PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-28-2021, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good progress Erik.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Few more pictures

Thank you Isaac, Peter, Maxe, Tom and David!

Tom, the belt buckles are actually light grey, but the edge coloring with light grey make them look a bit darker. Perhaps I should have painted them in flat aluminium - thanks for your remark, I'll take note of it for a next build.

Forgot to include a few pictures of the closed cockpit, without the external skins yet. Well, here are the missing pictures.

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5005.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5006.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5007.jpg  
Old 03-29-2021, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Erik ,

a wonderfull report in first class quality !!!!

Kind regards , Kurt
Old 03-29-2021, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Jump in and take her for a spin! Looks really nice, Erik...Dan
Old 04-01-2021, 04:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Outside cockpit skins

Hi Kurt and Dan, thanks for your kind words!

The outside cockpit skins are now in place as well. A bit of a tricky job I must say as the skins have to align very precisely at the bottom to ensure proper mating of the forward and aft fuselage segments.

I started with the front one, which has clear reference lines at the lower frontside to glue along. I was somewhat surprised to see the remaining gap at at the bottom side, I had expected both ends to mate, which would be the best reference point to see if everything is exactly aligned.

The aft one, with the glazing behind the pilot's seat, didn't give any problems with respect to aligning the "Z" and panel lines. I punctured a hole at the location where the antenna mast has to be placed and made sure that the hole is right at the location where I glued the small tube before, to provide stability to the mast when inserted at a later stage.
However, whatever I tried during dry-fitting of the bottom ends, a narrow gap between the black and white underside remained and I didn't dare to put more pressure on the structure, being afraid that it would buckle. Either the outside skin is too narrow or the inside skin too wide, as I'm pretty much convinced the error is not on my side! Anyway, on the pictures the gap looks dramatic but in reality it's not more than 0.5mm wide at maximun.

Unfortunately this results in a too tight fit at the bottom side of the first fuselage section aft of the cockpit area, but nothing that can't be restored at some point later in the build, after the wings have been attached to the fuselage. The panel lines at the camouflaged sides and top align perfectly. Besides, after two train test-builds I've become pretty experienced in restoration works .

Pictures have an orange shade to them, they were taken late at night under artificial light. That's the drawback of a model like this: It's extremely addictive and I've decided not to go against it. Luckily my management understands and accepts the fact . She knows by now, after almost 24 years of marriage.

I have deliberately used glue on the entire surface areas, which after drying of the skins resulted in a surprisingly strong assembly. What started as a fragile construction has in the end turned out to be quite strong. Nice!

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5009.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5010.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5011.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5013.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5014.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5015.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5016.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5018.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-01-2021, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Hi Kurt and Dan, thanks for your kind words!

The outside cockpit skins are now in place as well. A bit of a tricky job I must say as the skins have to align very precisely at the bottom to ensure proper mating of the forward and aft fuselage segments.

I started with the front one, which has clear reference lines at the lower frontside to glue along. I was somewhat surprised to see the remaining gap at at the bottom side, I had expected both ends to mate, which would be the best reference point to see if everything is exactly aligned.

The aft one, with the glazing behind the pilot's seat, didn't give any problems with respect to aligning the "Z" and panel lines. I punctured a hole at the location where the antenna mast has to be placed and made sure that the hole is right at the location where I glued the small tube before, to provide stability to the mast when inserted at a later stage.
However, whatever I tried during dry-fitting of the bottom ends, a narrow gap between the black and white underside remained and I didn't dare to put more pressure on the structure, being afraid that it would buckle. Either the outside skin is too narrow or the inside skin too wide, as I'm pretty much convinced the error is not on my side! Anyway, on the pictures the gap looks dramatic but in reality it's not more than 0.5mm wide at maximun.

Unfortunately this results in a too tight fit at the bottom side of the first fuselage section aft of the cockpit area, but nothing that can't be restored at some point later in the build, after the wings have been attached to the fuselage. The panel lines at the camouflaged sides and top align perfectly. Besides, after two train test-builds I've become pretty experienced in restoration works .

Pictures have an orange shade to them, they were taken late at night under artificial light. That's the drawback of a model like this: It's extremely addictive and I've decided not to go against it. Luckily my management understands and accepts the fact . She knows by now, after almost 24 years of marriage.

I have deliberately used glue on the entire surface areas, which after drying of the skins resulted in a surprisingly strong assembly. What started as a fragile construction has in the end turned out to be quite strong. Nice!

Regards,
Erik
Looking good.... what glue did you use for the skins?
Old 04-01-2021, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Erik

That is a significant gap at the bottom. Did anyone else experience this on their build of this model?

How will you repair this? maybe print another segment on thin paper and apply it on top of the short pieces so as to mate them better.
I would think that Halinski would have caught this error in the design and Beta phase.

I had similar situation with the early Hobby Model kits. However, that was before computers and I am sure manual errors occurred at those days.

Isaac
Old 04-01-2021, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
looking good despite the gap that maybe just a bit too much glue 2 microns in sted of 1 micron which is shown up on the close tolerances.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Erik

That is a significant gap at the bottom. Did anyone else experience this on their build of this model?

How will you repair this? maybe print another segment on thin paper and apply it on top of the short pieces so as to mate them better.
I would think that Halinski would have caught this error in the design and Beta phase.

I had similar situation with the early Hobby Model kits. However, that was before computers and I am sure manual errors occurred at those days.

Isaac
Isaac humidity issue ? Too much glue ?? paint ? it happens if your humidity changes during the build this is why I always protect my papers with capon varnish that blocks paper from changing dimensions....
Old 04-01-2021, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Hello I think it is not a mistake by Halinski, rather it is an oversight. The gray and white areas correspond exactly to the next missing space. There should be a few pieces (or have the fuselage extended down with those colorful areas). But it can be solved very easily, printing that enlarged area and cutting out the necessary pieces on thinner paper and fitting them together by gluing them right on the border of the color change. That is a great advantage, within the problem. The model is looking fantastic. It sure looks great Regards
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, halinski, spitfire mk 1a