PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-08-2017, 04:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The build begins

Thank you all for your kind encouragement ! With so many parts this indeed almost becomes a science project. Thanks Isaac for offering to take pictures at the museum. I checked out their website and the displays are very impressive. If I need anything I can’t find on the internet I may accept your kind offer.

Sorry Ricardo, the toss didn’t result into the Dauntless, sometimes plans change… but the SBD-3 is certainly high on my wish list. Such wonderful cockpit details and my favorite childhood WW2 Pacific theatre plane.

Ok, after finishing a stroopwafel (thanks Dan) the build starts with the central fuselage section (part 1) that will hold the wing spars later on. So the internal structure has been well reinforced by the designers and the slots for the spars are clearly visible in the pictures.

I’m using the laser cut set but also laminate the laser cuts with the original (thin) paper parts. The laser cuts come in thicknesses of 1.0 and 0.5mm. The building instructions say that parts indicated with a * need to be pasted on 0.5mm thick board and parts with ** on 1.0mm, so for this reason I glued the original paper parts (0.1mm thickness) on the laser cuts. If it’s really required or not, I don’t know, somehow it seems neater to do so and all internal structure parts came together very well. So far so good.

The internal skin has to be wrapped around the formers very tightly and then both ends mate just fine. As it is “one time right gluing” I glued the skin bit by bit to the former edges, thereby continuously checking its alignment at the seam.

In fact the central section is only fully finished once the outside skin is in place as well, but this part needs to be wrapped around the internal skin even tighter and at this point I haven’t dared yet to do so. Don’t want my first Halinski to become my last Halinski already, ha, ha.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6673.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6674.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6675.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6676.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6677.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6678.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6679.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 04:07 AM

The build begins

Thank you all for your kind encouragement ! With so many parts this indeed almost becomes a science project. Thanks Isaac for offering to take pictures at the museum. I checked out their website and the displays are very impressive. If I need anything I can’t find on the internet I may accept your kind offer.

Sorry Ricardo, the toss didn’t result into the Dauntless, sometimes plans change… but the SBD-3 is certainly high on my wish list. Such wonderful cockpit details and my favorite childhood WW2 Pacific theatre plane.
Ok, after finishing a stroopwafel (thanks Dan) the build starts with the central fuselage section (part 1) that will hold the wing spars later on. So the internal structure has been well reinforced by the designers and the slots for the spars are clearly visible in the pictures.

I’m using the laser cut set but also laminate the laser cuts with the original (thin) paper parts. The laser cuts come in thicknesses of 1.0 and 0.5mm. The building instructions say that parts indicated with a * need to be pasted on 0.5mm thick board and parts with ** on 1.0mm, so for this reason I glued the original paper parts (0.1mm thickness) on the laser cuts. If it’s really required or not, I don’t know, somehow it seems neater to do so and all internal structure parts came together very well. So far so good.

The internal skin has to be wrapped around the formers very tightly and then both ends mate just fine. As it is “one time right gluing” I glued the skin bit by bit to the former edges, thereby continuously checking its alignment at the seam.

In fact the central section is only fully finished once the outside skin is in place as well, but this part needs to be wrapped around the internal skin even tighter and at this point I haven’t dared yet to do so. Don’t want my first Halinski to become my last Halinski already, ha, ha.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 12-11-2017, 06:07 AM

Cockpit floor and walls

The basic cockpit area comprises of part 2 and all its subparts, including numerous formers. The fit is excellent but all parts have to be very carefully glued onto the designated areas for proper alignment.

The number of formers for the floor elevation of the pilot’s seat is overdone in my opinion, whereas the side console (part 2f) is a bit flimsy because of lack of reinforcement. I used a few strips of 1.0mm laser cut scrap to stabilize this part.

The last part is the inside cockpit lining and I was somewhat surprised how easily and accurately this part wrapped itself around the cockpit floor and ribs.

For edge coloring I have been using a simple grey marker and Tamiya neutral grey. The latter dries up a bit bluish and I may later on simply repaint it with the darker German grey.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6689.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6690.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6694.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6697.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6698.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6699.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6700.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6701.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6702.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6703.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6704.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6705.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6706.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Great photos of clean modeling!!
Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Excellent work. Looking forward to the progress....
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2017, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Up to now, I recognize virtually all the parts from “my” Ju-88C-6. Only the colors change a bit. The pens seem to work well on the peculiar laser cut surface. I never used a laser cut set in a Halinski and was a bit wary about this point.
From my experience, if you shape the parts very carefully, they fit well but very, very tightly. Sometimes, it is tricky. I remember some problems on the C-6 to close the rear landing gear compartment and the wing skin. You’ll get there
Old 12-11-2017, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Great start. Very nice work (as always), Erik. A very complex and detailed model. I look forward to seeing this bird come together.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 12-11-2017, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
great start Erik.
your work with the cockpit is very impressive and very clean.

YOAV
Old 12-15-2017, 07:34 AM

Cockpit-continued

Thanks again guys for tuning in. Here's some progress to report.

The aft bulkhead is fitted with radio/navigation equipment and ammo boxes for the machine guns. The folding and edge gluing of small parts, filled the greater part of a rainy Sunday afternoon.

The boxes are in fact glued on a separate plate (part no. 3) which I reinforced with 1mm thick cardboard on the rear side. Also on the bulkhead itself I glued a similar piece of board, which helped in accurately positioning the plate. Although the ammo boxes are part no. 11/subs, I decided to place them already, as well as box no. 31, which is on the same panel.

Although the pictures do not show the fully dressed up bulkhead yet, the result is quite amazing, so much fine details on just a few square centimeters.

At this point I dry fitted the cockpit to the center fuselage section and all went together very well. No issues expected here.

One picture included of attaching the skin to the cockpit section, which I forgot last time. The best is to properly dryfit and align the part, then apply glue to the bottom first and subsequently glue it bit by bit upwards to the rest of the formers and ribs, thereby continuously checking for correct alignment.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6707.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6708.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6710.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6712.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6713.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6714.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6715.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6703.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6717.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Ju 88D-1-img_6718.jpg  

Old 12-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice progress, Erik

The cockpit access is from below, as in the C-6 variant? I remember a “cut after assembling” panel for the access, in the outer skin. It is a task that I always try to dodge, as the cut never comes out as good as while the part is still in “2D”.
Google Adsense

Tags
halinski, ju 88d-1