PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Are you going to be putting the pistons and con-rods inside each one.... JOKE.... i know it wouldn't be possible you wouldn't be able to turn the gudgeon pin TOO TINY :D This is brilliant work here, and like i said before, i will be keeping a close eye on this build my friend
Old 08-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Dunno, gudgeon pin on an R2800 should be just under 1mm in scale......It's doable
Old 08-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
Dunno, gudgeon pin on an R2800 should be just under 1mm in scale......It's doable
Pistons, connecting rods, wrist (or gudgeon, I had to look to look that up) pins, crankshaft? Hmmmmmm..............naaaahh, I have enough to do as it is.

Just for the record, B-25's sported R-2600 Wright Cyclones, but I should think the wrist pin was roughly the same size as the PW 2800.... still, as you say, the pin would only be around 1mm.......naaahh, nevermind!!

Mike
Old 08-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomarc View Post
Pistons, connecting rods, wrist (or gudgeon, I had to look to look that up) pins, crankshaft? Hmmmmmm..............naaaahh, I have enough to do as it is.

Just for the record, B-25's sported R-2600 Wright Cyclones, but I should think the wrist pin was roughly the same size as the PW 2800.... still, as you say, the pin would only be around 1mm.......naaahh, nevermind!!

Mike
Call yourself a MODEL MAKER... tut tut.. i'd have those pistons and piston rings and gudgeon pin and crankshaft and lifters and valves and and and... i probably would in DREAMLAND - At least try to put some EFFORT in mate ah ah ah :D PS i would probably be pulling my hair out with all the repetition you are having to do... you have plenty of skill and patience to see this baby through to the end... my hats off to you my man !
Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 AM

Well, for me, it goes a lot easier (and faster) when I can concentrate on a single task, like "cut all pieces out" or "roll and glue pieces", etc. Then it becomes assembly line like. Making the first complete cylinder helped me understand the parts, identify problems, and determine the best sequence of assembly. Front loading the assembly line with that knowledge makes the tedious stuff less, well, tedious...almost mindless.

To illustrate my point, here's the 27 basic cylinders (plus the first prototype) finished this morning:

No too bad. I'll cherry pick 14 "good" ones to be in the front row of each engine. Seamed sides will naturally be facing to the rear so won't be seen, so I'm not as concerned with the poor fit on some of the pieces in those areas.

Next is the rocker covers, 54 of 'em.....

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 08-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Those cylinders are a nice day's work (done while Mark and Peter discussed how to make a fully-operational 1/33-scale radial engine in paper). They inspire me to try making the simplified engine of the Peter Zorn Spirit of Saint Louis that I picked up at the Franklin Institute last week -- as the first step toward future (non-operational) paper engines.

I am studying your building philosophy and techniques.

Don
Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 AM

That's great Don! Sounds like that would be a good kit to ease into this complicated engine making business. And I'm gratified if my ramblings have inspired you (or anyone else here) even a little bit. That's the best part of doing a build thread......

If you adopt an assembly line approach to your modeling, it helps if you have the Bugs Bunny "factory music" playing in the background (it's always rolling around in my head as I build. ):

YouTube - Powerhouse

Mike
Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Rolling along on the rocker covers. I created a tool by filing down a 3/16" brass rod to the shape of the body piece. Polished it up so glue wouldn't stick to it:

This I'm using to help keep the side of the rolled part straight while gluing on the top piece, which actually fit's inside the rolled body:

Keeps everything square too. More assembly line work, have about two-thirds done:

Mike
Old 08-09-2009, 02:49 PM

You're doing an incredible job, and I'm learning a lot from this one. Great pictures and techniques.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM

Oh geez...now my productivity will drop BELOW zero.

Must. Watch. This. Thread. <S>

wily

WWII Fighter Plane Profiles
Google Adsense