PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-06-2020, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I have been asked a few times to show how I build my Scissors and Planes models. I have recoloured Bruno's Ju-87D and will document my build. The model is printed on HP Premium 32 paper.

First, is a picture of the stuff I use to build. I build at the coffee table sitting on a sofa watching TV for about an hour a night. When I am done everything goes into the drawer. If you have any questions along the way just ask.
I cut off the joining strips and colour them with the side of a pencil. If the model is dark I press harder, if it is light I press softer. Everything is cut out with scissors. I start with the middle of the fuselage (the piece with joining strips on both ends). I glue the pieces together with glue on the end of a bamboo skewer, this is also one of my rolling pieces.

Brent
Very nice to see you hardware my friend. And this tip to color with black (grafite) pencil is a very fine and useful technique. Many thanks for share.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.45 MB
Thank you for the comments.

As I continue the fuselage I always have a 3view plan of the plane handy. I like to use plans that have the shape of the formers so I can shape the pieces correctly. I always lightly colour the edges of each piece with pencil so you won't see any white. Press too hard and you will see the dark pencil line when you join the pieces.

For the tail I cut off all the tabs, colour the inside where I glue with pencil and then only glue on the very end of the connection. When it is dry I place a lightly folded over scrap piece inside to give the tail some thickness and make it more rigid.

This tail fits over the fuselage so there is lots of area to glue it on. If the tail just glued to the top of the fuselage I would put 2 coloured pieces to slide the tail over. I will be doing this when I attach the wings, so you will see what I mean.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-builde.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildf.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildg.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildh.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildi.jpg  

Old 11-07-2020, 11:03 AM

To attach the wing I will cut out coloured pieces (or the wing from a second print out) and edge glue those pieces onto the line of the wing on the fuselage. I will then cut out and glue the internal wing piece with the correct dihedral. While I am waiting for this to dry I will cut out the wing. The wing is the only piece that I will keep the connecting tab on. Score and fold the connecting tab and colour the tab with the edge of a pencil. Preform wing and glue the wing shut with the tab.

Test fit the wing to fuselage by sliding over the pieces glued to the plane. When you are happy with the fit edge glue to the fuselage.
The Stuka has a 2 piece wing so, cut the joining tabs and glue inside the wing just attached to the fuselage. When making the wing I always leave the tip open until the end. This way I can still get inside the wing with a bamboo skewer to fix any fit issues.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildj.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildk.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildl.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildm.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildn.jpg  

Old 11-07-2020, 02:03 PM

Now that the wings are on I will work on the canopy. I cut out the canopy, edge colour with my pencil and use little cut out connecting strips on the inside. I then attach the canopy, trying to make sure it is in the middle. I only glued it down in the back because I might remove it later to put on a new one when I match up the camo on the canopy rails.
Next I attach the rear elevators. Again I have cut off the connecting tabs and edge glued to the tail.
For the wheel spats I burnish a curve on the inside and top using the eraser as a pad. I then edge glued every thing together, again with no tabs.
I then started to attach the little bits on the bottom.
It is at this stage that I usually fly it around my work area to see if it looks right.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildp.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildq.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildr.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-builds.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildu.jpg  

Old 11-07-2020, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Nice legs

Shadings on undersides-are those German in origin or something else?

I've never seen anything similar to that on udersides.Top and sides yes,absolutely.Many of WW1 German planes had something a bit like that,usually single engine bombers.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
Great work so far, Brent.
By the way, as you're building Ju-87 right now, may I suggest another interesting, even really interesting, example of this plane? It's an aircraft I planned to include in my repaints catalogue but unfortunately, for some reason, I can't force myself to work on anything that flies. I guess my Peruvian Mirage is the first and last recolor for this year...
Anyway, the subject I suggest is a Japanese Ju-87. I don't think I've ever seen a model of this aircraft. Even in plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 scale is the new black-ju87japbw.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-japan-ju-87-profile.jpg  
Old 11-07-2020, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Looks fantastic Brent. Do the new Ju 87s have the dive flaps separate?
Old 11-07-2020, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Kacper-I don't know if Bruno made this early version yet.It's on the list but not yet published last I heard.I'm kind of waiting for it too.

Brents version does look like it has separate control surfaces on wings.I don't see dive brakes.Those are easy to make judging by pictures.

Keep in mind that not all Ju-87 had dive brakes and they are absent on many period pictures just like wheel spats.

BF-109 drop tanks are often seen under wings of Ju-87 as well to extend range.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDRTED View Post
Looks fantastic Brent. Do the new Ju 87s have the dive flaps separate?

Yes the flaps are separate.

Karol, this plane is from a night bomber squadron NSG9 and they sprayed some dark patterns on the underside to break up the pale blue. Since this plane was not used in the dive bomber role the dive brakes were removed in the field.

I built a wheel next, I colour the back with black and put it together. The wheel did not fit in the spat. I cut the wheel in half and inserted the halves. This worked great and I only had to build one wheel.
To start the flaps I glued apiece of green to the light blue and cut little mounting strips for the flaps and glued them to the bottom wing.
I put the top and bottom flap together after rolling them and only gluing the edges to give them a bit of shape. I then glued on the flaps.

Next I built the nose. Again I use the burnishing tool and eraser on the end nose piece. After the 2 pieces are glued together and dry I will burnish the inside more on the eraser to try and make it look one piece. I forgot to do this and glued on the nose the way it was.

Just the propeller and small bits to add and it is done. As this is a test build I won't be adding a bomb, cannons or rear machine guns.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildv.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildw.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildx.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildy.jpg   1/100 scale is the new black-stuka-buildz.jpg  

Old 11-07-2020, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Thank you for sharing the construction process.
I was totally unaware of the use of the wavy camo on top of the regular pattern. It makes a lot of sense and economy!