PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-25-2021, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Having being done both kinds, I'll say that a good plastic model from a good brand is superior, no discusion.
But the paper models have some advantages. First, you can reprint the parts each time you want. Second, it's more challenging. Third, it's easier to make changes, like another version of the plane (or even a sister ship that hasn't being released). You can do a very detailed repaint with any graphic program without worring about smudging the paint job.
It's cheaper, too. It means that you can build a lot more. You can gift or dump any model you feel unhappy with, and rebuild again without you wife being upset.

Having said that, I use a mixed metod that I don't think many can do, and it's to use all the parts (like cockpits, decals, wheels and weapons) that I have hoarded from my plastic years, and use them in my paper models. My Fw-190a-5, for example, has a plastic cockpit. Many of them have decals. And I reinforce them so they will last at least 30 years or more. And, seen them side to side, the difference is minimal and depend, of course, of each model and how good did you feld when you did it
Attached Thumbnails
Paper vs Plastic-fw-190a-40-.jpg   Paper vs Plastic-p-38-56-.jpg   Paper vs Plastic-meeting-2020-14-.jpg  
Old 05-25-2021, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Very interesting Greg and a great subject too. I love the Dr.1. I built the Guillow's stick and tissue version many years ago.

Do you plan on doing a simultaneous build to show a side by side comparison along the way? I'm anxious to see the Meng version come together. I hear there are lots of options in that kit to choose from. You'll have lots of left overs for the parts bin. Maybe you could make a copy of the Orlik kit and throw together a hybrid of the two.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Currently on vacation but did start this project the other day.

I assembled a few pieces of the Meng cockpit to start but need to paint a few things before going further. BTW I don't like painting much.

I have yet to cut into the Orlik kit but have been doing some planning with it. The kit has a pattern for the control stick that just looks a bit too fiddly to do well. However, the Meng kit has two control sticks depending on which version is built. So, technically the Orlik build will be a hybrid because I have a perfectly good control stick that I can use without making another one from scratch....

Attached Thumbnails
Paper vs Plastic-20210526_131501.jpg   Paper vs Plastic-20210526_131608.jpg  
Old 05-26-2021, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
looking forward to the comparison of your build. The F-14s in the thread are pretty comparable. Depends the priority I suppose. Cost vs detail. Not sure lots of detail is not over rated. There seems to be no limit to how much can be added.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.92 GB
Paper versus plastic (resin in fact)!
2 of my 1/72 Stampe SV4 models:

Google Adsense
Old 05-28-2021, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i switched from plastic to paper in 1984 for one simple reason. discovered i hate painting
Old 06-07-2021, 06:33 PM

Ordered some aftermarket stuff for the meng kit. So this one is on hold for a bit. Sorry....
Old 06-09-2021, 05:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.66 MB
S5E Revell Vs Paper 1/72
Old 08-06-2021, 07:21 AM

Finally got my aftermarket Quinta 3D decals for the Meng kit. They are really nice!

Anyway, since I got my parts, I decided to work on this project.

Cockpit of Meng is coming along and I started the Orlik model as well.

I found that the laser cut set for the orlik only has those fuselage parts that do not have color printing. The parts are cut from .8 mm card. This matches with the thickness you get when laminating the regular parts onto .5 mm card. Smart!

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Paper vs Plastic-20210805_175724.jpg   Paper vs Plastic-20210805_190433.jpg   Paper vs Plastic-20210805_193429.jpg   Paper vs Plastic-20210805_210620.jpg  
Old 08-06-2021, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Greg didn't suggest this, but immediately the conversation turned to "which? why? paper or plastic?"

And I think Paper vs Plastic is an unfair comparison.

Not because one is "better" than the other (or more realistic, or more to scale, or whatever)...

you choose plastic over paper, or vice-versa, because of the differences.
What makes them different is the whole point to your choice.
And the build style/method (paper vs plastic) is just a personal choice.

You can coat any medium in enough putty, filler, primer, paint, decals, etc and make it look more realistic or more accurate in scale...
but then, its not a paper or plastic kit any more...its just a scale model.
The comparison doesn't matter.

You build a paper model because its paper, and thats what you want to see, thats what you want to feel, thats what you want to work with (as a modeller).
It can never really look the same as a plastic model, so it shouldn't be judged against a plastic kit (in a comparitive way).

And I've seen enough examples of terribly designed or manufactured plastic kits...
so anyone who puts one over the other is completely wrong.

I think its funner to ignore the differences of paper or plastic.
Instead, lets look at the scale and accuracy design differences between two manufacturers
...whether they be both of the same medium, or different (like paper and plastic).
It comes down to the designer and the model manufacturer, as to how well the scale model has been produced and how accurate it might be in its design.

The Dr.1 is definitely a great choice!
Google Adsense