PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.47 MB
Thanks Wyvern,

Due to previous research for business...i have quite a few (ok..ok i admit...a Ton load of MAREK models)...but i just cant resist new ones....Bomark, come on...i need more pics...not good every 15 mins..i am checking in..following this astonishing work of art. really beautiful.

Finally got my cutting mat today.... going to try out that A6M5 zero 1:50 MM.

Going to check Chris' ECardmodels site. By the way.. that building cube used to present models....where is that link?...i am trying to get it.
to buy...or not to buy...damn you MAREK....damn you!!....ummm...can you make one more 1:50??
Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
there's a freebie (in both metric and US) on eCardmodels... designed by Fitter.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Our download section has a nice one too
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
I like that crescent illustration board, I've been using it for artwork for years, (25 or so) but the thicker variety so doesn't warp much with paints. Your build Bomarc looks super still, this will be an impressive model, as the components already are.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.47 MB
thanks Got it.....awsome! thanks rickstefand Wyvern
to buy...or not to buy...damn you MAREK....damn you!!....ummm...can you make one more 1:50??
Google Adsense
Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Well, as with all the guys watching this beauty come together infront of our own eyes... sometimes being rubbed to look again to make sure you actually did see that.... I'm in for the long haul and whatever time it takes, this will and is one of my favourite build threads for ages.... So, hey like our Redhorse says "Don't rush it" - we're enjoying this a whole lot
THE MITCHELL - BY BOMARC - A LEGENDARY AIRCRAFT
IN CAPABLE HANDS
You guys - all of you - are doing an inspiring job of - if nothing else - publishing - that is - making public an incredible array of advanced tecniques - GO FOR IT!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
By the way, Rasta mon, Chris posted some more Marek 1:50 models today!

Wyvern
Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I hate to take up space in this thread with this crude engine, but since you gave me a direct order, Mike, here is the Wright J-5A that goes into the Peter Zorn Dover Spirit of Saint Louis. It is a test build of a scan of the model parts. I will post a thread tomorrow.

It is a crudely-built model of a very simplified version of the Wright designed for beginning paper modelers. It certainly provides a contrast!

Now, I am looking forward to the resumption of broadcasting as you build the second museum-quality PBJ Wright

Don
Don, this looks incredible. I've run out of words...............
Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomarc View Post
I put the most of one cowing together. I really should have used the Boose Method and built a test copy to evaluate what was involved, but this a blow by blow build, warts and all, so it’s all good. After cutting out the parts and making the round bulkhead using the dremel tool trick, I started assembly. Already ran into a problem. If you cut the round bulkheads (R-24 and R-24a) exactly to size, they’ll be a tad too small. I glued a strip of the card the parts came from to increase its diameter. The second piece I’ll just cut a little bigger. I used a magic marker to blacken the edges:

Fits snug now:

Had to really work the front rings of this cowling. The leathercrafter modeling tool I showed before really came in handy to shape the parts, which fought me tooth and nail the whole way, but I think I beat them into submission. Here’s where am at, front and back:

Thankfully, the engine fits. I’ll have to check some B-25 ref’s to see how much the engine protrudes past the lip of the cowling, I may have to shim from behind:

I had enough for tonight. Maybe tomorrow, I’ll glue the front and center pieces together and paint the insides gray, mount the engine and button it up.

Good news is I only have to do this once! Wait a minute……oh damn! Oh well, more to come…..

Mike
I'm surprised Orlik didn't print this two-sided, or print a backup page!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Man, for a moment there, I was having a flashback. All these reposting of older posts had me wondering if I really did finish those cowlings….the horrorthe horror

Anyway, I wanted to add some more about this mat board I like using. Tonight, just for reference, I put a caliper to the plain mat and it comes out at 0.055 inch thick (1.397mm), so not too much thicker that the 1mm the Eastern European model companies tend to recommend. With the parts sheet glued on, thickness only increases to 0.060", so we’re not even at 1/16th of inch yet. Just some numbers to keep in mind if you decide to try this stuff. You’ll have to compensate that difference in your slot cutting and the like, when it’s former cutting time.

Cutting this stuff is pretty easy, and I’d like to show you a trick I use to cut circular shapes. I’ll use one of the upper nacelle formers, which is pretty small (those tiny pieces are always the hardest, right?):

First, I make a rough cut around the edge, keeping about a 32nd of an inch (plus or minus) excess from the line. It's alway good to leave as much as you can on the bottom of the part to make it easier to hold on to:

Then I dig the knife blade a little into the cutting mat, and start shaving off the excess to the line a little at a time:

Short, curvy, strokes, not trying to remove too much with each cut. Just work your way around the part:

And you’re done! The edge of this part won’t even need sanding, it’s already continuous and smooth:

Also the edge is square, and that’s due to keeping the bade on the cutting mat, not the part. Obviously, a fresh blade is better than a used one for this, but this type of mat is pretty forgiving, and makes this method easy to reproduce:

Mike

Last edited by Bomarc; 09-10-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Never ask me that again!
Google Adsense