PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-07-2021, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Indianapolis International Airport in 1:400

Greetings!

I'm new here... this is my very first post. I'm not sure whether this belongs under aviation or architectural, but my father is looking to recreate the old passenger terminal of Indianapolis International Airport (vacated in 2007, demolished in 2012) in 1:400 scale to display our diecast model collection.

I do have some experience with graphic design as well as 3D modeling.

I'm looking for any tips and advice you might have...

What kind of paper is best for models?
Is it better to print at home or have it done commercially?
How do you design a model, as far as breaking it down into basic components and determining the assembly procedure? How do you visualize how complex shapes will appear when flattened?

This terminal consists of 4 concourses, built between the 60s and the 80s, with a variety of architectural styles and elements. Concourse B (American and Delta) looks to be the most technically complex and will most likely be saved for last. This concourse consists of a 7-sided structure topped with a dome surrounded by a sawtooth roof (3 peaks on each of the sides). The same sawtooth roof pattern is also found on concourses A and D, as well as the administration building. The roof has overhangs at the sides, so I will need a way to simulate the thickness (I'm guessing it'll be roughly 1/32" thick or so).

What kinds of special tools or physical aids do you recommend for working in small scales?

Just to illustrate the looks of the buildings, here is...

1. The administration building McDonnell Douglas DC-9-31 - USAir | Aviation Photo #5347533 | Airliners.net

2. Overall view (concourses D, C, and B)
- - - | Aviation Photo #1988025 | Airliners.net

3. Concourse A Douglas DC-9-14 - Delta Air Lines | Aviation Photo #1952852 | Airliners.net

4. Another overall view (concourse D at the bottom, A at the upper right) - - - | Aviation Photo #1080501 | Airliners.net

5. Concourse D Boeing 737-322 - United Airlines | Aviation Photo #0343835 | Airliners.net

6. Another portion of Concourse A https://www.airliners.net/photo/East...Yd7yM1mA%3D%3D

7. Part of one of the jetways at Concourse A https://www.airliners.net/photo/Nort...zrH%2B9JNZk%3D

8. Some basic architectural details of Concourse C, built in the mid-80s... note the rounded contours. How would I reproduce this in 1:400? https://www.airliners.net/photo/Amer...zrH%2B9vNZo%3D

9. Concourse B https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-...zrH%2B9vNZo%3D

If anyone is willing to help us with the layout and design process, we're all ears at this point. I am planning to execute the design in Inkscape (free vector art program) as I have a high degree of experience using it, and it will allow the precision needed to execute this model successfully.

Bruce Bridges
Indianapolis area, IN, USA
Google Adsense
Old 11-08-2021, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Worthy project Bruce. Best of luck with it.

You'd probably do better to post this over in the Designer's Corner section of the forum to get help with this.

Re printing; I print all my models at the print shop. They laser print as opposed to my dodgy Canon inkjet. To me the vastly superior print quality and durability is worth the extra cost and hassle.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
Worthy project Bruce. Best of luck with it.

You'd probably do better to post this over in the Designer's Corner section of the forum to get help with this.

Re printing; I print all my models at the print shop. They laser print as opposed to my dodgy Canon inkjet. To me the vastly superior print quality and durability is worth the extra cost and hassle.
Thank you!
Old 11-09-2021, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Suggest you look at the Epson series of printers called the Eco Tank. I have been very happy with the ET-2720.
Enjoy
Miles
Old 04-02-2024, 06:36 PM

I'm curious if anything ever happened with this project... I love old airports!
Google Adsense