PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-29-2015, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Your troubles notwithstanding, the fillet section looks really good. Glad you're moving on. - L.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Job well done, Erik !
Old 01-29-2015, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
It's looking really good to me, Erik. I had to look back twice to notice the camo filler strips, and I wouldn't have noticed them at all if you hadn't mentioned them.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hello, back again and thanks for your reactions.

The work continues with the inner construction of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers, not very difficult. Also the radio transmitter and receiver are in place now, just barely visible as they are covered by fuselage back section part 50. The black rim of the orange triangle on either side of the fuselage is partly printed on this part so it has to be accurately positioned.
At this stage I also used thin brass rod to create the framework in the cockpit area. I prefer to use brass (Dutch: messing) over e.g. paper clips as the metal is softer and it can be bend and shaped easier. Painted the metal parts light grey.

The pilot’s seat clashes somewhat with the metal structure and I placed it as the very last item in the cockpit area. From plastic spruce I created the cable (painted in Tamiya rubber black) between radio and antenna mast. Found this detail after studying actual pictures of the aircraft and thought it would be a nice addition since it will be quite visible. The mast itself will be installed later, after placing of the canopy. Part 88 needs to be positioned in between the four legs of the metal structure and is the platform on which the mast is actually mounted. I ran the cable through the platform and will finish the details later.

Well, that's it for now. Next will be the tail section.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5626.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5627.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5628.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5630.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5631.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5633.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5905.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5912.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5913.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5914.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5915.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 06:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Nice neat work on the cockpit

Most of it should be on show too - always a bonus

Tim
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2015, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
the cockpit looks excellent.

YOAV
Old 02-04-2015, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
It's good to have a seemingly well-working and fully functional radio aboard! - L.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
You surprise me every time you show new pictures.
I admire your precision and your very clean work !
Old 02-13-2015, 01:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The tail section

Thank you friends.

Leif, if you're out there, the radios in the D-XXI are a bit of a story. Originally, no radios were installed (after all the Dutch army was a budget army in those days, the air force being no exception to this) although later on it was thought that per group of operating aircraft, consisting of one leader and two wingmen, at least the leader should get a radio in his machine. He could then transmit any message to his wingmen by using hand signals. Perhaps you have to be Dutch to understand such stinginess but eventually more D-XXI’s were equipped with radios, at least the entire fighter group (1st JaVA) to which this aircraft belonged. In any case, in the late thirties radios cost 5000 guilders each, which was a lot of money in those days, and it was complicated, heavy and unpractical equipment to install and operate. Also hard to get as many armies were beefing up at the same time.

Anyway, I’ve been struggling a bit with the tail section. Had problems with proper positioning of the rudder, the symmetry was not to my liking and I “revamped” the part somewhat by cutting it open at the back side and inserting a pre-shaped piece of cardboard with sandpapered edges. In this way I could add just sufficient rigidness to the rudder to make it symmetrical and with a straight edge. Can’t show you pictures of this, I was too concentrated (and to be honest, also too frustrated) to save the model. Note that the tail section has a print flaw. Only the rudder was orange with a black rim and no other part of the vertical stabilizer, so I used the spare camo colors to hide this.

Then I glued the struts (internally reinforced with metal wire) and guy wires into place and the elevator hinges. I also detailed the small hinges at the elevator trim tabs. Pictures of actual D-XXI’s reveal that the guy wires between vertical and horizontal stabilizers were in fact double cables so hopefully the result in the model looks realistic. I used the same thin wire to make the rudder control cables. In hindsight maybe a bit too thick if I look at the pictures now but I couldn’t find a more suitable material. I have not painted the cables and guy wires yet. I’m still considering painting the wires in camo colors; have yet to study actual pictures a bit more (difficult as only black & white pictures exist). The control cables are definitely steel color.

In the pictures you can see some of the development of the tail section and how the model looks like up so far. Couldn't resist to add one more with the cockpit. The last picture reveals my humble working place. Nothing more fancy required in my “man cave” and it keeps Upper Management happy ….

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5921.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5923.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5924.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5925.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5926.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5928.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5929.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5930.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5932.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5933.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5934.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5936.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5940.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5941.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5942.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5944.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5946.jpg  
Old 02-13-2015, 01:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Nice work on the tail section.

The extra detail really helps

Tim
Google Adsense