PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-21-2024, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 GB
Fouga Magister in Ecole de l'Air livery

For various personnal reasons, the Fouga Magister in the Ecole de l'Air livery is the model I have dreamt of for years. Since none was available, I decided in 2019 to create my own model. I don't mean I designed the model. I started from an existing very old and faded Geli kit and decided to rework and repaint it. I did not anticipate the long way it would be to get an acceptable result. Only the third and final attempt has been satisfying (more or less) in … 2024.

The modifications have been the following:
Overall refurbishing of the grey color, redrawing of the lines of rivets to make them symmetrical on both sides of the plane, light weathering.
Specific features of the Ecole de l'Air livery : the emblem “Eagle feeding its little eagles in the nest” in addition to the French roundels, the stenciled ID “312-TK” and the anti-collision orange stripes on the V-tail.

Other improved features:
Landing light with clear cover.
Front landing gear with doubled-wheels.
Nose aerials.
Hydraulic pipes on the main landing gears.
New cockpit, instrument panels and seats (Actually those of Yoav's model . Thanks a lot Yoav).

I'm not a beginner in this hobby. I already have built more than 25 models, some builds were challenging but this Fouga has surpassed them. There has been no single step that went straight forward and easy. However, in no way this is criticism against the kit. It was designed at a time computers did not exist, so it was an acceptable model drawn by hand.

Fouga Magister in Ecole de l'Air livery-ecole-de-lair.jpg

Fouga Magister in Ecole de l'Air livery-fouga465_dv5-312_26071972.jpg

Fouga Magister in Ecole de l'Air livery-img_0024-2.jpg

Fouga Magister in Ecole de l'Air livery-img_0025-2.jpg

Fouga Magister in Ecole de l'Air livery-img_0026-2.jpg

Fouga Magister in Ecole de l'Air livery-img_0027-2.jpg

Fouga Magister in Ecole de l'Air livery-img_0030-2.jpg

Fouga Magister in Ecole de l'Air livery-img_0034-2.jpg
Old 02-21-2024, 01:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Nicely done. I can see that the curves on the engines over the wings would be a challenge to shape and glue.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:15 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Fine elegant aircraft.
I have not seen this one before.
It does look like a challenge to build.
Excellent work.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Very nice work.

You can try to build my FOUGA, if you know the model.

YOAV
Old 02-22-2024, 05:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Indeed, excellent work! And perhaps, with Yoav's permission you could use his model as basis for a repaint? Guaranteed no fitting issues !

Cheers,
Erik
Google Adsense
Old 02-22-2024, 10:19 AM

Hi friends,

rmsk2000: yes you've gotten the point. This step of the build was the trickiest one, but installing the canopy was not bad either …

Michael Mash: Fouga Magister jet-trainer for the French Air Force was derived from the Fouga “Sylphe” glider.
Fouga CM 8 R 13 Sylphe I - Passion pour l'aviation
Fouga CM.8.13 — Wikipedia

An other version of the Magister was designed for the French aircraft-carriers, it was name “Zephir”, had an arresting hook but, failing to have folding wings, it could not permanently stay aboard the carriers.
Fouga CM-175 Zephyr — Wikipedia

Other interesting links, with images of the Fouga Magister, that I have used to get specific details
Galerie des CM 170 Fouga Magister classés par numéro

Les Fouga utilise sur la Base Aerienne de Salon de Provence

https://data4.primeportal.net/hangar...dex.php?Page=1

YOAV
: Sure, one day I must try your model. You can notice that I already have used your seats and panel controls in my model. I remember that, when you published it, I asked you if it was possible to get a repainted French version. You said that, besides the different livery there also were significant differences around the rear part of the canopy. I must add that I know how much easy to build your models are. I have already built the Super-Mystère B-2 repainted by Yaron (12th Escadre / Cambrai Air Force base) and I have started building the Mirage III with the Yellow triangles on the wings. By the way, are these 'high visibility” triangles used on planes in training units? Otherwise, which purpose are they for?

Erik Zwaan: See my response to Yoav. Yes, building Yoav's models is trully a piece of cake !!

To all of you, thanks a lot for you friendly comments, I appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:22 AM

Hi friends,

rmsk2000: yes you've gotten the point. This step of the build was the trickiest one, but installing the canopy was not bad either …

Michael Mash: Fouga Magister jet-trainer for the French Air Force was derived from the Fouga “Sylphe” glider.
Fouga CM 8 R 13 Sylphe I - Passion pour l'aviation
Fouga CM.8.13 — Wikipedia

An other version of the Magister was designed for the French aircraft-carriers, it was named “Zephir”, had an arresting hook but, failing to have folding wings, it could not permanently stay aboard the carriers.
Fouga CM-175 Zephyr — Wikipedia

Other interesting links, with images of the Fouga Magister, that I have used to get specific details
Galerie des CM 170 Fouga Magister classés par numéro

Les Fouga utilise sur la Base Aerienne de Salon de Provence

https://data4.primeportal.net/hangar...dex.php?Page=1

YOAV: Sure, one day I must try your model. You can notice that I already have used your seats and panel controls in my model. I remember that, when you published it, I asked you if it was possible to get a repainted French version. You said that, besides the different livery there also were significant differences around the rear part of the canopy. I must add that I know how much easy to build your models are. I have already built the Super-Mystère B-2 repainted by Yaron (12th Escadre / Cambrai Air Force base) and I have started building the Mirage III with the Yellow triangles on the wings. By the way, are these 'high visibility” triangles used on planes in training units? Otherwise, which purpose are they for?

Erik Zwaan: See my response to Yoav. Yes, building Yoav's models is trully a piece of cake !!

To all of you, thanks a lot for you friendly comments, I appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:58 PM

Hi PICARDIE

The black and yellow triangles were intended for identification in the Yom Kippur War, because the enemy also had Mirage planes.

Keep up your beautiful work.

YOAV
Old 02-22-2024, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Indeed, excellent work! And perhaps, with Yoav's permission you could use his model as basis for a repaint? Guaranteed no fitting issues !

Cheers,
Erik
Hi Erik

I said in the past that my models are free and anyone who wants to convert them to a model they like is more than welcome.

It is a matter of pride for me that people build my models all over the world and also use them as a base and as a conversion to another model, which tells me that my models are easy and convenient to build and I probably hit the mark.

YOAV
Old 02-23-2024, 10:18 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Yoav's Magister

I built this kit a while ago -- very nice kit. It gets mistaken for plastic. Thank you, Yoav!
Attached Thumbnails
Fouga Magister in Ecole de l'Air livery-img_0629.jpg  
Google Adsense