PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-26-2020, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Hi , In my opinion rudders, flaps are elements that need a lot of precise work, and are one of the most challenging parts while building airplanes. From my point of view yours look good, but there are two things I would try to improve. Bottom and top parts of the rudder could be better shaped. Top part you can easily see is sinking in ,and paper at bottom part of the ruder broke. Another thing I would trace with the ball head tool the printed horizontal lines to give them 3d effect. To shape the sections of parts like this I use double-metal head tools as well. Good luck with the rest of the build you are doing great.

Sending pictures for reference:
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-byt782.jpg

Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-qgt791.jpg

Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-tdl230.jpg
Old 12-26-2020, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Hi Olo...

Again, I AM NOT WORTHY! That is amazing. I know what you mean by the top part being pushed in. I think I thought the underlying rib would help but I needed to pre-form the paper shell better (if you know what I mean). Well, on the bright side, I need to do this again with the stab and elevators as well as ailerons and flaps (as you intimated) so, stay tuned!

Thanks for the explanations and the lovely pics,
Dan

P.S. What kind of glue do you use? I'm using a PVA white glue that I think dries fine but a bit too fast so I tend to get things stuck where they aren't supposed to once I've committed to glue.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdr View Post
Hi Olo...

Again, I AM NOT WORTHY! That is amazing. I know what you mean by the top part being pushed in. I think I thought the underlying rib would help but I needed to pre-form the paper shell better (if you know what I mean). Well, on the bright side, I need to do this again with the stab and elevators as well as ailerons and flaps (as you intimated) so, stay tuned!

Thanks for the explanations and the lovely pics,
Dan

P.S. What kind of glue do you use? I'm using a PVA white glue that I think dries fine but a bit too fast so I tend to get things stuck where they aren't supposed to once I've committed to glue.
Hi I use few glues.... CA, Budapren, Ticky white glue, BCG clear glue. I know what you mean by pre-forming parts for this kind of purposes I use double ball head tool it works pretty good. Good luck and have fun, I am learning with you
Old 12-26-2020, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Tacky glue, the original version, is quite good and easy to find. Said a former glue snob.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
It looks to me that you are having fun building this model, I can relate, I was amazed at my first Halinsky what fun to build a model designed with such accuracy .....
Old 12-26-2020, 10:21 PM

Thanks, Everybody...and Glen...you are so right. My wife was evil and got me an Me-110 from Halinski. What a woman!!!

Here is some stabilizer action. I think they are better than the fin/rudder especially the tips with less cave-ins. The rudder is just sitting there for show. I'll work on the fillets and elevators tomorrow!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6181.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6182.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6183.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6184.jpg  
Old 12-28-2020, 11:47 PM

Tails are all done. I put in a smidge of left rudder to coincide with my rudder pedals. I'm pleased with the fillets too. Although STILL not completely Polish (which is my adjective for gobsmackingly created paper models like those seen on the Halinski Gallery Page), it's at least East of Tacoma Washington...maybe about Moses Lake or maybe even as far as Missoula MT. Still far away from Eastern Europe but on track.

I shall work on finishing the nose with the exhausts and nose gun shrouds and then try to figure out how the area behind the chin is made along with thinking about wing construction.

Cheers,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6186.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6187.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6188.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6189.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6190.jpg  

Old 12-29-2020, 05:49 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Those tail feathers turned out great!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 12-29-2020, 07:25 AM

looking better and better
Old 12-29-2020, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
well thats a cracking build sir well done