PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
You're going to hate me for asking this.

Are you going to try the green tinted panels?
LOL. I don't know Mark. I think that's a modern day addition and not found on era B-25's. BUT, if someone can verify that "8-Ball" had it, I'd give it a go. I think maybe some future tinted green with food coloring.....?

The other thing I noticed about that particular part of the canopy is that sometimes it has a frame down the middle, sometimes not. This factory fresh B-25H doesn't have it, nor does it look tinted (but who can know for sure with a B/W photo):

Mike
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Mike, I wonder if the left quarter panel is a sunshade for that sight you built and expectedly broke off earlier in your build?

Also, I your earlier link to the Future information included a section for tinted glass and I believe a drop of acrylic paint was suggested... But I also agree that the factory-fresh Mitchell in your pic doesn't look to have tinted glass.

Oh and almost forgot to mention (after having come to all but expect the incredible craftsmanship level here) but your work is amazing. It has become the thread I point friends to when the hobby comes up in discussion. :D
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 PM

Shorpy Pic and more in the same series as well

Looks like you got off easy this time.

A few years back I reworked Fly's UH-1 into my old boss' old gunship. After a fit of experimenting I found that a green highlighter seemed to give a good tint to the upper panels. The trick was to work fast and wet and watch the overlaps.

Last edited by shrike; 01-06-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Making the links link in a linking type fashion
Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
Mike, I wonder if the left quarter panel is a sunshade for that sight you built and expectedly broke off earlier in your build
I think that's a very real possibility. It is only on the pilot's side after all, and the "G" had full dual controls and a copilot station. Works for me. As I think about it more, the 75mm cannon was on that side in those versions too. Maybe it was a flash shield when the cannon was used at night? I bet that thing made a pretty big fire ball when it went off. Just guessing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
Shorpy Pic and more in the same series as well

Looks like you got off easy this time.
And strangely I'm disappointed. I would have liked to try and replicate the tint. Maybe I can pass this model off as a modern day restoration of "8-Ball". The proportions of the kit's "stars and bars" would fit that narrative, being more of what you find on some of today's warbirds and not a period airplane (a real pet peeve of mine). But then I would have to spray the whole thing in gloss-cote. Naaaahhh................

Those pics Alfred Palmer took at NAA's Inglewood plant in 1942 like the one Mark links to above are spectacular. If anybody's interested, the whole series can be seen and high rez copies downloaded at the Library of Congress website, for free no less! Go here:

Prints and Photographs Online Catalog (Prints and Photographs Reading Room, Library of Congress)

Click the blue “Search the Catalog” button to the right and have fun! Try "P-51", "B-25", "Alfred Palmer" and "North American Aviation".

Mike

Last edited by Bomarc; 01-07-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Stinkin' grammar....what's it to ya? Huh? Huh?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 PM

So, had a few nights on detailing the canopy. Given what I crammed into the cockpit, it really was necessity that some addition work would be needed just to keep things consistent.

As mentioned before, the center roof of the cockpit was also an escape hatch. Strips were added to delineate the hatch:

Then a center panel applied, edges touched up:

The hatch flange was next and ribbing was next, those edges touch up:

The release mechanism was a series of linkages with a center pull to the rear. Bent music wire and paper tubes simulate this. I left one "tail" long to have something to hold onto to when I painted the whole thing yellow:

And installed:

Just enough can be seen from above, the yellow adds some color:

I did this once, and hesitate to do it again, but here's a comparison with the real thing (from the Wolf book):

Eh, close enough. If you want to see this mechanism up close and personal, go here:

The Collings Foundation - B25 Cockpit

Scroll up and around. I get dizzy looking at that page.....

Mike
Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 AM

this is to beautiful!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
wow, all this work, and you won't even be able to see it all!!! :( I love your attention to detail, and I know that its something that I would never be able to accomplish!

Incredible!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Close enough? Looks like a damn near perfect replica. Excellent work!
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
You are an evil genius sir. In fact, you're so evil you're awesome!! :D:D
Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Thank you gentlemen. It's getting almost time to button this cockpit up (thankfully!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr199212 View Post
wow, all this work, and you won't even be able to see it all!!!
Who says?

Pretty much everything in the cockpit will be visible. Same with the rear end of the fuselage. You just gotta know where to look....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr199212 View Post
and I know that its something that I would never be able to accomplish!
Again, who says?

You don't have to feel compelled to make every hydraulic coupling on every model you build. Just keep building, and add something "extra" with each build. Something that extends a little beyond your current skill set. I know you're working on the Modelart F6F, and you bought the Halinski F6F (Hellcat fan are we?). Maybe molding your own Hellcat canopy, what do you think? If you keep building, improving, building, improving, eventually you won't think twice about adding hydraulic couplings to your model.

Mike
Getting down off the soapbox now....