the bitter end....and with everyone's help and input, do it again...the right way.

Last edited by tincan871; 06-28-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: words omitted
Old 06-28-2014, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
I see you cut out where the wing formers are to go on the fuselage parts. Unless you have something else planned, those sections should stay in place as a guide to where the formers go.

I have some good interior photos and a nice cutaway drawing. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you.

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:27 PM

I see what you mean John. Hope the fairings cover up the vacant spot. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there......I had a feeling something didn't look right but couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks. About the interior pics..WOW, that's great...thanx. Will send you a PM with e-mail address
Google Adsense
Old 06-28-2014, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
I have the beginnings of the interior aft of the cockpit laid out, but the formers and spar would need some serious redesign to make it fit. I was planning a smaller entry/galley area to start with as well, but just haven't had the time. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.

Scott K.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 PM

I expect to learn much in this first build and apply these improvements to the 2nd, including some partial interior work at the entry door....will be giving this much thought along the way.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:40 AM

Sa-307b

Sheet 5....I chose to work with sheet 5 (before 4) since it included the center section and wing spar. At first, I found it a little difficult to picture the built up spar but as I began to cut and shape, it all came together. Left and right side are identical....one slides into the other and the built spar fits beautifully into the designated cut-out in the center section. I laminated the 2 stiffeners to a scrap sheet of artist mat board and one stiffener fits perfectly on either side of the spar. Amazingly, these stiffeners are the only interior support used on the fuselage (due to my own oversight). Even without that additional support, the model is feels quite solid but that will be remedied on the next build. This error is of my own making, as the support/stiffener patterns are included in the back pages of the kit, along with the detached tabs. Duhhhh...what was I thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-21-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-22-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-23-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-28-.jpg  

Last edited by tincan871; 06-29-2014 at 07:01 AM. Reason: add text
Old 06-29-2014, 07:44 AM

Sa-307b

Fuselage sections 1 thru 8, including wing spar, assembled.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-1-3-.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great, and I am making note of your construction methods.

Don
Google Adsense