PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Messerschmitt Bf-110 G-4/R8 1:33 (Kartonowy Arsenal 1-2/19')

Hi! Planes from World War II are my passion. I may be monothematic, but on the other hand, this period is so abundant in various and interesting constructions that I focus only on it. So far Messerschmitt Bf-110, one of the Luftwaffe icons, has not been built by me. It is obvious that it stands on one of the top places of my "to do list".

There are not so many cardmodels of Bf-110 in contrast to the Spitfire or Bf-109. There is a model released by the Mały Modelarz, but this is a rather poor project, MPM Model, a fairly old Fly Model and three other published by Kartonowy Arsenał / Military Model. Beyond these three, the model released in 1995 didn't interest me because of its age. If the new release hadn't been published, I would probably build now the great Bf-110 G-2 released in 2004. The sheets were already impregnated, I was studying the instructions... and then the announcement of the new release, the night version of G-4 / R8 appeared. It is a newly designed model. Just take a look at the G-2 and G-4 / R8 cab assembly drawings. The degree of cockpit detail and care for its details make a huge impression on me. I miss two-sided printing, it's a shame that the publisher has abandoned this solution this time.

Above, the cockpit construction from a new release, below from an old one.

The model depicts the machine on which major Heinz Wolfgang Schnaufer, commander of Nachtjagdgeschwader 4 flew in the winter 1944/45. He was one of the most effective night fighter pilots with a score of 121 air victories. In my opinion, there are many better looking paint schemes of night Bf-110, but the publisher decided to choose this one, which just doesn't impress. However, this is not a priority for me.

A big challenge is awaiting me. After studying the model, it became clear that this model is really difficult. I have a great respect for it. I estimate that the build will take at least a year, so I started by sorting the elements, according to their numbering, into those that are going to be needed at the beginning, in the middle and at the end. I won't use the last ones for now, so I hide them in a drawer. I assume that the numbering of the elements must be strictly respected in accordance with the instructions. Step by step. I use laser cut frames and I started by transferring numbering from sheets to elements. Ordnung muss sein.

Cockpit. After having read the first paragraph of the instructions it is clear that we are not dealing with a simple model. There is no entire floor part of the cockpit, which is 140.4 mm long. We build it "in the air", it consists of two separate modules, whose length is 51.05 mm and 89.35 mm. Some would say it is madness and unnecessary exaggeration, for me it is a fascinating challenge, and great pleasure in building it.

I started with the elements from 1-15, which belong to the front module. The module design is very delicate and initially flaccid. Only after the channel (part 7) and side skirts (part 14) are installed, it becomes stiff. I have to be careful not to accidentally damage something. I experienced a moment of horror when the frame fell to the floor and I slightly crushed it with my foot. Fortunately, the damage was not large and everything was repaired.

The set of parts marked with number 15 is a real pleasure for "box" lovers. I'll add some switches and wires at a later stage of build. Currently, the entire radio set is exposed and can be easily damaged.

Rudder-bar before and after being placed into place in the cockpit:

Old 08-24-2019, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I decided to add some more details to the instrument panel. In this model, I used HGW Model seat belts for the first time.

Finally, a control stick, a panel with levers on the left and several switches made of thin tin wire were placed in the cockpit.

At the end, four photos which show the ready front section. So far, I am very happy with what I have built, and the measurement gives hope that I have not made any major mistakes, the length of the section is correct According to the author's recommendation, this section now goes to the "waiting room", and I'm going to build of the rear part of the cockpit. To be continued.

--
Old 08-24-2019, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Wonderful! One of the best Halinskis.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
I for one love the details. Depending on the quality of the kit, it makes a big difference, but only if it can be seen.

Bravo for tackling this complex model.

Isaac
Old 08-24-2019, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
It can be seen, of course. Their moment of spotlight is right now, in construction photos

Details are nice only when clean. You are doing a great job.
Google Adsense
Old 08-24-2019, 03:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Amazing work on the cockpit. It is so realistic. Nice job.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 08-24-2019, 04:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Clean is definitely the word I'd use. Fantastic! More please...Dan
Old 08-24-2019, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
And the word spectacular springs to mind too. Beautiful build.

Unfortunate lack of smaller scale models of this well known WWII Luftwaffe type.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
2 words...great start

YOAV
Old 08-25-2019, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Great details, great build, I also have this model waiting to be build...great start