PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-10-2023, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Wilhemshavener F-117

Hello everyone,
I bought this model approximately twenty years ago, and now decided to finally build it. I was wondering if anyone knows any information about this company or this model? Has anybody built this?
Thanks in advance.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4329.jpg   Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4330.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2023, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen, known today as Jade Verlag Möwe is one of the oldest card aircraft and ship models designers and printers. It was founded in 1953 and the models they publish are really tops. Some aircraft are simply, for beginners but others are extremely highly detailed. They have many ships both military and civil and very detailed. In my opinion they have only one defect: They are waterline which when finished if you do not exhibit with a proper setting will look funny resting over a solid shelf or table. Despite this small flaw, they are very well detailed and with a very precise assembly. They require patience but the finished model will be something to be proud of.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:34 AM

Thanks Petestein, it's always nice to know a little history.
I've got the firsts steps going with my formers doubled up and cut out. I think I might have one of their simpler models, it has landing gear but no interior details. It's obvious right off that, even though simple, it is precise.

Google translate is very much my friend with the instructions.

Attached Thumbnails
Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4332.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 02-23-2023, 03:04 PM

This is definitely not a huge project, so I think it'll be done in a couple more days. But I had to do something about the instructions. It looks like they came originally in about a half-sheet sized booklet but it's printed two pages on full sized 8x11, and all out of order. I got the written instructions squared away but left the illustrations as is. They are still out of order, but they look like a bad copy of a copy of a copy, etc. I didn't want to degrade them more.

The flat skin panels initially looked pretty good, but with every step I was getting more and more wrinkles. The trailing edge cleaned up pretty good after the nozzle was glued into place. After the wings were attached the bottom of the body started getting more wavy. I tried to mitigate it by doubling up the skin in a couple of spaces, which helped, but some spots I wasn't able to do. I was already starting to see some starving dog effects over the frames. I think it is mostly due to the glue I use; the instructions recommend the use of a solvent based glue and I am using a PVA. I think it's also due to some of the panels being cheated a little to simplify the model.

Attached Thumbnails
Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4335.jpg   Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4337.jpg   Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4338.jpg   Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4339.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 02-25-2023, 01:06 PM

The bottom continued to warp a little bit more on the body, the wing remained pretty straight. The wings did twist a hair but in the same direction, so it stayed even and not very noticeable.

The top skin fit fairly well with just a bit of warping. Just about every on top panel closed access to it's backside as it was installed. The top didn't wrinkle so much as just warped some panels leaving them with a concaved surface. I didn't do a very good job at edge coloring, mostly in places I didn't think were going to be very visible, but some issues were due panel creases exposing the paper underneath.

I saved mounting the tail and the landing gear for last to lessen the possibility of knocking them off while handling. The landing gear struts plugged into sockets. I re-enforced the struts with toothpicks for a little more strength.

And that wraps it up.

Attached Thumbnails
Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4341.jpg   Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4344.jpg   Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4365.jpg   Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4366.jpg   Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4369.jpg  

Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4374.jpg   Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4372.jpg   Wilhemshavener F-117-img_4373.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2023, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
You've done an excellent job of an excellent model. WHM aircraft are very good indeed, al least 98% of them. They also have some simple models which are good for kids but not for serious modellers. You should try the B-58 Hustler it is a work of art. Its only flaw is that the livery is not accurate. It would be a nice job to scan the model and recolor with Photoshop to a more scale livery which, by the way, is very simple if you decide on the prototype No. 50666. Building its 18 wheel landing gear wheels will take you some time. but it is really worth the time involved which if accompanied by good music like Bach, Vivaldi or Beethoven will be a wonderful experience.l
Old 02-25-2023, 11:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Nice build and work.

I like the models of Wilhelm Shavener, they are accurate and simple to build.
I have previously built their Phantom and Mirage. I enjoyed every moment.

YOAV
Old 02-26-2023, 08:35 AM

Location: One of the most beutifull place on earth - Zur Hadassa, place neer Jerusalem.
Total Downloaded: 1.86 GB
Looks good

Model looks good and nice building.
you can try the IAFM F117 model, it's very nice, same scale and include landing gear houses, cockpit and clear canopy.
recomanded model as well.