PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-07-2023, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's shaping up to be a super Nieuport Delage.

Don
Old 08-08-2023, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Thanks so much Don!

Last night we built a good part of the plane, today as the famous CCCP meeting will not take place because one of our confreres is with his sick mother in the hospital (95 years old) I will work on the general painting of the model, before going to the jig.

An interesting tip about building biplanes is that Bruno marks all the struts with small orientation circles that indicate the direction of the piece and its positioning in this case the front part and the top part of it on the landing gear of the Delage. A tip I can give about the construction of this biplane is that the alignment starts with the landing gear, since the wing struts and the aerodynamic fairing of the fuselage axis are joined together. Although the struts are glued in two halves, the correct attachment serves as a powerful guide between the bottom and top wings when gluing the second segment.

The first part of the jig is ready too. Now I'm going to make a rest support for the fuselage because, as I said, the gluing is done by the central section of the wing with the model upside down. This will be a permanent specialized jig as I have a lot of NiD yet to build.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:07 AM

Smile

Well friends, we started walking towards the conclusion of this project. On Tuesday and Wednesday night, the model had its white corners painted with PVA paint. One note on this is that I use wood craft paints (acrylics or PVA) for painting, as well as markers and watercolor paint. I hardly ever use model paint due to its high value (at least in Brazil).

The Jig is a fun part of the construction, it basically serves to keep everything aligned, in general it is an individual specialized tool for each type of plane, and in some rare cases it ends up not being necessary (the ones that I remember the Fokker DVII (by having the struts at 90º in relation to the planes of each wing and the Breguet XIX by having struts integrated into the windshield in the fuselage), the rest always needs some kind of alignment guide. The Nieuport Strut has shoes to maintain the dihedral of the wings and rest the vertical rudder. The elements are temporarily fixed with pins, map pins and poster fixing pins.

I believe that between today and tomorrow I will finish the model.
Old 08-10-2023, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Always fascinated me this plane. Looking forward to the finished model!
Old 08-10-2023, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Its coming along nicely. I'm always impressed by the various types of jigs builders use.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:22 AM

Smile

Thanks!

Last night, I installed the wing struts and a few other small elements before moving on to painting the corners. Few parts are missing and minimal rigging that goes on the landing gear.

Old 08-11-2023, 05:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I'm looking at your pictures of model I got myself thinking about how long did French designers stayed with parasol monoplanes since days of first Morane parasols? That idea was so successful it was even implemented into twin engine bombers with few very different configurations of engines. Some of them got incredibly famous for different reasons with last one ,Farman F.220 "Jules Verne" being the first bomber to bomb Berlin during ww2 (on 7 June 1940).

And then ,like Phoenix from ashes, they took to skies again in 1960s in form of various homebuilts and replicas of WW1 fighters. They showed up in many WW1 themed films that sparked pretty long lasting vogue.

Thanks for this memory trip Pericles . Now I have to dig up my copy of "Blue Max"
Old 08-14-2023, 10:08 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
I'm looking at your pictures of model I got myself thinking about how long did French designers stayed with parasol monoplanes since days of first Morane parasols? That idea was so successful it was even implemented into twin engine bombers with few very different configurations of engines. Some of them got incredibly famous for different reasons with last one ,Farman F.220 "Jules Verne" being the first bomber to bomb Berlin during ww2 (on 7 June 1940).

And then ,like Phoenix from ashes, they took to skies again in 1960s in form of various homebuilts and replicas of WW1 fighters. They showed up in many WW1 themed films that sparked pretty long lasting vogue.

Thanks for this memory trip Pericles . Now I have to dig up my copy of "Blue Max"
Thank you so much for your words Karol! I'm glad it triggered good memories, good thoughts, and good movies (I love Bluemax).

About parasol design, what I'm going to write is more accumulated knowledge than written source (my theory as a historian). The parasol (high wing) design is an old idea first used by Santos Dumont with his "Demoiselle" and Louis Bleriot with one of the military variations of the Bleriot IX, both pioneering inventors were friends, so they exchanged a lot of knowledge about this wing configuration. The Fokker Spine is another slightly later aircraft that deserves mention. The fact is that the French aeronautical industry embraced the concept during World War I, although Emille Dewoitine and Morane Saulnier definitely explored it.

I particularly think that in the field of paper modelling, French designs are still underrated, although Bruno and Leo de La Rosa (Artvars) have important contributions in this field. They are "ugly" planes but with interesting and important designs. I still miss several important types like the aforementioned Farman and many French seaplanes, but I hope that over time our dear designers will fill in these gaps.

Finally, about these World War I aircraft replicas, as I remember many came out of the workshops of Ronald Payen (1914 - 2004), in the 60s and 70s, a notable French aeronautical engineer, who is one of the fathers of the delta wing.

Old 08-14-2023, 02:01 PM

Smile

On Saturday I finished NiD-629, the fifth NiD in my collection on the subject. A pleasant model to be built.

As I have mentioned on other occasions, the NiD-629 represents the latest development of this family of sesquiplanes produced in large numbers in France, 50 built with modified wing and ailerons, powered by a 500 hp (370 kW) Hispano-Suiza 12Mdsh, it was not the fastest of the entire family, but electrically and structurally the most advanced and most manoeuvrable. It entered service in 1934, and a handful of them with many Nid 622s saw it fight in the Battle of France in 1940 despite being totally obsolete.

The NiD-629 conversion and repaint is based on the book I had already used in 2021 to make the other conversions/additions to Bruno's original model.

This conversion and repaint is simple, it is more like a repaint, to represent the ailerons of this version, and some characteristics of the engine that are different. The only thing more that the model really has are two wind turbines, one in the form of a turbine and the other with a propeller that this variant had. The model is based on #788-789 in Bruno catalogue.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It is a real beauty - a Golden Age classic!

Don