Old 03-03-2017, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 146.31 MB
nice work i love hearing a noisy dc9 on take off
Old 03-03-2017, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Erik

How did I miss this thread?

Great work

I remember flying on many of the Eastern jets including the DC-9 Mad Dogs.

Isaac
Old 03-03-2017, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Erik is doing a wonderful job on this bird. Just don't know how he can work on such a clean workbench. I have to dig down through several layers just to find my workbench. Just a fair warning, Sumato's kits are such a joy to build, it's hard to stop with just one. I'm looking forward to Erik's finished model.
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-dc-9-group-shot.jpg  
Old 03-04-2017, 12:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
great collection, beautiful models.

YOAV
Old 03-04-2017, 12:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
Erik is doing a wonderful job on this bird. Just don't know how he can work on such a clean workbench. I have to dig down through several layers just to find my workbench. Just a fair warning, Sumato's kits are such a joy to build, it's hard to stop with just one. I'm looking forward to Erik's finished model.
full agreement there.i have his finnair dc9 and b767s from air new zealand and el al.brilliant models and a pleasure to build
Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Wings - Part 2

Gents, thanks again for your feedback and compliments. I fully agree regarding Sumato's designs, up so far this DC-9 is a joy to build and I have also purchased the B767-300 in the mean time, with Martinair livery. I would love to build a DC-9 or DC-8 in the late 1960's/early 1970's KLM livery but understood this is not possible as KLM seems to be fussy about it??

A clean desk keeps my mind at peace, the most important mental condition to stay focused and not become impatient. The line between paper modeling and insanity is thin .

Back to build, it was a productive weekend .

Continued with the wings. Dry-fitted both wings and they connect to the fuselage very accurately. Decided after all to install parts aWB1 and WB2 to reinforce the wing box. As these parts are not intended to be placed inside the box I had to trim them on all edges and then could glue them into place. Finally glued the wings into position.

A note on the leading edges. In my opinion it is virtually impossible to round the leading edge of the DC-9 wing into the rather sharp shape it requires without messing things up (see Milenio3’s thread of early last year).

Instead, I scored each wing very lightly, the tiny markers indicated at the wing do suggest this way of working. Then bend each edge very gently, just enough to get a fold but to prevent the obvious knick. I applied a bit of white glue along each edge and ran it along with a wet index finger. This sort of protects the fold line. After a few seconds of drying I gently rolled a few times an approximately 4mm diameter wooden dowel along the edge, just to flatten out the fold line a bit. This results in a more rounded shape and exactly what is required.

The difficult parts are the wing fairings, the transition between wing and fuselage. First, install the four formers, very small parts which need to be cut and placed very accurately. My first thoughts were to connect the four parts that make up each fairing, combine them to form a collar and then slide it over the wingtip into position. Eventually I decided to follow the instructions and to install the parts one by one, as it is easier. I started with the biggest part, at the bottom. This can be easily aligned by using the landing gear door outline as reference. Then install the front part, followed by the last part and finally the very narrow strip on the top side. It simply fits perfectly. There was only one small gap, which could be filled easily with light grey construction kit that acts as putty and is perfect for its purpose. Excess of kit can simply be removed by the same wet finger. For any modeler fingers are the most important tool, no need to tell you that!
Well, that’s it for now. The other one still has to be done and then finally the remaining small parts (flap supports).

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4494.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4497.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4499.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4500.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4501.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4502.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4503.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4504.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4505.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4506.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4507.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4508.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4509.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4510.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4516.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4517.jpg  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
great work Erik

YOAV
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Nice work!! Absolutely perfect fit, wings to fuse.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Wings - Part 3

Thank you Yoav and Richschindler. This model is a true joy to build.

Just a short update. Finished the port wing fairing. No issues except for a very narrow gap between the bottom and front sections of the fairing, which I filled with construction kit, similar to the starboard one. A builder's secret, as probably you wouldn't notice .

Pictures were taken late at night so the colors are a bit off.

Next time the final wing details and then on to the engines.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4519.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4524.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4521.jpg  
Old 03-08-2017, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i found fitting the engine fairings to fuselage closely was hardest part of build
Google Adsense

Tags
1:72, dc-9-31, skyline papermodels