PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-13-2015, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
A little tutorial on repainting an existing model

Some of you may have seen how I used existing models to repaint them in other colours to fit my taste, see for example the threads on the Douglas DC-7C based on the Emsco DC-6B, and the MD-11 based on the Leon Schuyt DC-10 which I described on this forum some time ago.

Repainting is rewarding in the results and effects, but it is a time consuming job and requires a great deal of accuracy, mostly because I have to do it by hand, for I have no knowledge on 3D software programmes, as some of you have.

So I thought you may be interested in how I work this by hand, let me know, if there is interest in this subject.
To show you my simple technique, I am going to repaint the magnificent model of the Fokker F-27 Friendship by Paper Trade (see Scaldis for availability) but modify the long radar nose to the shape of the original F-27 Friendship prototype with the short nose of 1956 as modeled by the ancient Veritas model (copy through Scaldis) and repaint the whole model in the fake KLM colours that Fokker used in 1956.

What you need is a painting programme, such as Gimp (free) or any other that has the capability to use layers. That is absolutely essential. I have Paint Shop Pro (around 80 euro). First, I start with:

STEP 1

I copied the parts that I will need, at this stage the nose of the modern F-27 and the nose of the old one, see pic 1 for the prototype, and pic 2 for the modern one. I then outlined the various parts and copied them in order to rearrange them in a vertical sense, such that the centerline of the top of the fuselage is in a straight line, see pic 3.
Tomorrow I'll have step 2 ready. I hope that this is usefull.
Attached Thumbnails
A little tutorial on repainting an existing model-original-prototype.jpg   A little tutorial on repainting an existing model-original-modern.jpg   A little tutorial on repainting an existing model-neus-em-nidden-bies-1-0-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2015, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool

Nice to see your method.

Please keep it in simple short steps as it would be easy to follow.

Thank you for sharing

Isaac
Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
I hope that this is usefull.
Thanks. I hope you continue to build this thread.

Gene K
Old 09-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 789.36 MB
Very interestingly!