PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-25-2022, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Thanks for looking in and commenting folks.
I daresay Don puts in a lot more time for this thread than me and I'm sure he won't mind me speaking for him as well as myself in thanking everyone for their interest.

We're going to go BIG on our next project.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
Thanks for looking in and commenting folks.
I daresay Don puts in a lot more time for this thread than me and I'm sure he won't mind me speaking for him as well as myself in thanking everyone for their interest.

We're going to go BIG on our next project.
An XB-15? Or a Coronado?
Old 05-26-2022, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanShort1 View Post
An XB-15? Or a Coronado?
Subtle hint: it's a Coronado.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Quote:
Subtle hint: it's a Coronado.
Hey, got it right!
Old 05-26-2022, 08:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Quote:
Next up is a Curtiss F8C-4 Helldiver of Battle Force Fighting Sqn One (VF-1B) ca 1931.
Not one of Bruno's but I pinched the wheels, gun, engine and prop from his Vought O2U Corsair, evolving the fuselage from the same model. Flying surfaces, landing gear and struts are from scratch.
And yes, I will be doing King Kong movie (1933 and 2005) versions down the track!
Model has been submitted to Ecards and now over to Don Boose for his usual in-depth description of the full size.
Very beautiful my friend! And awesome in depth research from Don!Is one of my favorite thread on PM.com
Old 05-27-2022, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Many thanks for stopping by and for your generous comment, Péricles.

Garry are doing this because we enjoy working together to learn about the history of U.S. Navy and Marine Corps interwar aviation, but it definitely feels good to know that someone is reading the write ups and viewing the models. Comments like yours are a big encouragement, but I'm also always happy to have someone provide additional information or corrections - or just say they're tracking the thread.

And of course, praise from Caesar is praise indeed.

Don
Old 05-27-2022, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I know very little about US navy or USMC aviation before ww2 so I'm lurking here hoping to learn and so far I'm enjoying myself immensely. Carry on.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:20 PM

The biggest model so far for our thread- this is the ATVARS Consolidated PB2Y-2 Coronado in the markings of Patrol Sqn 13 (VP-13) out of San Diego, Dec 1940.

Despite it's challenging size, one of the best engineered paper models I've ever put together and currently available from Ecards along with the other ATVARS PB2Y marks.

And now over to Don Boose for his usual in-depth study of the type, along with the service record and ultimate fate of BuNo 1633.

Thanks for looking.

Garry G.
Attached Thumbnails
US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-1-.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-2-.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-3-.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-4-.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-5-.jpg  

US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-6-.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-7-.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-8-.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-9-.jpg  
Old 07-02-2022, 06:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Consolidated PB2Y-2 BuNo 1633

Garry’s model is of U.S. Navy Consolidated PB2Y-2 Coronado, Bureau of Aeronautics Number (BuNo) 1633 in pre-war colors and markings as the lead aircraft of Section One, Patrol Squadron 13 (VP-13), of Patrol Wing (PatWing) One based at Naval Air Station (NAS) San Diego in December 1940.

Consolidated Aircraft, founded by former U.S. Army Air Service Major Reuben Fleet on 29 May 1923, got its start building training aircraft for the U.S. Army and Navy. In 1928 it began building single engine commercial aircraft under the name “Fleet Aircraft” and also began designing and building long-range commercial and naval flying boats. In 1935, the same year that Consolidated moved from Buffalo, New York, to San Diego, California, the company began producing the superb PBY patrol bomber (Consolidated Model 28).

At about the same time, the U.S. Navy sought designs for a four-engine patrol bomber. Sikorsky responded with the XPBS-1 while Consolidated offered its Model 29, XPB2Y-1: the experimental (“X”) version of the second navy patrol bomber (“PB2”) built by Consolidated. “Y” was the manufacturer code assigned to Consolidated since “C” was already being used by Curtiss. The single XPBS-1 was used by the Navy as a VIP transport until it was wrecked on 30 June 1942. Martin also submitted a proposal (Model 160) that, although it was not accepted by the Navy, was the basis for the Martin Model 170, the JRM-1 Mars.

The XPB2Y-1, BuNo 0453, had a deep hull that eliminated the need for a wing pylon as used on the PBY, a wingspan of 115 feet, a ten-man crew, and provision for six tons of bombs: up to eight 1,000-pound bombs carried internally in the wings in bomb bays between the engines and up to four 1,000-pound bombs or two Mark 13 torpedoes externally outboard of the engines. It was powered by four 1,050-horsepower Pratt & Whitney XR-1830-72 Twin Wasp engines. During the first flight on 17 December 1937 (the 34th anniversary of the Wright Brothers’ first flight and the day the 100th PBY rolled off the assembly line), the aircraft exhibited “direction peculiarities” in the words of the flight test report. The problem was eventually solved by replacing the single tail fin with twin fins and rudders and a V-shaped horizontal stabilizer and elevators.

Identifying and correcting the directional stability problem and changes to the hull configuration took nearly eight months, but BuNo 0453 was finally delivered to the Navy on 24 August 1938. After further trials and participation in an aerial review by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the aircraft was handed over to Rear Admiral Arthur B. Cook, Commander, Aircraft, Scouting Force, at Naval Air Station Seattle at Sand Point, Washington. On 24 August 1939, RADM Cook transferred his flag from USS [I[Memphis[/I] (CL-13) to BuNo 0453, which became the first Navy aircraft to serve as an admiral’s “Flag Plane.” This airplane, dubbed the “Blue Goose,” would serve as a headquarters transport until August 1945, eventually serving as the personal transport of Admiral Chester Nimitz, the Commander-in-Chief of the Pacific Fleet and the Pacific Ocean Areas (CINCPAC/CINCPOA).

On 31 March 1939, the Navy ordered six PB2Y-2s (BuNos 1633-1638) for further evaluation. These aircraft had a deeper hull, larger tail fins and rudders similar to those of the Consolidated B-24 bomber, more powerful supercharged 1,200-horsepower R-1830-78 engines, a nine-person crew, and an armament of six .50-caliber machine guns in three turrets. Five of these aircraft (BuNos 1633-1637) were delivered to Patrol Squadron 13 (VP-13) of Patrol Wing One at San Diego beginning on 31 December 1940. VP-13 had been established for the sole purpose of testing and developing the four engine PB2Ys but served throughout World War II in the Pacific as a patrol and, after 1 October 1944, as a patrol bomber (VPB) squadron. As delivered, the VP-13 PB2Y-2s had no self-sealing fuel tanks or armor protection for the crew and were intended to test operating concepts and for further development of the type.

Throughout 1941, XPB2Y-1 BuNo 0453 and the four PB2Y-2s of VP-13 operated as long-range transports, primarily flying between the U.S. West Coast and Hawaii. They also practiced long-range patrol, bombing and torpedo attack, antisubmarine warfare, and downed pilot rescue and participated in Project BAKER, an attempt to develop a system for radio-assisted blind landings. In August 1941, VP-13 conducted tests of aerial refueling in order to extend the range of the aircraft. The tests were successful, but the fuel transfer procedure was judged to be too complicated and time consuming to be used operationally. In October 1941, the Navy applied popular names to aircraft in service, the PB2Ys being named “Coronado.”

Based on operational experience of VP-13, the last PB2Y-2 (BuNo 1638) was held at the factory for modifications and delivered to the Navy in December 1941 as XPB2Y-3 with 1,200-horsepower R-1830-88 engines, eight .50-caliber machine guns, self-sealing fuel tanks, and 2,000-pounds of armor for the crew. It continued to be used as a testbed, eventually being re-designated XPB2Y-6. The PB2Y-3 was the major production version with 210 eventually being built, of which ten were delivered to the British as PB2Y-3Bs (Royal Air Force Coronado Is), 31 were built as unarmed transports (PB2Y-3R), some served as VIP transports (PB2Y-3 and 5F or Z) and some were modified with low-altitude engines and increased fuel capacity as PB2Y-5s or 5Hs (the “hospital” aeromedical evacuation version).

Garry’s model portrays BuNo 1633, as it appeared from December 1940 to mid-1941 as the lead aircraft of Patrol Squadron 13 (13-P-1) based at NAS San Diego. The aircraft is overall natural aluminum finish with silver-painted fabric control surfaces and the top of the wing painted Orange Yellow. In accordance with Bureau of Aeronautics painting instructions of 8 October 1940, a single vertical True Blue stripe on the fins and rudders and a single horizontal True Blue stripe on the horizontal stabilizers and elevators identified the aircraft as assigned to VP-13, PatWing One: the single stripe meant Patrol Wing (PatWing) One; the True Blue color identified VP-13 as the third squadron in PatWing One. The vertical Insignia Red stripe on the fuselage and the Insignia Red engine cowlings and formation chevron on the top wing identify 13-P-1 as in the lead aircraft of the first section of the squadron. The individual aircraft number “1” was painted outboard of the engines on the top of the wing. The black stripe running along the spine of the fuselage is a walkway for those servicing the aircraft. The national insignia star on the forward fuselage was known as the “Neutrality Patrol Star” and, beginning in March 1940, was added to U.S. Navy aircraft participating in the Neutrality Patrol, a combined air and ship patrol of the U.S. coasts, established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on 4 September 1939 after the outbreak of war in Europe.

BuNo 1633 and its fellow PB2Y-2s only appeared in this colorful scheme for a short time. A 30 December 1940 Bureau of Aeronautics directive called for the upper surfaces of all fleet patrol aircraft to be painted Non-Specular (matt) Blue Gray and the lower surfaces to be painted Non-Specular Light Gray. By the time of the Pearl Harbor attack on 7 December 1941, all of the VP-13 PB2Ys had been so painted.

After the war began, all the PB2Ys were fitted with self-sealing fuel tanks, armor, and additional guns. The XPB2Y-1 and PB2Y-2s of VP-13 began regular long-range flights to Hawaii and Australia. In February 1942, VP-13 established a detachment of four PB2Y-2s at NAS Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, to maintain an air line-of-communication to Australia. On 17 April 1942, BuNo 1633 deployed from San Diego to Hawaii for temporary duty with Patrol Wing Two at NAS Kaneohe. By that time, the aircraft had been re-designated as 13-P-5 and BuNo 1637 had been re-designated as 13-P-1. On 6 May 1942, the airplane, piloted by Lieutenant Bowen F. McLeod, lost power in the Number 3 engine shortly after takeoff due to an obstruction in the carburetor discharge nozzle. During the subsequent emergency landing, the left wingtip float struck a channel marker. The aircraft veered, hitting the corner of a dock, shearing off the right float and holing the hull. The aircraft sank in 20 feet of water. Two passengers were drowned, and the crew and other passengers suffered various non-fatal injuries. The plane was recovered but was unrepairable and was stricken from the Navy list on 9 May 1942.

PB2Ys served throughout the war. Half were used as long-range personnel, cargo, and aeromedical evacuation transports by the Naval Air Transport Service. Those assigned to patrol and patrol bomber squadrons carried out maritime patrol and reconnaissance, long-range bombing, torpedo attack, anti-submarine, mine laying, and air-sea rescue (DUMBO) missions and occasionally engaged in air-to-air combat. PB2Ys were credited with the destruction of eleven Japanese aircraft, including one twin-engine fighter, without loss to themselves. At the end of the war, most of the PB2Ys were scrapped. Only one, PB2Y-5Z, BuNo 7099, survives on display at the National Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola, Florida.

Garry and I would like to thank Debbie Seracini, Archivist of the San Diego Air & Space Museum, who has been very helpful to our research in the past, and who poured over countless images, flight logs, and the VP-13 Deck Log to provide us with images of BuNo 1633 and to resolve the “history mystery” of the identity of the airplane that crashed at Pearl Harbor on 6 May 1942.

1. Consolidated XPB2Y-1 BuNo 0453, Flag Plane of Rear Admiral Arthur B. Cook, Commander, Aircraft, Scouting Force, at Naval Air Station San Diego on 20 July 1940. RADM Cook transferred his flag from USS [I[Memphis[/I] (CL-13) to BuNo 0353 on 24 August 1939. Courtesy of the San Diego Air & Space Museum.

2-4. Consolidated PB2Y-2, 13-P-1, the lead aircraft of VP-13, Patrol Wing One, in flight on 26 and 27 November 1940 near Naval Air Station San Diego, California. Courtesy of the San Diego Air & Space Museum.

5-6. Consolidated PB2Y-2, BuNo 1633, 13-P-1, on its beaching gear at NAS San Diego on 18 December 1940. Courtesy of the San Diego Air & Space Museum.

7. Color image of Consolidated PB2Y-2, BuNo 1633, 13-P-1, showing the markings, including the Insignia Red Section 1 formation chevron on the top wing. Note retractable wingtip floats extended. Seawings: The Flying Boat Website

8. Paul Imhoff color profile of Consolidated PB2Y-2, BuNo 1633, 13-P-1 in the December 1940-early-1941 colors and markings of Garry’s model. Seawings: The Flying Boat Website

9. Paul Imhoff color profile of Consolidated PB2Y-2, BuNo 1633, 13-P-1 after it was painted in the early war non-specular blue and light gray scheme. Seawings: The Flying Boat Website

10. Photograph of Consolidated PB2Y-2, 13-P-1, in blue/light gray color scheme afloat at San Diego in early 1942. Life Magazine 2 September 1942, via VPNavy.org.

11. Deck Log of Patrol Squadron 13 6-8 May 1942, documenting the crash of 13-P-5. The accident report identifies the airplane as BuNo 1633. Courtesy of the San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives.

12. The colorful and dramatic squadron insignia approved for VP-13 on 27 September 1940. It consisted of King Neptune holding a lightning bolt and driving four rampaging horses representing the four engines of the PB2Y. The insignia was painted on some of the VP-13 PB2Y-2s, but not on 13-P-1. VPNavy.org.

Sources:

Hal Andrews, “PB2Y Coronado,” Naval Aviation News, Vol. 72, No. 1 (November-December 1989), pp. 22-23.

Aviation Archeological Investigation and Research, “USN Consolidated PB2Y Coronado Accident Reports,” available at USN Consolidated PB2Y Coronado Accident Reports (aviationarchaeology.com)

Joe Baugher, “US Navy and US Marine Corps BuNos, Second Series (0001 to 5029),” available at US Navy and US Marine Corps BuNos--Second Series (0001 to 5029)

Peter M. Bowers, “The Ghost of Coronado,” Wings, Vol. 2, No. 1 (February 1972, pp. 36-49.

Mary Bracho, ed., Squadron 13 and the Big Flying Boats, Ashland, OR: Hellgate Press, 2005.

Douglas E. Campbell, BuNos! Consolidated PB2Y Coronados, Washington, DC: Syneca Research Group, 2021.

Frank DeLorenzo, “The Coronado: A Four-Engine Seaplane,” Naval Aviation Museum Foundation Newsletter Vol. 9, No. 1 (Fall, 1987).

Thomas E. Doll, Berkley R. Jackson, and William A. Riley, [I]Navy Air Colors: United States Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Camouflage and Markings, Vol. 1 1911-1945, Carrollton, TX: Squadron/Signal, 1983.

John M. Elliott, The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide, Vol. 2, 1940-1949, Sturbridge, MA: Monogram Aviation Publications, 1989.

Forgotten Props, A Warbirds Resource Group Site, “Consolidated PB2Y Coronado,” available at Forgotten Props - A Warbirds Resource Group Site

William Green, “Consolidated PB2Y-2 – PB2Y-5 Coronado,” Warplanes of the Second World War, Volume Five, Flying Boats, Garden City, NY: Doubleday and Company, 1962, pp. 158-163.

Roy A. Grossnick, “VPB-13,” and “Appendix 1, PB2Y Coronado,” Dictionary of American Naval Aviation Squadrons Volume 2: The History of VP, VPB, VP(H) and VP(AM) Squadrons, Washington DC: NHHC, 2020, pp. 408-415, 667-668, available at: Service Unavailable.

Richard Hoffman, Consolidated PB2Y Coronado, Naval Fighters Number Eighty Five, Simi Valley, CA: Ginter Books, 2009.

William T. Larkins, U.S. Navy Aircraft 1921-1941, Concord, CA: Aviation History Publications, 1961.

Norman Polmar, “Historic Aircraft: The Big Flying Boat,” [I]Naval History[/I/], Vol. 27, No. 2 (March 2013), available at Historic Aircraft - The Big Flying Boat | Naval History Magazine - April 2013 Volume 27, Number 2

Brian Ribbans, “Seawings: The Flying Boat Website,” available at: SEAWINGS - The Flying Boat web site

William A. Riley and Thomas E. Doll, “Blue Goose” Command Aircraft of the USN, USMC, and USCG 1911 to 1961, Naval Fighters Number One Hundred, Simi Valley, CA: Ginter Books, 2015, pp. 88-97.

Michael D. Roberts, Reuben Fleet and the Story of Consolidated Aircraft, Fallbrook, CA: Aero Publishers, 1976.

San Diego Air & Space Museum, Image Collection, available at: https://sandiegoairandspace.org/coll...age-collection

VP-Navy, “Patrol Squadron 13,” available at http://www.vpnavy.com/vp13.html

John Wegg, “Model 29 PB2Y Coronado,” General Dynamics Aircraft and their Predecessors, Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1990, pp. 78-81.
Attached Thumbnails
US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-1-consolidated_xpb2y-1_buno_0453_flagplane_aircraft_scouting_force_nas_seattle_390824-sdasm.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-2-consolidated_pb2y-2_buno1633_13-p-1_vp-13_1940_sdasm.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-3-consolidated_pb2y-2_buno1633_13-p-1_vp-13_1940_sdasm.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-4-consolidated_pb2y-2_buno1633_vp-13_1940_sdasm.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-5-consolidated_pb2y-2_buno1633_vp-13_nas_san_diego_18-dec-1940_sdasm.jpg  

US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-6-consolidated_pb2y-2_buno1633_vp-13_nas_san_diego_18-dec-1940_sdasm.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-7-consolidated_pb2y-2_buno1633_vp-13_1940_seawings.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-8-consolidated_pb2y-2_buno1633_vp-13_13-p-1_nas-san_diego_26_nov_1940_lanhof-seawings.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-9-consolidated_pb2y-2_buno1633_vp-13_nas_kaneohe-hi-1942_lanhof-seawings.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-10-consolidated_pb2y-2_buno1633_vp-13_vpnavy.jpg  

US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-11-vp-13_deck_log_6-8_may_1942_sdasm.jpg   US Navy and USMC Between The Wars in 1/100-12-vp13_insignia_vpnavy.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 07-02-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
That is a GORGEOUS build! Bravo!

Wyvern