PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-17-2020, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Cool Consolidated P2Y2 Ranger in 1/100 scale. Scratchbuilding

Well friends I am now very excited by the scratchbuilding project that Draco demonstrated here with you marvelous Stranrer, reactivating a project that has already had three construction attempts but that always stops due to some technical difficulty of some kind. The results did not leave me satisfied and I decided to resume. I believe that now on the fourth attempt at construction I will have better luck.

I want to point out that when the project is finalized, I will make the main parts available in the download area, but I already warn you that they are not intended to be a mountable "kit", they require a great deal of improvisation and some details like the cowlings and engines are missing.

Unlike Draco, I didn't design the model from scratch, I took a shortcut using the UMC tool which is available for download here on the Forum.

For those who do not know this tool writen by a Plastic Bonsai is a converter of various 3D formats, it is possible to transform multiple meshes used in games like Flight Simulator and Wings over Europe in a useful format that can be edited and processed in Papermodels. With Flight Simulator, the work is more complicated because not all models that can be converted, in addition to many multiresolution are a lot of work to clean because there are literally three or four models within each other. But with the games of Thirware Productions is simpler, because in general the games of these company use three models ranging from simple to complex.

In the past I use an add-on pra the game Wings Over Europe, the Soviet Fighter Yakovlev Yak-25, the model was transformed directly to the MQO format by UMC. I simplified and edited in Metasequoia and subsequently deployed in Pepakura 3.

You see the thread here:

My experiments with UMC Tool in 1/100

About this introduction is time to talk about this subject:

1930's US Navy Consolidated P2Y2 Ranger flying boat, the "father" of Catalina. The model are based in a FS98 model, but is high modify to made a papermodel. From original meshe only wings and fuselage are used. I use the Inkscape again to made a vector drawn and coloring. The tail, engines, propellers, floats, struts, beach gear or trolley (I not decide) I designed or made a kitbashing for another models (is very funny made a search in another models for details or aspect are useful in subject) or make a full scratch.

I the pics the initial process of conversion and design. I not have qualification to use 3D software

In the next post the start of physical model...
Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2020, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
looking forward to seeing more of this coming together
Old 12-17-2020, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A wonderful project! Great Golden Age of Aviation airplane. Outstanding model builder at work. I am excited to watch this.

Don
Old 12-17-2020, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Well! It seems that we have the "hidro fever"! Your P2Y2, My Stranraer and Yankeekilo's Martin m-130!
Maybe in a few days I'll download the UMC, it would help me with the SM-64 Navaho
Good luck and keep going with your model!
Old 12-17-2020, 12:18 PM

Smile

First step: Internal hull structure:

Using some techniques from the time when I was a plastic model, I decided to build an internal reinforcement of cardboard paper from 3 mm to 5 mm. In Brazil this paper is known as Paraná and is bought in Bookstores / Stationery in A2 sheets that obviously need to be cut because of the size. Despite being a very rigid paper, it is easy to cut. I used Paul Matt's excellent plants in scale to make these structuring pieces, he has the P2Y plants in his Volume 1 of plants, if I'm not mistaken.

Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2020, 12:24 PM

Smile

Many thanks my friends! I hope I make a good conclusion of this project.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:30 PM

Smile

Continuing with the construction of the fuselage, I used a method of my plastic model time, I opted to laminate thick pieces with 5 mm double cardboard which were later sanded with a small low speed electric sander (not Dremel). Subsequently the coating was glued with Uhu glue carefully...

Old 12-17-2020, 12:37 PM

Smile

I worked later on the keel which, as in Catalina, has a step for takeoff, some adjustments were necessary, later the keel will be painted with black acrylic paint.

With the fuselage made, I glued the canopy, only missing details to be able to pass to the wings and tail.

More advances soon!
Old 12-17-2020, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Hi Gomidefilho, I am also interested in scratch building and I tried to download the tool you used, the UMC tool. But when I got ther, I got the following message:

scon10, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Did I do somthing wrong? In my previous threads on scratch building I used simple methods, but I am interested to use more sophisticated methods. Can anybody please help? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
This is fantastic!
Google Adsense