Old 05-24-2023, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good info! Thanks, Garry.

Don
Old 05-25-2023, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Thank you friends!

The Hawker Horsley is one of many British military aircraft of the 1920s, designed in 1925 as a long-range day bomber with the secondary capability of launching torpedoes. It was also used by the Royal Greek Navy in the 1930s. (which Bruno also offers in his catalog and will also be built by me in the future) A little over 100 units were produced. A different version was developed for the Danish Navy with a Pegasus radial engine and a fuselage that could accommodate three crew members and the ability to interchange wheels and floats, this plane was baptized with the name Dantorp, but only two of the ten that Denmark intended to build were produced , these planes were used in combat during the German invasion.

Some interesting things about the Horsley: Despite carrying torpedoes, it was never a carrier-based naval aircraft, although it served in the Greek and Danish navies. Its cell, as in many French designs at the time, allowed the interchange of a wide variety of engines. The Horsley served as a test bed for the Napier Lion, Rolls-Royce Buzzard, Rolls-Royce Eagle, the Armstrong Siddeley Leopard radial engine, the Junkers Jumo diesel engine and early versions of the Rolls-Royce Merlin. The Horsley was chosen to attempt a non-stop flight to India, with a specially modified aircraft, carrying much more fuel and taking off at a weight of over 14,000 lb (6,350 kg) took off from RAF Cranwell on 20 May 1927, flown by Flight Lieutenants Roderick Carr and L.E.M Gillman. It ran out of fuel en route, however, ditching in the Persian Gulf near Bandar Abbas, Iran. Despite this it had covered a distance of 3,420 mi (5,500 km), which was sufficient to set a new world distance record, but was beaten in turn within a few hours by Charles Lindbergh, whose solo Atlantic flight between New York and Paris in the Spirit of St. Louis covered 3,590 mi (5,780 km))

It left operational service in the RAF in 1935 and last in 1938 serving as a test bed for the R&R Merlin engine in the RAE.

In the pic a Dantorp.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:33 AM

I am learning a lot from these recent posts. I was unaware that the Dantorp was a radial-engined Horsely.

I really like the look of this airplane, in both its in-line and radial engined configurations.

Don
Old 05-25-2023, 10:07 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I am learning a lot from these recent posts. I was unaware that the Dantorp was a radial-engined Horsely.

I really like the look of this airplane, in both its in-line and radial engined configurations.

Don
My pleasure my friend!
Old 05-31-2023, 07:22 PM

Smile

Hello my friends, after some time away for some personal issues. We resume our carousel of Scissors and Planes constructions. At the moment I have the complete parts of the two Hawker Furies and the Curtiss P-1, now I hope to finalize the parts of the Breguet XIX and the NiD-629 to leave for the jets. This week we didn't have a CCCP meeting, so I didn't work at Horsley. But still in English aircraft, Bruno sent me a mysterious plane to be tested, let's see if my friends guess what it is. Next week, photos will emerge that will clarify, but I can tell you that it is an aircraft that I have been waiting for a long time and Bruno has fulfilled a request I made him years ago. (He literally moved my Christmas forward by a semester.)

Old 06-01-2023, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
'I know!! I know!!' He cried out like a little kid..., '... but I won't tell you'.

I'm just hoping it comes out ok. ... and it's not the builder i'm worried about
Old 06-01-2023, 11:43 AM

The three little square fuselage windows and the low aspect ratio wings say Short Stirling, but the overall dark earth color scheme with white codes have me stumped.

Don
Old 06-01-2023, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Fairey Hendon. Ugly duckling but it helped greatly with determining direction of development of UK bombing doctrine and bombers themselves. Many of it's then new features showed up later in Battle, Whitley, Stirling,Wellesley and Wellington.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:17 PM

I agree, Karol.

Don
Old 06-01-2023, 11:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorsandplanes View Post
'I know!! I know!!' He cried out like a little kid..., '... but I won't tell you'.

I'm just hoping it comes out ok. ... and it's not the builder i'm worried about
Woooo! For a second I thought, finally a Harrow (the cousin of the Bombay), but I am very happy with a Hendon!
I guess it is also an early Christmas in the Northern Hemisphere!