PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-03-2015, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 36.39 MB
Ok I'll figure it out
Old 01-03-2015, 07:57 PM

Build Progress #1

Finished up the majority of the model. Just need to do the two air scoops, propellers, landing gear and drop tanks. Should have the scoops and landing gear done tonight with the drop tanks being finished tomorrow. Oh, and also I went a bit overboard with the super glue on the gear bays

Jarrod,
Spacemen1969

P.S. Don't worry Ryan, I'm going to post HD quality pictures of the finished product. I had to take these with my phone, for my camera is at my house and I'm at my dad's house right now.
Attached Thumbnails
P-51H beta build anyone?-img_2215.jpg   P-51H beta build anyone?-img_2216.jpg   P-51H beta build anyone?-img_2217.jpg   P-51H beta build anyone?-img_2218.jpg   P-51H beta build anyone?-img_2219.jpg  

Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 PM

First Issue

I had to modify the air scoop quite a bit to get it to fit properly under the body. I attached one side to see the fit and after modifications it fit well. Picture below as to modifications done.
Attached Thumbnails
P-51H beta build anyone?-img_2222.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Hmmm. So I'm not liking some stuff there. Looks like back to the mod shop for me.

Ryan
Old 01-03-2015, 09:43 PM

So things that are obviously wrong now that I see it going together...

Insignia proportions are wrong
My alignment on the squadron emblem is slightly off
Don't like that scoop attachment
Canopy HAS to be redesigned

Not sure what you did with the wings and tail but they are lacking some 3D shaping that I would build it with.
Google Adsense
Old 01-03-2015, 10:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
how many pages is it? i mite take a crack at it if you need me to?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:44 PM

Actually Ryan, the squadron emblem alignment issue is my fault. I checked the alignment of some of the other lines on that piece and I attached the piece slightly off, so don't fret over that. And I don't seem to see why you need to redesign the canopy. Is it not the correct shape or is the shape slightly off? It fits perfectly in the designated area on the fuselage. And for the wings and tail I tried my best to get the shape of the wings correct while still having it in the right spot, but the tail especially was tricky. The bottom portion that joins with the fuselage was relatively difficult to get right, and even harder to attach. But the wings, I just lined up the ends with the grey area on the fuselage. I had to flatten the edge of each wing a bit to get the fillets into position, and that flattening also had it so the wings don't look puffy or inflated. That might be why they don't look so rounded and "wing-like".

And thepaperguy, it's three pages. Also I should be ok from here on, all that's left to build is the drop tanks and wing pylons.
Attached Thumbnails
P-51H beta build anyone?-img_2223.jpg   P-51H beta build anyone?-img_2225.jpg   P-51H beta build anyone?-img_2226.jpg   P-51H beta build anyone?-img_2227.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 11:05 PM

The shape of the canopy is clearly off in my book - mainly the bottom of the sliding portion. I'll fix that later.
The insignia is really bothering me. I didn't check the dimensions on the national markings that came on the model and they're off.

WWII Army Air Force Markings

Ryan
Old 01-03-2015, 11:09 PM

I think I'm going to have to build one myself later this month before I can release it.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 AM

Oh I see with the canopy now. I looked up some pictures and yeah it's a bit off. Same with the insignia's, I can see now. Do you still want me to do the drop tanks or should I leave them off?