PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-01-2009, 11:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Mike this is the thread I show people what is possible with paper models. It usually involves 20 minutes of every comment from I can't believe... to no f-ing way! Truly the best work done and posted on any site!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
CDRTD, I get the same comments.

Mike,

Those control knobs look great. I make mine by dipping the sticks into a puddle of Aleens thick glue, then paint.. Is that how you do it? Sorry if you already explained and I missed it...

Ken
Old 12-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
NOT MUCH well you carry on doing NOT MUCH, the quality of the cockpit thus far makes ya wanna climb in, and when there's somewhere to sit you certainly wouldn't wanna climb out
Old 12-02-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
Those control knobs look great. I make mine by dipping the sticks into a puddle of Aleens thick glue, then paint.. Is that how you do it? Sorry if you already explained and I missed it
Hi Ken

You did miss it! But fear not, through the magic of photobucket.com, here's a replay. I too blobbed white glue, but to give the levers an "off set" look (the Mitchell throttle group has a right and left knob for everything), I first glued a stub of card to the end of the lever then blobbed away:

I actually dunked the dried blobs into the paint as well, to help accentuated the smooth knob appearance:

And that's how you do that (another Apollo 13 movie quote).

Mike
Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 AM

Thanks Mike. That's an amazing cockpit - simple as that.

By the way, just in case anyone is interested, this kit was added to Papermodelstore.com on 18 Nov. Grab it while you can!

Ken
Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Failure is probably not an option
Old 12-03-2009, 09:18 PM

True enough Billy, but failure is always lurking in the shadows…..

Attacked the left side of the cockpit these last two nights. Same drill as before, first framed it up then painted the edges:

I used the Orlik switch console, but decided to make my own switch plate:

Here it is painted with some kit parts ready to go. The silver box actually will go on the right side:

Some research revealed that the top of the center pedestal mounts the start panel, with the ignition switches and the like, so a good time as any to fabricate that:

And here’s all of it installed:

Just for kicks, the control column thrown in to see how it all plays:

You can see the “silver box with black knob” on the last shot. Don’t know what it does, but it looks cool, I guess….

I’ve exhausted all the Orlik parts for either side, so it’s going to be some scratched tid-bits from now on to fill in some of those voids, plus some items I’ve discovered that Orlik left out.

Mike
Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDRTED View Post
Mike this is the thread I show people what is possible with paper models. It usually involves 20 minutes of every comment from I can't believe... to no f-ing way! Truly the best work done and posted on any site!
I do too...maybe when bomarc finishes this thread, a permanent photo-only post could be made to show beginning-to-end...?
My blog: www.ww2fighters.blogspot.com
Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote from Wily" ...maybe when bomarc finishes this thread, a permanent photo-only post could be made to show beginning-to-end...?"

That's a great idea!

Ken
Old 12-04-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wily View Post
maybe when bomarc finishes this thread, a permanent photo-only post could be made to show beginning-to-end...?
Fine with me, but that's for someone else to figure out...I only build 'em.

My Photobucket account shows that the album I use for this forum has 668 images in it as of this writing, and I'd say 95% of that is for this build....

Speaking of Photobucket....BONUS PICS!!!!

I was able to cobbled together a couple of more things after my post last night. This is the controllers for the SCR-274 radio set (item "4" in the first pic):

I have new angle when making these little fiddly bits. I don't sever the part from the "stick" until I'm finished with it, then I can just touch up that edge. Much easier (and cleaner). On the other end of the stick I made the radio gear detonator switches (item "3" in the pic above):

Mike