PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-20-2021, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Thanks for the kind comments, I will be looking at the drawings again shortly to see whether I can make them comprehensible to a wider audience; probably I can cover it by a post reviewing problems encountered and recommended solutions i.e. use 80 gsm paper for curved wing fairings, not 160 gsm card etc.

Wouldn't think it's a very commercial prospect as a kit, since aircraft from the pre 1950 - 60 era seem in short supply on the various card modelling forums; they usually feature as vac form kits, generally out of production and at smaller scales.

At the moment, the next model is either the Latecoere 631 (lots more drawing though) or the new GPM kit of SMS Gneisenau; the choice may well depend on which would take up less space when completed - although heart may rule head again, the Latecoere is so lovely and so romantically unsuccessful and long gone that it may win out!

I'll think about it though, thanks for the suggestion!

Best wishes

Chris
Old 01-20-2021, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A Latecoere 631 would be something to see!

Here's hoping your mind bends in that direction.

Don
Old 01-21-2021, 10:04 AM

I do keep thinking about it, Don - will sense prevail and our home remain unencumbered by yet another over large model flying machine?? Or will foolish sentiment override domestic considerations of just where would I put the damn thing! It would be quite enormous at 1/100 scale and I already have the Brabazon and the Saunders Roe Princess at the same scale, plus the Victor and TSR 2 at 1/50 ? Time will tell!

Meanwhile, and as promised, pdfs attached of the drawings for the Arend; not too much to say about how to build really in such expert company as this forum offers. Designed around the use of 160 gsm card and A4 sheets (the pdfs are on A3 because that's the way to do it apparently) but I recommend 80 gsm paper for wing fairings. There's an enlarged part section of the engine cowling radiussed front edge on the nacelle sheet to show how the edges are layered up in card and then carefully sandpapered/carved away to shape; after coating with pva, paint with watercolour or gouache. Wheels are likewise layered up and suitably rounded off; main wheel hub caps are carefully dished before fixing.

If wanted, the prints can be scaled to suit but remember to adjust formers etc. for a differing card thickness; a stack of 1000 sheets of 160 gsm card is 18mm in thickness, so I allowed 0.18mm for all components, including double thickness at the joining strips.

After building the fuselage frame (paper parts spraymounted onto cereal box cardboard) start at the centre under the wings and work back and forward from there; I rolled and stuck each section and then added the joining strips before sliding onto the frame and the successive diminishing cones went on well - apply glue inside the rear edge of the cone to fixed. There is an additional longitudinal strip to be applied centrally along the inside of the centre part to line through with the thickness of the joiner strip strips of the adjacent components.

The completed wing frame was glued (UHU) onto the inside of the lower face of the pre-formed wing component at the correct distance from the trailing edge and the rest of the panel then rolled over it and sealed at the trailing edge (pva). I always find it so easy to build in a warp at this point so constant adjustment is needed before it all dries hard.

Engine nacelles were not completely satisfactory; I'm pretty sure I got the correct shapes but perhaps the wing panels weren't tight enough to the frame, as a good deal of trimming was needed on the outer nacelles in particular.

That's about it; if anyone tries this and needs any further help, post a query and I'll answer.

Best wishes to all

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 1.pdf (1.98 MB, 97 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 2.pdf (1.32 MB, 79 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 3.pdf (470.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 4.pdf (605.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 5.pdf (331.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 6.pdf (738.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 7.pdf (333.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 8.pdf (987.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Thank you very much Chris, I took the opportunity to download the sheets and will certainly build this model in the near future. It's great to see a rather unknown part of Dutch aviation history being available as a model.

Regards,
Erik
Old 01-21-2021, 12:43 PM

Thank you, Chris.

It is exceptionally generous of you to make this beautiful model available to all who would like to build it.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2021, 01:07 PM

My pleasure Don, good to know that my work will be useful to others and I very much look forward Erik, to seeing your future progress.

Best wishes

Chris
Old 01-21-2021, 02:05 PM

I very much look forward to seeing Erik's model. He is another highly skilled model builder.

Don
Old 01-21-2021, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Thanks, good model.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Muchisimas gracias por el regalo / Thank you so much for this nice gift!
We appreciate it!
Old 01-22-2021, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Thank you for this valuable work. I immediately came to think about the Swedish four-engined Fokker I've seen pictures of. Looking it up, it turns out it was a Fokker F22, which was a smaller version of the F36.

No doubt, it would be possible to use your fine model and repaint it into ABA colours. Extremely valuable that you publish it for free access, and most generous. Thank you!

And the F36 surely was a real beauty!

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-fokker_f22_aba_3.jpg   Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-fokker-f36.jpg