PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
If anyone needs an updated copy to the new version shoot me an email and please include a screen shot of part A8 to prove ownership and I will send you a new copy. cgutzmer at gmail period com

Cecil - thanks for the update!
thanks
Chris
Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil.Severs View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I think that you have saved me from some real trouble here. I'll be careful with the B16 part and I can print a thin skin to reverse the A8 part. I'll work on that stuff tomorrow.

Cecil

I might recommend Cecil that you only glue in the colored part of A8. Probably won't be an issue if you glued the whole piece on there, but there are places in the plane where doing something like that could cause problems later.

Incidentally another mod I made to the kit was removing the option of seperate flaps. When I visited Odegaards shop last year I learned that #74 had the flaps bolted up and all the hydraulics (for the flaps) removed and gaps faired over and the hinges removed. So I thought I ought to do the same on the kit.

I would not have done that except for the fact that I started to build it myself and discovered to my horror that there was a big problem with the paint job. The white stripe running most of the length of the fuselage didn't line up at all.

I do all the preliminary painting in Rhino then finish in Corel. I had the correct placement of that stripe in Rhino but for some reason I never transferred that part into Corel. That was a change that necessitated sending an upgrade to Mike (Gremir was the only distributor at the time) and he was going to send a new copy of the kit to all who had purchased it. So being unable to resist the temptation to tweak things a little I changed the gear bay color to match what Mr. Odegaard had and got rid of the flaps at the same time I sent in the fix.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Will

Will do on the A8 piece.

Cecil
Old 08-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Made some additional progress. Got the cockpit tub in place, the forward sidewalls installed, the instrument panel glued to the appropriate slots in the bottom of the cockpit tub, and installed the rudder pedals.

I've left the sidewalls as open as possible to facilitate placing all of the small bits that make up a cockpit interior. I' pretty certain that the placement of these parts will not cause problems later on but only time will tell.

Sorry for the fuzzy view of the instument panel. I'll get a better shot later after I do a few more cockpit bits.

Cecil
Attached Thumbnails
F2G-1 Super Corsair-ds74.jpg   F2G-1 Super Corsair-ds75.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Big problem in the making

You're going to have to back up a bit Cecil. There should be 1/32 in. of the tabs on B1 showing where the colored portion of B16 glues on to them, in other words enough space for the instrument panel former to fit between them. This is what I was trying to explain earlier. First glue the sides of B1 to the instrument panel, making sure the colored part stops right at the aft side of the instrument panel. Then glue the colored part of B16 to the tabs on B1. It's hard to beleive but that 1/100 of an inch (the thickness of a piece of cardstock) difference around that former will cause you serious problems when you go to wrap D4 around the tub.

Maybe Dan can weigh in on this. He had this problem with his build. The pic in post #11 shows the problem. See how B16 is glued mostly to the intrument panel and there is a gap near the floor where he has it attached to A3? The way you currently have yours built you will have to pull the edges of A3 back to B16 and as I said this will cause problems later. Making sense?

Google Adsense
Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Ah-Hah! This is the post I've been looking for! Somehow I missed it the first time around. Yes I see the gap though I must say that Dan's work is much cleaner than mine. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem, Snip-Snip..., re-ajust and re-glue. Dan's cockpit also shows where I've commited another perhaps even more egregious error. I'll correct that one also. Looks like tonight will be a fixit session.

Oh well.....

Cecil
Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 AM

Reading over my last post I just want to clarify, glue the forward edge of B16 to A3(Dan had it right at the top he just needed to not have the gap at the bottom). B16 should only butt up against the forward side of the instrument panel. You will have to push B16 against the tabs on B1 from the inside which is kind of a pain in the butt.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil.Severs View Post
Ah-Hah! This is the post I've been looking for! Somehow I missed it the first time around. Yes I see the gap though I must say that Dan's work is much cleaner than mine. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem, Snip-Snip..., re-ajust and re-glue. Dan's cockpit also shows where I've commited another perhaps even more egregious error. I'll correct that one also. Looks like tonight will be a fixit session.

Oh well.....

Cecil
Hopefully you aren't flipping the stick around to match mine - I had it backwards and had it in place before I realized it...
Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Cecil, isn't that the way, one step forwards two steps back, although in the end it its all worth it:D
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM

Dan, Thanks for the tip on the rudder stick. Although I do like the way yours looks.....

Glen, Thanks for the encouragement. You're quite right this is the way most of my building goes.

Cecil
Google Adsense