PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-06-2021, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
My real intent is to show the differences in the media involved and the results that are achievable in each medium.

I like building in both, although paper takes preference for various reasons, and thought it would be interesting to build two like subjects for comparison.

As this project has evolved, I have added aftermarket parts to both (Quinta 3D decals for the Meng and laser cut parts for the Orlik) but my journey has led me to consider a few things that I find enhancing the projects. Case in point is that I have an extra control stick from the Meng kit that means I don't have to fabricate one from scratch for the Orlik kit (quite a complex shape that I did not look forward to create). Also, since the Quinta set has seatbelts, that frees up the photoetched ones from the Meng kit that I could add to the Orlik model that has none provided. To me, that's a win-win scenario.

If it was merely a cost vs detail situation, the Orlik would win hands down. The Meng kit I bought on sale but still have $66 invested in it (kit plus aftermarket) while the Orlik is no more than a third of that cost in kit and laser cut parts.

The cost benefit ratio is even bigger if you were to compare current OOP Wingnut Wings kits prices to their Paper model kit counterparts.

Greg
Old 08-06-2021, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
And I've seen enough examples of terribly designed or manufactured plastic kits...
so anyone who puts one over the other is completely wrong.

I think its funner to ignore the differences of paper or plastic.
Instead, lets look at the scale and accuracy design differences between two manufacturers
...whether they be both of the same medium, or different (like paper and plastic).
It comes down to the designer and the model manufacturer, as to how well the scale model has been produced and how accurate it might be in its design.
Well, You're right that some plastic models give you pain. I remember the Matchbox Stranraer, for example. I love the real plane but the plastic model was... like an easy model designed for kids (that it was).
So I build MY Stranraer paper model, that is more detailed that the plastic one.

Other sad plastic models... the Airfix F-111 has a detachable cockpit, but the fuselage comes bent, so you need to glue the cockpit while using tape to achieve a decent model. And more... yes, you are right.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper vs Plastic-stranraer-162-.jpg  
Old 08-06-2021, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
in 1984 i gave up on plastic and switched to paper for one simple reason. I suddenly decided i HATED painting,Very first model was WHM USS FORESTAL in its origainla form with very few instructions and those were only in german, Never gone back to plastic since