Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Great work on this historic DVII!

Don
Many thanks! Don!
Old 05-26-2022, 08:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

This week I had little time to work with model making, I teach a night course for trade unionists, so between preparing for classes and teaching them I have had a busy night. But today I managed to practically finish the model. I inserted all the control and landing/sustaining cables (the DVII has few), then I glued the wheels and propellers, plus a set of touches with paint and gave the model as finished.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:58 PM

Smile Finished!

The Fokker DVII designed in 1916 by Reinhold Platz was perhaps the state of the art in terms of military fighter aircraft during World War I, influencing the world aeronautical industry until the 1930s. Its resistant structure, high maneuverability and great power were a blow to the western allies again who were a step behind in terms of technology. Great aces like Lothar Von Richthofen and Ernst Udet quickly achieved significant victory scores with the DVII, which despite having over 3000 units built entered service in 1918 in the Imperial German Army Air Service. The performance of this aircraft was so outstanding that at the end of the war all DVII were confiscated by the allies according to a clause in the Treaty of Versailles which stipulated the specific delivery of these aircraft. Many were used after the war by a large number of countries, as the Fokker evaded to Holland continued to produce the DVII post-war and also the two-seat C1 variant. This version is repainted by me, depicting a Fokker DVII (possibly supplied by Soviet Russia) to the Army of the Ukrainian People's Republic in 1920, an ephemeral state that existed between the fall of the Russian Empire and the implementation of the Soviet Union.

The model was finished with a layer of Acrilex Spray varnish.

The repaint is based on the standard Fokker DVII model number #420 in the catalogue, with some parts of the improved model developed by Gerry1966, such as the cockpit, propeller and some engine components, which have been volumetrized. My modification besides the repaint in the Ukrainian colors was to add an arm post on the lower tail and the actuators of all the moving surfaces, as done in the DVII I built earlier.

Time to next, maybe a Midway subject
Old 05-27-2022, 05:02 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Splendid work Pericles!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-27-2022, 05:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Very nice, cool airframe.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:44 AM

Smile

Thanks my friends! I intent make a series of post war DVII, is the first
Old 05-27-2022, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Top job again Péricles. Keep 'em coming mate!
Old 05-27-2022, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Nice model Pericles. I tried finding any info on just who was flying Ukrainian planes back then and how many planes were flown. Polish sources I read about that period never once mention Ukrainian planes of any kind. Soviet only.
Bit up north from Ukraine there were some planes flown in Lithuania and Estonia but those planes were flown by German pilots either paid mercenaries or volunteers but it's like 4th or 5th hand info and zero credible source so I don't trust it.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great work on this model. Many thanks for the historic background information!

Don
Old 05-28-2022, 11:21 AM

Thanks my friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
Nice model Pericles. I tried finding any info on just who was flying Ukrainian planes back then and how many planes were flown. Polish sources I read about that period never once mention Ukrainian planes of any kind. Soviet only.
Bit up north from Ukraine there were some planes flown in Lithuania and Estonia but those planes were flown by German pilots either paid mercenaries or volunteers but it's like 4th or 5th hand info and zero credible source so I don't trust it.
Really the information is scarce Karol. But basically the fall of the Russian empire with the Revolution of 1917 left several areas bordering the German and Austro-Hungarian Empire with a power vacuum that was occupied by ephemeral national states. Although I'm not an expert, as I remember Ukraine was divided into two or three until 1922, one further to the west with German support, even equipped with a modern air force supplied by Germany equipped with even a few G planes. The other pro-Russian originally equipped with leftover Czarist aircraft and some captured things and finally there was still a more ephemeral Cossack state. My main reference source was Insignia Magazine which deals exclusively with the Ukrainian "air forces" in this period. Of course, with the defeat of the Germans this territorial situation quickly deteriorated. Even some Ukrainian armies helped the Russians in the Russo-Polish War of 1920.