PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-01-2020, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 180.54 MB
Orlik 1:33 Martin Baker MB.5

I always liked this airplane. Unlikely a quality injected kit will be released of a "one of" aircraft . So when I saw it available as a paper card kit with available laser cut formers and a vac formed clear canopy, I jumped on it. It arrived yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased.

Only problem being there are two pages of construction notes and a fair bit of text printed on the instructions....in Polish.

I have heard mention made of online translation programs, past that I am clueless. The Polish text is printed on paper. I can scan it on my cheapie printer/scanner/fax and end up with a .jpg file.

Can anyone suggest how I might turn that Polish text into English text That might provide a needed clue or two?

Does ORLIK make translations available?

Thx
sp
Google Adsense
Old 10-01-2020, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I have built multiple Orlik aircraft published in similar years. From both mine and my friends' experience the fit will be far from excellent. The wing formers are often too large and the wing root fillets will frequently underfit. It will be a beautiful plane if done right, and I am very much looking forward to your build.

Most cardmodels will come together without the need for detailed textual instructions, even if you don't find one, it wouldn't affect the build that much.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Super cool, SP! I too like the MB.5 and it will be a fun build...even if it is a challenge fit-wise. I agree with Lex about the instructions. The biggest thing is to keep track of how many asterisks there are since that will let you know how thick things need to be. Ask for help here and I'm sure you'll get through. Also, based on Lex's thoughts, definitely scan this sucker just in case! You'll likely flex some of your older modeling muscles on it but it will be worth it in the end.

Can't wait...Dan
Old 10-01-2020, 11:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
That's an interesting subject and I don't know anything about it, however Rafal
Ciesielski is a very fine designer, I'm sure you've seen this link
WWW.KONRADUS.COM - FORUM MODELARZY KARTONOWYCH - [Z] Martin Baker MB 5 ORLIK
Old 10-02-2020, 02:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
Hi SP. With the instructions, if you scan them, then search online for an "image to document converter" - there are several out there. These convert your .jpg into readable text, which you can then copy and paste into an online translator. Some of them will actually do the translation as part of the conversion. The results can be a bit clunky but are better than nothing.
Google Adsense
Old 10-02-2020, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.20 GB
There's also this:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=2839
Old 10-02-2020, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
looking forward to this one nice subject
Old 10-02-2020, 11:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
If I read your post history correctly, this endeavor will comprise your third card model and a more complex subject than your previous efforts. Before you cut anything, I highly recommend scanning the entire model. Before scanning, take a ruler and put measurement guides on each page. Use the ruler to draw long lines at the edge of each page, one vertical, one horizontal, and make hash marks by inch or centimeter as you prefer. If things go south, you can reprint the page and use the measurement guides to confirm you printed at the exact same scale as the original. You can also use this technique as the starting point to rescale or recolor problem parts.

As recommended above, you can use Optical Character Reading (OCR) software to convert an image to a text document. Scan the page of text, then feed it to a free online OCR converter. Please note, I have not used the linked website but it looked okay to me. If a website like that ever asks you to install something, always say, "HELL NO!", and find another.

For converting Polish to English text I use translate.com. Please note, I always use Addware and Script Blockers to prevent general internet obnoxiousness. Copy the Polish text and paste it into the first box. The webpage will detect the copy and convert it automatically.

If you want to get some practice before attempting the MB-5, the downloads section of this site contains some very nice free models. If you enjoy World War II era aircraft, this Spitfire may suit your tastes.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2020, 02:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Looking forward to the build.
Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:17 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
When translating a PDF a simple method that SOMETIMES WORKS (depending on the PDF conversion) is to just hover over the PDF and your mouse cursor may change to an "I".

Then highlight the text, copy and paste into Google Translate.

I look forward to the build - also a favourite plane of mine!