PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-09-2024, 01:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
What's that tool which looks like a leaf spring with tweezers on the end?
Old 02-09-2024, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Very nice Mi-1 Pericles. I'm glad to be of help and feel free to PM me if you need any pictures of my builds.

While building my Mi-1 i looked up its construction under skin and few very interesting details came up. Rotor blades were of mix wood-steel construction. Steel tube had wooden ribs attached to it ,leading edge was made of plywood and entire blade was covered with fabric. It all made for light and not expensive blade but it needed to be replaced frequently. Engine of MI-1 was a far descendant of Wright R-1820 Cyclone. It was half of it. Engine had forced cooling system either copied from or inspired by same system used in Lavochkin piston fighters. It worked but it was very noisy. Mill helicopters generally had poor reputation for excessive noise in cabin from powerplant all the way until Mi-8.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Well done on the Hare Pér.

Something I do on helo rotor blades is insert those 'twist-ties' that come with a lot of kitchen products. Depending on the width of the blade, the plastic can be left on or off. Have it over-length with the end sandwiched between hub parts.
Allows you to form the correct 'droop' and even after years (as on this Kamov) does not lose it's original shape.

Hope this is some help to helicopter builders!
Attached Thumbnails
My Scissors and Planes Collection in 1/100 - Take 2-aa.jpg   My Scissors and Planes Collection in 1/100 - Take 2-aaaa.jpg  
Old 02-10-2024, 05:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Great Idea Garry. I use those in my kitchen as well.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Thank you very much friends, I'm doing a little Carnival trip, I'm on the border with Uruguay. I'll be back on Wednesday and respond to everyone appropriately.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:07 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1158 View Post
A very fine airframe, always good to see and they certainly brighten my day. Ta mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonjohn View Post
Very neat tiny model. Didn't realize how small until the last picture. We have mosquitoes bigger than that up here .

John
Thanks for the kind words

Indeed, 1/100 scale depend of subject size is very small.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwi View Post
What's that tool which looks like a leaf spring with tweezers on the end?
Hello Siwi, these are castroviejo-type molybdenum steel surgical scissors, I have three of them for ultra-precise and straight cuts. I use it to remove shavings and make intricate cuts. It's an expensive tool, but if well cared for it will last a lifetime.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:11 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
Very nice Mi-1 Pericles. I'm glad to be of help and feel free to PM me if you need any pictures of my builds.

While building my Mi-1 i looked up its construction under skin and few very interesting details came up. Rotor blades were of mix wood-steel construction. Steel tube had wooden ribs attached to it ,leading edge was made of plywood and entire blade was covered with fabric. It all made for light and not expensive blade but it needed to be replaced frequently. Engine of MI-1 was a far descendant of Wright R-1820 Cyclone. It was half of it. Engine had forced cooling system either copied from or inspired by same system used in Lavochkin piston fighters. It worked but it was very noisy. Mill helicopters generally had poor reputation for excessive noise in cabin from powerplant all the way until Mi-8.
Thank you my friend! On other occasions I will consult you, as it is not all of your excellent constructions that you offer us here on the forum. Thank you also very much for the trivia, I watched a video on YouTube of the engine starting on this helicopter and it really is noisy.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:14 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
Well done on the Hare Pér.

Something I do on helo rotor blades is insert those 'twist-ties' that come with a lot of kitchen products. Depending on the width of the blade, the plastic can be left on or off. Have it over-length with the end sandwiched between hub parts.
Allows you to form the correct 'droop' and even after years (as on this Kamov) does not lose it's original shape.

Hope this is some help to helicopter builders!
Thank you my friend. This is a valuable tip from you. I use a variation of this method using cardboard strips glazed with CA glue as internal reinforcement in addition to reinforcing the rotor core with this glue.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:29 PM

Smile Aspects of my trip (little offtopic)

As I said, I took a short trip during the Carnival holiday, which lasted from last Saturday until today at noon, to the coast of the extreme south of Brazil in my state, on the border with Uruguay. We went to a friends house on Hermenegildo beach and also visited Uruguay in the Department of Rocha.

It's a rough sea with rocky beaches and shell deposits, but on this holiday it was calm and warm, with lots of people on the beach.

We visited Barra do Chuy, where the geographical border with Uruguay is, in the photos the other side is Uruguay. Chuy is the southernmost point in Brazil, famous for its lighthouse (which I forgot to take photos of).

And every night we drink a lot of Uruguayan beer and eat a roast in strips at Parrilla, a type of barbecue common in Uruguay.

On the return trip, a visit to the Taim ecological reserve, a world heritage site, one of the largest freshwater baths in the world, fed by Lagoa dos Patos and Lagoa Mirim, with lots of wildlife, a profusion of birds, capybaras and yellow-skinned caimans. . The road is protected with steel screens, has underground passages for animals and vehicle speeds are controlled at no more than 50 km/h over a 25km stretch.