PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-13-2023, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
I'm paying close attention to your updates on FB but since I'm here ...

I like Hendon. I've seen so drawings here and there but seeing model is a different animal. It was constructed much simpler than I thought. Front of fuselage is interesting-it's almost like Martin did copy/paste entire front to his B-10 a bit later,so did few other designers to lesser extend.

Also Bruno oversimplified a bit mid and tail gunner positions. It's relevant in original scale but in 1:72 those can be nice ly improved by adding top trap doors (for lack of better term) and guns. Those were closed when in flight but they go opened when "at the ready" to allow gunners to operate guns. I've never seen such an installation. I'm sure it worked just fine considering speed of that bomber.

Contrail 1/72 Fairey Hendon, by Tom Draper

I have a feeling guns on that model are like 75% too large ,of a wrong scale .Still,pretty nice guide to go by imho.
Thank you my friend!

Actually seeing the plane in 3D is something else. What I can say about the model itself is that it needs some minor tweaks right at the front, but I'll send that to Bruno today. What I can say for those who are going to build this model in the future is that it is a very pleasant construction and without any difficulty.

Yes, the general similarity with the B-10 is very interesting, but it is only in the layout and the turret, as the Hendon has an older structural conception, tied to the conservatism of the RAF high command at that time.

I have Contrail's vacuoforming mentioned in the excellent article that indicated. Luckily for us Bruno used a more recent blueprint of the plane so he didn't reproduce the mistakes of the Contrail model that mixes the prototypes with the production plane (which was common in the early days of plastimodeling), anyway this article is very useful . I'm going to leak the parts and reproduce the capes and machine guns (these are the extras I mentioned earlier).

Anyway, I hope to finish the model today no later than tomorrow night.

And happy birthday Carol! Much happiness and health!
Old 06-14-2023, 08:07 AM

Smile

Friends.

I think it would be interesting to present the plane since many people are waiting for this model and it causes a certain admiration for being an obscure and unknown type.

In fact the Hendon is a kind of "missing link" in the evolution of strategic bomber design, it is a pioneer and very similar to the B-10, Dornier 23, Mitsubishi Ki-1 which more or less has the same characteristics.

The Hendon is the first British heavy bomber monoplane, succeeding a series of British biplane and twin-engine heavy bombers that trace their origins to the Handley Page O/400 and V1500 and the Vickers Vimy, designed during World War I. The RAF has always been conservative, and in fact put into service the Hendon in 1936 and also the last British biplane heavy bomber, the Handley Page Heyford (which had an unusual layout arrangement with the fuselage on the top wing.

The Hendon was built to meet the Air Ministry Specification B.19/27 for a twin-engine night bomber to replace the Vickers Virginia, competing against the Handley Page Heyford and Vickers Type 150. The specification required a range of 920 mi (1,480 km) at a speed of 115 mph (185 km/h), with a bomb load of 1,500 lb (680 kg). To meet this requirement, Fairey designed a low-winged cantilever monoplane with a fixed tailwheel undercarriage. The fuselage had a steel tube structure with fabric covering with a pilot, a radio operator/navigator and three gunners, in open nose, dorsal and tail positions. Bombs were carried in a bomb bay in the fuselage centre. Variants powered by either radial engines or liquid-cooled V12 engines were proposed.

The prototype K1695 with two Rolls-Royce Kestrel 600 HP engines.
The prototype K1695 (which was known as the Fairey Night Bomber until 1934) first flew on 25 November 1930, from Fairey's Great West Aerodrome in Heathrow and was powered by two 460 hp (340 kW) Bristol Jupiter VIII radial engines. The prototype crashed and was severely damaged in March 1931 and was rebuilt with two Rolls-Royce Kestrel VI engines. After trials, 14 production examples named the Hendon Mk.II were ordered.

These were built by Fairey's Stockport factory in late 1936 and early 1937 and flown from Barton Aerodrome, Manchester. Orders for a further sixty Hendons were cancelled in 1936, as the prototype of the first of the next generation of British heavy bombers—the Armstrong Whitworth Whitley—had flown and showed much higher performance. The Hendon Mk.II was powered by two Rolls-Royce Kestrel VI engines. The production Hendon Mk.II included an enclosed cockpit for the pilot and navigator.

The type was delayed by the crash and a rebuild of the prototype and the Heyford received the majority of the orders to replace RAF heavy bombers, the Hendon coming into service three years later. The only Hendon-equipped unit, 38 Squadron, began operational service at RAF Mildenhall in November 1936, replacing Heyfords, later moving to RAF Marham, Norfolk. Later, the Hendons went to 115 Squadron, which was formed from 38 Squadron. The type was soon obsolete and replaced from late 1938 by the Vickers Wellington. By January 1939, the Hendons had been retired and were then used for ground instruction work, including the radio school at RAF Cranwell. (Wikipedia)

Old 06-14-2023, 08:30 AM

Smile

Last night due to professional commitments I could not participate in the CCCP so this week Hawker Horsley has no updates, and as I got home very late I started painting all the marks and white corners on the model, a task that I hope to finish tonight , also performing the beginning of the customization of the model.

I've already sent all my notes to Bruno and as far as the construction test itself is concerned, it was successfully completed, now it remains to finalize the model.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks very good. I see that you found a paint that exactly matches the color of the airplane.

The Hendon certainly had a well-braced tail structure.

Don
Old 06-14-2023, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.45 MB
Very nice!

Brent
Old 06-14-2023, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.69 GB
awesome cant wait to see more of this build well done
Old 06-14-2023, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Clearly a product of it's day but an innovative design none the less. Thanks Pér!
Old 06-14-2023, 06:20 PM

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed and appreciated your historical narrative, assessment of the aircraft, and the many contemporary images of Hendons.

For me, paper modeling is another way of studying history.

Don
Old 06-15-2023, 09:34 AM

Thanks my friends!

Until today I have a lot of professional commitments, but now I hope to finish the model over the weekend and return to previous projects.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:48 AM

May I add this spurce of information on the Hendon? It includes many images and documentation. Forgive me if you already mentioned it, but I didn't find it in a review of the thread.

The Fairey Hendon and the stage 6 "Superhendon"

Don