Brent
Old 05-29-2022, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Thanks my friend!
Old 06-04-2022, 11:19 AM

Smile Return to Midway Project

Well friends back with another model being built within the trimester schedule. As I said, I would return to a subject about Midway, this time again a non-container of the front line. Bruno's A5M is hard to see built, but among the many versions he designed we have just one example indirectly involved in this battle.

It is not a complicated construction, perhaps the elliptical wings that may require some care in its construction. I will soon know.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
This will go nicely together with earlier version of B5N Garry made. Wing spar is a necessity with it since like many Japanese planes A5M Claude had very high dihedral wing angle. That would be very hard to copy without spar.

From what I read in my books A5M was only used operationally on IJN carrier Ryūjō after Dec 7 1941 and they were replaced with A6M within a couple of months. Was there any other carrier that used them?
Old 06-04-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
This will go nicely together with earlier version of B5N Garry made. Wing spar is a necessity with it since like many Japanese planes A5M Claude had very high dihedral wing angle. That would be very hard to copy without spar.

From what I read in my books A5M was only used operationally on IJN carrier Ryūjō after Dec 7 1941 and they were replaced with A6M within a couple of months. Was there any other carrier that used them?
Karol in the Zuiho too look about say Wikipedia (at not the home for consuting my library)

In February 1942, the ship ferried Mitsubishi A6M "Zero" fighters to Davao City, Philippines for the 11th Air Fleet. Transferred to the First Fleet after the Third Carrier Division was disbanded on 1 April, Zuihō remained in Japanese waters until June when she participated in the Battle of Midway.[6] She was assigned to the Main Body of the invasion force and her aircraft complement consisted of six Mitsubishi A5M "Claude" and six A6M2 "Zero" fighters, and twelve Nakajima B5N2 "Kate" torpedo bombers. After the initial American airstrikes that sank three Japanese carriers, the Main Body was ordered to rendezvous with the Kido Butai at high speed, but this order was cancelled later that evening. Late on 5 June, the fighters of her combat air patrol drove off an American Consolidated PBY Catalina reconnaissance aircraft of VP-44 that had spotted the Main Body. Zuihō was ordered the following afternoon to prepare to launch an airstrike, together with aircraft from the seaplane tender Nisshin, on the carriers that the Japanese imagined were pursuing them, but this was cancelled on the morning of 7 June when it became clear that there was no pursuit.[7] After a brief refit in July–August in Sasebo, the ship was assigned to the First Carrier Division with the carriers Shōkaku and Zuikaku on 12 August.[6]

Old 06-04-2022, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks like a fine job so far, and some interesting history!

Don
Old 06-04-2022, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Good to see this one Péricles. The A5M along with the Ki.27 are among my firm pre-WWII Japanese favourites.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:24 AM

Thanks my friends!

In fact A5M is a beautiful plane and one of my favorite 1930's too Rata.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:58 AM

Smile

Here my Mitsubishi A5M4 Model 24, another model for my Midway collection that in these first days of July turns 80 years old. The Mitsubishi A5M "Claude" known to the Japanese as the Type 96 Carrier-Based Fighter (九六式艦上戦闘機), was in fact the first modern Imperial Japanese Navy aircraft, being an elliptical low-wing monoplane with positive dihedral, variable pitch propeller, combat flaps and all-metal casing. The "Claude" (following Allied coding in World War II) was introduced in 1937, replacing the A4N biplane in Kokutais (land-based Naval Aviation Group) and in the main squadrons aboard the Japanese carrier force. Used in the Second Sino-Japanese War with remarkable success, it was at the outbreak of the Pacific War the most important aircraft of the Imperial Navy in numbers but in 1940 it was supplemented by the famous A6M "Zero". More infos about Midway action of A5M in thread with same name.

The model number 863 in the catalog was made practically "straight from the sheet", with my usual modifications, volumetricization of the engine block, internal lintel of the wings and the fairing of the machine guns. The model is easy to build, taking care with the construction of the elliptical wing.

I think that, who knows, Rata could carefully study conversions to previous versions as well as two-seaters.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work on this Zuiho-based Kansen, Péricles!

And thanks for the historical background.

I love to see any model you build, but Japanese (and interwar U.S.) airplanes are my all-time favorites.

This one is a little gem!

Don