PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-16-2018, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Falco, I was just thinking about your dilemma with the cowl. On Brent's '1/100 is the new black' thread there's a picture of 'Boog' built by himself just after he designed it- the cowl seems to fit fine. If everything is scaled up then by rights it should still fit (unless there's some unknown factor at play like card thickness or something).

You say to enlarge you snapshot separate part(s) and print on separate sheets. I'm thinking maybe the cowl was accidentally enlarged by a factor different from everything else?

Might be worth investigating.

Regards, Garry G.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.45 MB
I sent a new cowl to see if it would work (and I wouldn't have to test build it)I have printed it out and will give it a try. Looks like I owe Falco a repaint of his choice.

Thanks,
Brent
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
It's ok guys... I'm enjoying myself with the S&P P-47B! I did investigate the scale up of the cowling and it is correct (the photo showing my earlier 1/50 build with "1/50 Boog" next to it) so card thickness should not be a factor. I will try again with the new cowling provided by Brent. As for the repaint of my choice I pick a generic "all metal" finish including USAF markings with aircraft serial 051286 (my birthday)

P.S. The card stock that gives this shine is 100 lb card stock I got from Office Depot. I don't remember the brand but I am not a big fan of it as without using sealer the ink rubs off easily. my Krylon has still not arrived believe it or not...I guess Amazon does not prioritize non-prime orders.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 PM

I did a test on the cowl and it worked for me. What I did was score the black where it meets the olive drab. I then cut into the black to just before the olive drab. I did this every cm or so and bent that inwards. Make the cowl and slide it over. Good luck.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
Falco's S&P Builds-touchb.jpg   Falco's S&P Builds-toucha.jpg   Falco's S&P Builds-touch.jpg  
Old 04-17-2018, 05:01 AM

Great... I will try this! also I noticed that your cowling face plate is recessed into the cowling, is that how it is supposed to be?
Google Adsense
Old 04-17-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
Great... I will try this! also I noticed that your cowling face plate is recessed into the cowling, is that how it is supposed to be?
That's how I do my Scissors and Planes models, I do not like the "flush" look. I use the connecting strip at the end of the last piece of cowling and draw a connecting tab on it and glue it together and insert it in the completed cowl and glue the engine face plate to give it a recessed look. I also use Staples brand brochure paper that is 38lbs for my models.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I get your gist but could you mebbe post a pic or two for those of us who rode the little bus...
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 04-17-2018, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Quote:
Indeed, my earlier designs had the "flush" look. Nowadays I try to make some 3D intakes and engines. The P-47 should be revisited one day
Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Bruno if you do revisit the P-47B you won't have much to chew on as the little guy is near perfection for this level of simplicity... I would only suggest (if I may) that you join the elevators, vertical stabilizer and wings into a one piece assembly rather than two thus simplifying the kit even more; if you do so I will be first in line to purchase it and everything else you can dish out at us.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Quote:
Bruno if you do revisit the P-47B you won't have much to chew on as the little guy is near perfection for this level of simplicity... I would only suggest (if I may) that you join the elevators, vertical stabilizer and wings into a one piece assembly rather than two thus simplifying the kit even more; if you do so I will be first in line to purchase it and everything else you can dish out at us.
That is indeed one of the improvements I try to do when revisiting.
And thanks for the kind words.
Google Adsense