PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-11-2017, 03:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 711.70 MB
I flew twice in a MD83 10 years ago, I don't know if it was the same engines but this was pretty loud.
Almost done ! and still clean and beautiful .
Actually you choose better colors than I did when I built it, I dont see the joiner between he parts.
Looking this thread gave me the envy to build an another model from this author .
Best regards,
Ronan
Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Engines - Part 2, right one finished!

Richschindler and Ronan, thanks for your reactions. Yep, those good old BAC-111's were very noisy, and it's good that nowadays those screaming jets are no longer in service. It would have been quite noisy around the place where I live, as it is close to Schiphol airport and quite frequently aircraft turning to finals go right over our home and some seem to pass by so low, you can almost touch them. Powerless glide, luckily.

Ronan: Go for it! Build another one, I would be following your build right away.

Well, it has been a productive weekend. I finished the right engine, and placing the pylon and then the entire assembly to the fuselage came along without much problem. There's a narrow gap at the rear bottom end of the pylon which I still need to correct but that's not much of an issue.

Just a few notes on the engine: The fan discs are a bit too wide and need trimming, as well as the inlet and outlet ducts. Apart from those minor corrections, all parts simply fit extremely well.

The pylon has one optional former according to the instructions, being the one at the fuselage side. Don't ponder too much about this part being an option, just use it.

I carefully shaped the pylon but didn't glue the rear sides together yet. Instead, I glued it bit by bit to the engine nacelle, carefully following the outline. I did not fixate the ends at the inner bypass duct yet. Then I created a separate former and glued it via the open side of the pylon at the engine nacelle to reinforce the pylon structure.
Then I closed the open side of the pylon with the "optional" former. Be careful though as the rear end of the former should be left free, for some reason the former does not entirely follow the shape of the pylon at the fuselage side. Finally I glued the upper and lower rear ends of the pylon together.

I worked as patient and accurate as possible and warned by Herky's and Knife's comment regarding the difficult fit to the fuselage I must say I was pleasantly surprised that everything came together so well, apart from the small gap as mentioned above.

Took my time to let the glue thoroughly dry and I used a paper bin for the aircraft to rest on its side during the process.

The engine is quite labor intensive, each one consists of about 30 parts, almost as many as the entire fuselage .

That's it for now, on to the left one.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4531.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4534.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4535.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4536.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4537.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4538.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4539.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4540.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4542.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4543.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4544.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4546.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4547.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4549.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4550.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4551.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Richschindler and Ronan, thanks for your reactions. Yep, those good old BAC-111's were very noisy, and it's good that nowadays those screaming jets are no longer in service. It would have been quite noisy around the place where I live, as it is close to Schiphol airport and quite frequently aircraft turning to finals go right over our home and some seem to pass by so low, you can almost touch them. Powerless glide, luckily.

Ronan: Go for it! Build another one, I would be following your build right away.

Well, it has been a productive weekend. I finished the right engine, and placing the pylon and then the entire assembly to the fuselage came along without much problem. There's a narrow gap at the rear bottom end of the pylon which I still need to correct but that's not much of an issue.

Just a few notes on the engine: The fan discs are a bit too wide and need trimming, as well as the inlet and outlet ducts. Apart from those minor corrections, all parts simply fit extremely well.

The pylon has one optional former according to the instructions, being the one at the fuselage side. Don't ponder too much about this part being an option, just use it.

I carefully shaped the pylon but didn't glue the rear sides together yet. Instead, I glued it bit by bit to the engine nacelle, carefully following the outline. I did not fixate the ends at the inner bypass duct yet. Then I created a separate former and glued it via the open side of the pylon at the engine nacelle to reinforce the pylon structure.
Then I closed the open side of the pylon with the "optional" former. Be careful though as the rear end of the former should be left free, for some reason the former does not entirely follow the shape of the pylon at the fuselage side. Finally I glued the upper and lower rear ends of the pylon together.

I worked as patient and accurate as possible and warned by Herky's and Knife's comment regarding the difficult fit to the fuselage I must say I was pleasantly surprised that everything came together so well, apart from the small gap as mentioned above.

Took my time to let the glue thoroughly dry and I used a paper bin for the aircraft to rest on its side during the process.

The engine is quite labor intensive, each one consists of about 30 parts, almost as many as the entire fuselage .

That's it for now, on to the left one.

Cheers,
Erik
looking good. i just rechecked my finnair one.left engine to pylon to fuselage is spot on.right engine to pylon is spot on but pylon to fuselage has a big gap.guess it was just me not being carefull enoughi am hoping that at some stage skyline extend their range of airliners rather than more liveries.their models are excellent but i dont need anymore dc9s or 767s.
a 757 or 787 would be good.i know there are models of these from other producers but not up to skylines standards imho
Old 03-12-2017, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 490.82 MB
Very nice.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Wow, Erik! So neat and seamless. Super, super job.

Cheers,
Dan
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Without a doubt, it's coming along great. Ah, a single engine DC-9, now that would be interesting.
I must apologize for making all that noise as I flew over your house. Yes back in the day I flew the BAC 1-11 and a old, noisy, Grumman G-2 into that airport.
Sorry!! LOL
Old 03-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
This looks really nice.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Engines Part 3 - Left one also finished

PM's, thank you once more .

Herky/Alan, you may find this post interesting as I took pictures of the process of attaching the pylon to the nacelle. Do not need to write much this time, as the preparation of the left engine followed the same recipe. Must say that I paid more attention to carefully mating the rear sides of the pylon and the fit to the fuselage is therefore better, but also the area where the rear side of the left pylon connects to the fuselage a small correction is required. No big deal and will show you next time. Haven't done it yet.

Ready for engine ground check!

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4566.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4567.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4568.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4569.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4570.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4571.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4572.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4573.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4574.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4575.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4576.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4577.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4578.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4579.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4580.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4581.jpg  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Very nice work indeed, Erik. A nice tight fit too!

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 03-16-2017, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Talking

Alright! You are half way done! Just the landing gear to go.
Google Adsense

Tags
1:72, dc-9-31, skyline papermodels