PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-20-2021, 08:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
No.
Perhaps suprising but the "no" is not a typo.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
I found the illustration in context, with text,
Airmanship 2 Leading Cadet Training Rules of the

Quote:
An airship in flight, has WHITE lights fore & aft, GREEN on top & and RED below. A stationary airship, has WHITE lights fore & aft, with two RED lights below.
However ... recent documentation from Germany supplied to the US's FAA is more in line with fixed wing aircraft, https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cer...pTARIssue1.pdf

Quote:
Transport Airship Requirements March 2000
Foreword
1 The Civil Aviation Authorities Luftfahrt-Bundesamt of Germany and Rijksluchtvaartdienst of The Netherlands have agreed common comprehensive airworthiness requirements for large airships to accomodate Type Certification applications for such aircraft in their countries. The new category Transport Airships is defined in Appendix C.
2 Existing airworthiness codes FAR P8110-2 of the Federal Aviation Administration of the United States of America and JAR-25 of the Joint Aviation Authorities of Europe have been selected to form the basis of these Transport Airship Requirements (TAR).

Quote:
TAR 1385 Position light system installation
General: each part of each position light system must meet the applicable requirements of this TAR and each system as a whole must meet the requirements of TAR 1387 through TAR 1397. Position lights must be distributed in such a way that no aircraft crossing the airships flight path might endeavour to fly between bow and stern position lights.

(a) Bow position light: the bow position light must be a white light mounted as far forward as possible on the envelope and must be approved.

(b) Forward position lights: forward position lights must consist of a red and green light spaced laterally as far apart as practicable and installed on the widest forward part of the airship so that, with the airship in the normal flying position, the red light is on the left side and the green light in on the right side. Each light must be approved.

(c) Rearward position lights: rearward position lights must consist of a red and green light spaced laterally as far apart as practicable and installed on the widest rearward part of the airship so that, with the airship in the normal flying position, the red light is on the left side and the green light in on the right side. Each light must be approved.

(d) Stern position light: the stern position light must be a white light mounted as far aft a practicable on the tail and must be approved.

(e) Circuit: the bow position light, the two forward and rearward position lights and the stern position light must make a single circuit.

(f) Light covers and colour filters: each light cover or colour filter must be at least flame resistant and may not change colour or shape or lose any appreciable light transmission during normal use.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:44 PM

This 1943 US Navy K-Type airship pilot's manual by Goodyear mentions in the lighting section that there are running lights on the car (gondola) and the envelope & and then says to see other named documentation for details,
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...lot_manual.pdf
Quote:
PREFACE The information herein is designed to embody only such material as may be of value to the pilot and the crew of the K-airship during flight operations. Further descriptive matter vital to the ship and its care is set forth in the Specification and Maintenance Manuals. While this manual is not intended to serve as an infallible guide for all flight operations, some of the more advanced points of aerostatics are included for ready reference.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
The Cadet Training Rules, showing the red and green lights above and below an airship, make sense. That way a pilot of a motorized aircraft, with lights in the horizontal sense, knows he is approaching an airship and not another motorized aircraft and now can apply the appropriate rule, which is GIVE RIGHT OF WAY. If the airship would have horizontal positioned lights, the pilot of the powered airplane will continue flight as per right of way rule and cause an accident.
Thereforte I do not understand the logic of TAR. I believe it has never been formally adopted.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:21 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
That way a pilot of a motorized aircraft, with lights in the horizontal sense, knows he is approaching an airship and not another motorized aircraft and now can apply the appropriate rule, which is GIVE RIGHT OF WAY. ...
That does make sense.

Quote:
Thereforte I do not understand the logic of TAR. I believe it has never been formally adopted.
Ah, okay; my research ended at finding that info, I didn't seek info on implementation: mostly because the thought to do so did not happen!

At this point I'm not drawing any further conclusions since I knew none, zero, of this until just a little bit ago & what you see here is the sum total of my knowledge on the subject!

--> The idea of taking this kit which arrived in mail yesterday from Julie there on the other shore of the Atlantic in Surrey, England, & adding LED lighting to it is growing on me; after all, adding lights to my model trains is a big thing for me

Google Adsense
Old 06-20-2021, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
All for Lights, Fog, Action.
Enjoy,
Miles
Love new knowelege
Old 06-20-2021, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Found hundreds of pictures of the airship, many of them will help you
Graf Zeppelin Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images
Old 06-20-2021, 06:36 PM

Whoa, you did find some good stuff; 14 pages of images!

And they are welcome and useful even if they don't have any closeups showing the threads on the nav light bulbs!
Old 06-20-2021, 07:11 PM

What's that little round thing on front corner of pod? It can be imagined as a light fixture without applying much effort ...
A cameraman taking photographs from one of the small pods or gondolas... News Photo - Getty Images
Old 06-20-2021, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Looking through the photos, it's easy to see how these would have captured and fueled the imagination back in the 20's and 30's...