PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-09-2015, 03:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Farewell MD-11

As you know, the last passenger service of the McDonnell-Douglas MD-11 landed at Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam on November 11, 2014, ending an era of almost half a century of the great three engined DC-10 and MD-11 service.
So I thought it appropriate to build a MD-11 in KLM colours.

I used the big model of the DC-10 by CM Card Models (see Scaldis, Zeist Bouwplaten or Prins Bouwplaten for availability), had it copied and repainted it with Paint Shop Pro. Scale is 1:65, so it is a big model, but it will fit with the other vintage ailrliners I have (see threads of Super Constellation, DC-6B and more recently DC-7C).
The MD-11 mainly differs from the DC-10 by an extension of 4 windows aft of the wing, and 5 windows in front. Also the wing fairing is somewhat larger. The most difficult adaption was the bulging center engine, to house the larger engines. The build itself is not especially complicated, so I didn't set up a building thread on the forum. The process of repainting a card model was desctribed in the thread on this forum on the DC-7C, about 2 or three years ago.

Here are some pictures of the results. Pic 1 is the original DC-10 model, now 15 years old. Pic 2 shows the MD-11 as a result of the repaint and the adaptations, with pics 3 and 4 a side and a front view. Pics 5, 6 and 7 show some details of the engines, and especially the tail engine. The background is a poster of a nice cloudy sky.
Attached Thumbnails
Farewell MD-11-dc-10.jpg   Farewell MD-11-md-11.jpg   Farewell MD-11-md-11-side-view.jpg   Farewell MD-11-md-11-front.jpg   Farewell MD-11-tail-view.jpg  

Farewell MD-11-engines.jpg   Farewell MD-11-tail-engine.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-09-2015, 04:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Beautiful model. Nicely done.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 883.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
As you know, the last passenger service of the McDonnell-Douglas MD-11 landed at Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam on November 11, 2014, ending an era of almost half a century of the great three engined DC-10 and MD-11 service.
So I thought it appropriate to build a MD-11 in KLM colours.

I used the big model of the DC-10 by CM Card Models (see Scaldis, Zeist Bouwplaten or Prins Bouwplaten for availability), had it copied and repainted it with Paint Shop Pro. Scale is 1:65, so it is a big model, but it will fit with the other vintage ailrliners I have (see threads of Super Constellation, DC-6B and more recently DC-7C).
The MD-11 mainly differs from the DC-10 by an extension of 4 windows aft of the wing, and 5 windows in front. Also the wing fairing is somewhat larger. The most difficult adaption was the bulging center engine, to house the larger engines. The build itself is not especially complicated, so I didn't set up a building thread on the forum. The process of repainting a card model was desctribed in the thread on this forum on the DC-7C, about 2 or three years ago.

Here are some pictures of the results. Pic 1 is the original DC-10 model, now 15 years old. Pic 2 shows the MD-11 as a result of the repaint and the adaptations, with pics 3 and 4 a side and a front view. Pics 5, 6 and 7 show some details of the engines, and especially the tail engine. The background is a poster of a nice cloudy sky.
That model is one of the only md11 models! Will you share it please?? I would love to build it. I also have the DC10, I bought the modelsheets at Madurodam, in Den Haag. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2015, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
WOW, great models, very nice workmanship.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 04-09-2015, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great tribute model!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Nicely done! Huge model, for sure. My brother built the DC-10 as a kid and we tried to fly it from the bedroom window. Obviously it crashed....

Erik
Old 04-09-2015, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Erik, it's all in the center of gravity!
Croden, sorry, I didn't save the repainted parts, but if you have PSP or Gimp, and take the time to get working with layers in your fingers, then it's no big deal. I can probably give you some tips.
Thanks all for your appreciation of this fine aircraft. I'll try to get some more photo's together with the older Douglas prop airlieners
Old 04-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 883.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
Erik, it's all in the center of gravity!
Croden, sorry, I didn't save the repainted parts, but if you have PSP or Gimp, and take the time to get working with layers in your fingers, then it's no big deal. I can probably give you some tips.
Thanks all for your appreciation of this fine aircraft. I'll try to get some more photo's together with the older Douglas prop airlieners
Thats too bad :( Many people would've wanted an MD11.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
HOLD TIGHT FOLKS!
My group is thinking about designing an MD-11 and selling it on our website (which we're still getting up).

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 04-09-2015, 04:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by croden View Post
That model is one of the only md11 models! Will you share it please?? I would love to build it. I also have the DC10, I bought the modelsheets at Madurodam, in Den Haag. Thanks!
i only wish you could have shared it with us.i have the klm dc10 and have also the air new zealand dc10.I really liked this aircraft.Air new zealand had them for years.
Google Adsense