PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-08-2020, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale

After my Fokker F 32 here’s another good looking airliner from the “golden age”! And again, no kit so I ‘ve had to draw one up myself, using Draftsight 2d cad software; it’s taken a little over 6 months to get to the stage of cutting out and assembling and its present state is shown on the photos.

Named “Arend” (Eagle), only one example was built out of a projected six initially ordered by KLM because better things overtook its development in the form of the Douglas DC 2; all metal construction superseded the fabric/tubular frame fuselage and plywood wing of the Fokker, and KLM changed their policy. “Arend”lasted until 1940 when it crashed on a training flight in RAF service in Scotland.

The “Fokker Fours” by Rob Mulder has again been invaluable in the development of the drawings; unlike the boxy F 32, this machine is all curves and greatly complicated by having the outlines of the longitudinal stringers of the metal frame supporting the fabric covered fuselage plainly visible and therefore having to be drawn.

It has been absorbing trying to work out the 3D shape and design of the aircraft and how the various cross sections needed to alter in the length of the body to give a smooth flow from end to end; much adjustment needed at all stages and then trying to develop the components in 2d - I’ve had fun (mostly!)

Next stage wing covering, will post further as time goes on and possibly publish the drawn parts on the website if there’s enough interest.

Best wishes to all (sorry about the inverted photos, haven’t a clue as to how to remedy, they looked fine on the camera).

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-99a442ae-4c61-4d53-bf0a-d4b270431c30.jpg   Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-baa3ab3e-0bc6-4d6a-92ed-d128d3a2e836.jpg   Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-39bfefcd-126e-491a-81cf-839de57bd50a.jpg   Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-860b0abd-e434-42b0-a8d5-ff3a13b4e41d.jpg   Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-fee764cc-fe1d-4a57-ac1a-1dffc6b69c35.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2020, 02:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
That is a fantastic model. It looks really life like. Can you explain some more on how you use this 2d drafting programme? I would be very nterested to use it and build models like this one, and the F-XXII or the F-XX
Old 12-09-2020, 04:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Amazing, I reaaly interested. Golden age is one of my favorite subjects.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Fokker passenger planes are almost forgotten part of aviation.I'm hoping to see Fokker FVII in single and tri engine versions.Maly did one in 1:50 long time ago and it was not particularly great model (I tried it).
Old 12-09-2020, 08:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Looks like a beautiful Art Deco aircraft - I never knew of this one before. Thanks for bringing it to 3D.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:30 AM

Glad you like it! However, backwards progress today - this morning’s decision is to strip the wing covering I did yesterday because both leading and trailing edges are rubbish; sharp edge to the former, sinking between ribs on the latter, so redesign frame a bit and improve rolling/forming technique.

The 2d/3d process in brief is to stretch surfaces like wings so that the dimensions drawn in 2d plan and elevation become true lengths as measured on section (this affects the wing chord more than the span, plus always start from a fixed line such as the main spar position and measure back and forwards from this); for the fuselage, divide the length up into cones in such a way that you get as close to the curved profile as possible. Each cone section is then developed by standard techniques readily available online, except, and it’s a big except, that most fuselages aren’t true cones i.e. the shape at one end often has a different centreline to the one at the other and may/will not be a true circle!

In this case, you project the top and bottom lines of the fuselage shape to give an asymmetrical cone and use the perpendicular from the apex of this cone as the centre line for developing the boundary profiles of each end of the cone using the oblique cone development process, again readily available online.

As is so usual with the internet, there aren’t any instructions for dealing with this really basic problem and I have to say it took a great deal of trial and error to find out even this much but I’m reasonably confident that I’m right as the fuselage has worked pretty well.

All the best

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-50fa13b2-68be-4c42-89b6-9566aabf0902.jpg  
Old 12-11-2020, 03:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Interesting project of a mostly forgotten airplane! Fokker clinged on to the principle of wood-metal-fabric design too long, which was overtaken in the early thirties by the development of more reliable metal planes, like the DC2 and DC3. Besides that, there was great animosity between Anthony Fokker and Albert Plesman, at the time the "CEO" of KLM. Plesman was a man with foresight and no longer wanted to order Fokker airplanes, but Douglas instead, which also contributed to the decline of Fokker.

It is interesting to note that the FXXXVI (they liked to use Roman numerals in those days) refers to 36 passengers and crew (32 plus 4) and that the wing surface was such big that it even exceeds the wing surface of the largest Fokker airplane still being in service, the F100: 172m2 versus 93m2....

Butelczynski: There is a Fokker FVII tri-motor available from Orlik, scale 1:50. Unfortunately not in KLM livery but the model looks very detailed and precise. I still have it on my stack.

Regards,
Erik
Old 12-11-2020, 04:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Thanks Erik.I didn't know Orlik did that model.It's in 1:33 not 1:50.I'll try to get in touch with maker.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
It's in 1:33 not 1:50.I'll try to get in touch with maker.
Yes, you are correct, it's indeed 1:33! Slip of the pen. I bought my copy via - Zeist Bouwplaten - Import, verkoop, ontwerp en productie van papieren schaalmodellen, maquettes en bouwplaten (cardmodels), Modelbouw, Rietveld cutoutmodels. Nice model, with quite a bit of interior detail.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 12-15-2020, 06:58 AM

Progress! Wings now on and upper body and upper wing fairings added; lower wing fairings next, difficult as fillet shape wraps around wing leading edge.

Always forget how to roll wing leading edges without creasing, so several attempts necessary. Use damp cloth to pass over entire area of wing component underside, after marking out centre line of leading edge radius, also on underside; cloth should be squeezed out, not dripping wet and only enough passes made that the card is slightly damp.

Roll main radius i.e. top and bottom of wings from inside using a 13mm dia. plastic tube or dowel, must be rigid though and not bend under pressure - gently and then across tips to try and get some curvature at right angles to span. Do this on a fairly squashy surface, a sofa or chair seat pad.

Then damp again along leading edge line inside and use approx. 2mm dia. rigid rod to roll again on this line; where you get such a rod from is debatable, for some reason I had a piece of stainless steel rod in the garage lying around. Again, you need a rod which doesn’t bend along its length.

Glue frame to underside of wing, using a reference line previously marked - I found that I had to carefully calculate where the trailing edge of the frame should be to avoid the rib tips from showing on the visible surface. Use UHU for this as pva will cause buckling. Use pva to seal wing trailing edges and tips after rolling upper wing surface over frame, again using UHU for frame to wing panel attachment.

This note will remind me next time I build a wing!

All the best

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-ed71fea9-3493-40a1-aee8-2661a7afba25.jpg   Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-4b941437-28fc-44e6-9e5a-0e2dda00b2a1.jpg   Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-0707cd9e-56d5-4954-a3a1-74ad244ab285.jpg  
Google Adsense