PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Rick,

This wonderful board is too friendly and supportive to allow/tolerate such disruptive tantrums as from Airdave.

Gene K
Old 11-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
When doing that repaint I used a color five view of that particular A/C. I liked it for the fact that it had a mix of the older and new insignia. I did not notice that I goofed on the angle of the wing ones though. I'll be
Fixing that asap.. The bird was used for an early kind of COD. Carrying urgent cargo and personnel.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2018, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Jeff -

Thanks for the additional info on the national insignia. I made a post a few minutes ago with some tentative info on the aircraft and its markings. http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/653172-post10.html

Don
Old 11-04-2018, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Thanks for the information gentlemen. Hawkman, it is a really good repaint, and as far as the alignment goes, things like that happen. In my business (signs) occasionally things just get misaligned. I built it because of the unusual scheme.

Mike
Old 11-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Going back to the beginning, the model looks great, very well built, has achieved an excellent result. Congratulations, very well done!
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Don, Thanx for the extra info on those birds.. Is always nice to learn more...
Mike, thank you! I'm glad you liked the repaint.. Since you liked this one ypu might be interested in the fire fighting version I did that is in the civilian section of the downloads. It is all orange, with the added belly tank for slurry or borate.. I am working on a set of ASW birds. TBM-3S/W hunter killer team.the W with the belly radar.
Jeff
Old 11-04-2018, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Nice build Mike. And thanks again Jeff for your wonderful repaints. I've found that with Thai Paperwork models there was always a huge colour difference when I printed them on inkjet than laser. I just never knew why! I know there's a difference with all models printed either way but it's really noticeable on Nobi's creations.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Jeff - I defer to you on the alignment and size of the national insignia.

I have done a little more digging on the Navy high-visibility colors and markings, which you seem to have captured spot on. The guiding document was Amendment 4, 6 May 1946, to SR-2e, U.S. Navy Bureau of Aeronautics Specification for Exterior Colors, Insignia and Markings of Naval Aircraft of 26 June 1944, which changed the color scheme for target towing aircraft.

I have been unable to access a copy of the actual BuAer specification, but John M. Elliott paraphrases the relevant language as: "Single-engine aircraft regularly assigned this mission were to have the top and bottom of all airfoils painted glossy Orange Yellow. Included were wings, vertical fin, horizontal stabilizer and elevators. The fuselage and cowling, as well as a wing walkway on both sides of the fuselage extending 18 inches (45.72 cm) outboard on topside of the wings only was [sic] to be glossy Sea Blue. The rudder and 36 inch (91.44 cm) wide bands around the wings were to be glossy Insignia Red. These bands were to be parallel to the thrust line at one-third the distance outboard from the fuselage to wing tip." [John M. Elliott, The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide, Vol. 2, 1940-1949, Boylston, MA: Monogram Aviation Publications, 1989, pp. 44, 52.]

Lots of recolor possibilities for Grumman F7F Tigercats, Douglas JD-1 Invaders and Skyraiders, and many other aircraft that served with the 1946-mid-50s utility squadrons. I have come across one image of an Avenger water bomber that retained these high visibility colors.

Don
Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM

Don,
Thanks again for sharing the helpful and interesting data for the birds. I always enjoy reading your input on many subjects.
Mike, hopefully you don't mind but I am posting a revised copy of the Utility Avenger here for others to find easier. Thanks again for pointing out the error on the markings I never noticed till you mentioned it. but all fixed now.
Jeff
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 103 - TBM-3U-Avenger2.pdf (1.86 MB, 45 views)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Thanks for the nice comments guys, and thank you Hawkman for updating the pdf for builders down the line.

Mike
Google Adsense