Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-24-2009, 06:21 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomarc View Post
Ken, I guess you haven't seen this guy in action:

Stressed Skin Effect for Model Aircraft by Klaus Herold

Lots of work to get there, but the effect is pretty neat. And just to be clear, the "oil canning" that resulted in my paper wingtip was purely a happy accident, the result of me working the paper too hard.

Mike
That's remarkable work he showed, but i think if i were to try that, it wouldn't only be the model getting a STRESSED effect {mine certainly wouldn't be an EFFECT }
Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.47 MB
Damn it mike!...... more pics man.... more pics... be humane about it.... what will you do next?

sorry..just getting ahead of myself....
to buy...or not to buy...damn you MAREK....damn you!!....ummm...can you make one more 1:50??
Old 09-24-2009, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Bomarc, this build continues to take my breath away.

Is there a tutorial somewhere on the site for using this rotary-tool method of rolling/forming rounded parts? I am not fond of flower-petal rounded surfaces.

Wyvern
Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
OK, making progress on the left wing. Not done, but progress.

First thing, glued the nacelle to the wing. Ran a fillet of Aleene’s glue around the edges. That should keep it in place:

Next, shaped and painted the radome nose, attached it to the “pod”, and mounted the whole deal on the wing. Painted the nose a color called “Radome Tan” (Orlik's part was white). Seemed like a natural choice, I don’t know:

Also painted the flap openings yellow green too.

Now it’s all about blending the nacelle to the wing. I’ve determined this will be a three phase program. First phase was to run a fillet under the wing. This is the only lapped fillet I can see in pictures of actual Michelle nacelles. I used 65lb paper, and ran a rivet wheel along the edges to help them match the sea of rivets on the wings (don’t know how well they can be seen in these pics):

Eh, not too terribly bad. The tail end of those fillets are a bit of “imagineerging”, as I needed to extend them far enough aft to cover the gaping holes I created when I assembled the nacelles….how many pages ago? I mixed up the grays and blues, and they’re not too bad a match, the fluorescent tube in my desk lamp exaggerates the contrast. Here’s a shot under incandescent light:

Somewhat better. I figure some light pastel work, and a final squirt of clear matt will help bring everything in line (he writes as if he knew for sure….ha ha ha).

Now it’s on to Phase II and III of this process. Just wish I knew what Phase II and III were.

I’ll let you know when I find out……

Mike
Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 PM

And the winner is......(drums rolling)....the Radome.

great Job!
to buy...or not to buy...damn you MAREK....damn you!!....ummm...can you make one more 1:50??
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 PM

Mike, your work is stunning as usual. See...another reason for me getting that rotary tool...future radomes! Can't wait for the rest of your work I saw some images of the Orlik B-25J and I think yours beats it hands down as far as overall appearance goes.

Talk soon
Ron
Old 09-25-2009, 06:19 PM

Yep Ron, there's a 1001 uses for the rotary tool, and some are even non-model related.

Me thinks I figured out phase II for the nacelle blending project. The area where the leading edge of the wings meets the nacelle is a smooth flare, consisting of whole panels, not lapped pieces of sheet metal forming fillets. Found on Hyperscale ( B-25J Mitchell Close Up by Thomas Sime ):

So can it be done in paper? Kinda…sorta….:

It’s a bit of trial and error. The bottom half was worse:

But now I can blend the two dissimilar colors between the wing and nacelle with a color somewhere in between. Also, I tweaked my paint mix for the intermediate blue, so it’s a closer match even under the fluorescent light:

Now to do it to the other side of the nacelle.

Mike
Old 09-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Awesome job on the leading-edge fillet.

Ken
Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 PM

Mike, you photoshop'd that nacelle fillet...I know you did Just kidding
bud! Thats the closest I've seen of what can't be done in paper being done in paper.
This is such an informative thread and I'm learning tons. Thanks again Mike for sharing it with us

Ron
Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 PM

I can't find words...orlik should have you vet future kits..

Feel so much more comfortable with new color blend.

Carry on!
Google Adsense