PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-11-2023, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
It does, as Don states, have voracity in that scheme so why not?

The missing twin from specification G.4/31 would also be nice to see, the type 253.

Vickers Type 253 - Wikipedia
Attached Thumbnails
Vickers Wellesley by Murph's Models-vickers-type-253-specification-g.4-31.jpg  
Old 09-11-2023, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
70 Squadron Wellington in Desert Scheme

Karol - This image of a Wellington at Tobruk (1941?) appears to be in desert scheme.

Source: Vickers Wellington | Page 3 | Aircraft of World War II - WW2Aircraft.net Forums

Caption: DVD WW2 PHOTO ALBUM RAF 70 SQUADRON WELLINGTON BOMBER TOBRUK LUFTWAFFE WRECKS | eBay

This is off the topic of the Vickers Wellesley, but you asked the question about desert scheme Wellingtons. Let me know if you would rather I not post Wellington/desert scheme info here.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Vickers Wellesley by Murph's Models-vickers_wellington_70_squadron_tobruk.jpg  
Old 09-11-2023, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Wellesley and Wellington are like father and son imho -feel free to post.

Thank you for that info Don. Some time ago I was looking into this subject because of book I found on garage sale-it was "In For a Penny, In For a Pound" by Howard Hewer.

Large section of it covers his time in N.Africa flying in crew of a Wellington. In entire book not once there was any mention of desert camo on them but he did mentioned that fabric on them did get "bleached" fast in desert sun and sand in wind didn't help either. It sandblasted entire plane including all windshields . Interesting book I highly recommend.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:35 PM

Sounds like a good book, Karol. I have made a note.

And if I learn more on this subject, I will share.

Don
Old 09-19-2023, 02:44 PM

Karol -

I raised the question of Middle East/North Africa/East Africa Wellington colors in the WW2Aircraft forum and received this most interesting reply. It doesn't help much in your search for a desert color scheme for a Wellington model, but it does provide first hand evidence that some Wellingtons flew in North Africa as late as 1942 in the green/brown/black color scheme (and it gives us an authentic voice from the past):

QUOTE Hi Don
You ask an interesting question ...
I might be able to assist a bit
Dad flew Whimpies in North Africa out of Blida with 142 Squadron - code QT - (part of 205 Group)
As best I recall he was posted to the Squadron in 1942
Their area of ops was over Europe ) Italy, Romania, Austria and southern Germany
They flew exclusively at night
I have dad's log book confirming all of the above
Dad did 2 models of his favourite Wellington - both were painted by him in Dark Earth and Green with Black/ Night ( a shade of black) sides and under-sides and standard RAF dark red squadron codes and serial numbers
Doing the best can it would appear that the camouflage applied ( desert or European ) depended on the particular squadron's principal area of operations.
You can establish where a particular sqadron flew by reference to published squadron histories
The pictures I have of 142 squadron aircraft are (sadly) only B+W They depict very worn and faded camouflage and tired looking airframes and men - That makes sense ... they flew off compacted dirt 'strips in really harsh conditions
Hope that helps
Regards
David UNQUOTE
RAF Vickers Wellingtons in Desert Scheme | Aircraft of World War II - WW2Aircraft.net Forums

Don
Google Adsense
Old 09-19-2023, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Hi Don, the same question about the camo for Gladiators, Gauntlets, and Lysanders.
Very interesting info.
Thank you!
Old 09-20-2023, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireandpaper View Post
Hi Don, the same question about the camo for Gladiators, Gauntlets, and Lysanders.
Very interesting info.
Thank you!
I think there's a common denominator here - most of the aircraft that seem to have been left in their original paint are aircraft that most likely would have been fabric covered. They might have wanted to wait to repaint the fabric until it was time to replace it with new cotton... sanding a fabric paint scheme isn't the same as stripping a metal surface and repainting.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:29 PM

Pablo - I have seen images of all three of those aircraft types in desert camouflage. Bowyer (Fighting Colours: RAF Fighter Camouflage and markings 1937-1969 [London: Patrick Stephens, 1969]) says that the desert scheme was introduced for fighters in August 1941, and that prior to that, Gladiators and Gauntlets were in natural aluminum/aluminium, green/brown, or in the case of the Sea Gladiators defending Malta, the FAA scheme of sea ad slate grey in varying shades.

Ryan - I had always assumed that the new colors were simply sprayed over the old colors and had not considered that removal of old paint/dope/enamel was a factor. You now a lot more about this than I do.

Incidentally, here is a new post in WW2Aircraft Forum on the topic: QUOTE As David will no doubt be able to confirm from his Dad’s log book, 142 squadron flew with Bomber Command in Britain until flying out to Blida in Algeria in mid-Dec 1942 following Operation Torch. Blida is about 30 miles south west of Algiers in a fertile coastal plain area with plenty of vegetation. After the surrender of Axis forces in North Africa in May 1943, it moved forward to bases in Tunisia where it remained until moving to southern Italy in Dec 1943 eventually settling at Regine in July 1944. It disbanded there on 5 Oct 1944.On 25 Oct 1944 it was reformed back in Britain on Mosquitos.

So Dark Green / Dark Earth upper surfaces would make far more sense to this squadron in the relevant timeframe than one whose aircraft would be spending their time on the ground on airfields in the dusty, desert like conditions of the Canal Zone in Egypt, where the Wellington squadrons in the Middle East were mostly based 1940-43. UNQUOTE
RAF Vickers Wellingtons in Desert Scheme | Aircraft of World War II - WW2Aircraft.net Forums

Don
Old 09-21-2023, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Another thing to keep in mind was that unlike fighters ,Lysanders and Blenheims Wellingtons were meant and usually used as night bombers. Repainting them from factory camo would be waste of manpower and resources -both in short supply in N. African theatre.

Wellesleys were a bit different story. They operated in Horn of Africa during daytime simply because there were hardly any other bombers available and Italian fighter presence was manageable to extend.

This is great discussion Don.