PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-22-2021, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Paper vs Plastic

This week, my wife and I are on vacation. I've brought a new project to start while sitting around not doing my job. I thought it might be kinda neat to build a paper model and plastic model of the same basic subject at the same basic size.

Therefore, I intend on starting two WW1 aircraft of the same type but different liveries, one from Orlik the other from Meng.

Stay tuned.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Looking forward to your project.
It would be nice to have a score of pros an cons.
The bigger the scale of the plane the less issues with curved shapes.
One of the advantages if you have a good print is that you do not have to deal with masking or decals!
The other is that you may do the model at any (reasonable) scale.
Also you may have spare parts just in case, given that you did a scan of your model.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 440.31 MB
As a recent convert to paper, after building plastic for fifty years, it will be great to see such a comparison build.

To my newby brain, the biggest "pro" is cost and the ability to scale to whatever one desires.

Plastic kits in my opinion have become way over complicated and therefore very expensive. It's just a hobby. (For me anyways)

Jody
Old 05-22-2021, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Much driving today, no building. But here are the two projects...
Attached Thumbnails
Paper vs Plastic-20210522_194227.jpg  
Old 05-22-2021, 09:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Nice choices. At least the painting is going to be simplified in red (no lozanges).
A few months ago I did the triplane in tiny.
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2021, 11:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 213.77 MB
it's always something interesting to comparing models made of paper with a plastic model, I build this S&P F-14 last year and here's the comparison with Hobbyboss 1/72 F-14A, seems like there's no significant diversity between the two aircraft but the paper one sure had fewer details and more angular than the plastic one.

Hope to see your work soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper vs Plastic-img_2127.jpg   Paper vs Plastic-img_2128.jpg  
Old 05-23-2021, 12:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Back in 2010, I did a few comparison builds of paper and plastic of the same models

Here are two links I started

Paper and plastic comparison- Me-262
Paper and plastic comparison-Continued

There was some limited interest back then, but mostly folks did not show their own plastic and paper comparisons. Not sure it has changed since.

Enjoy the comparisons.

Isaac
Old 05-23-2021, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
In most cases, you can tell a plastic model by the blunt trailing edge of the wings and tail surfaces. The paper models have always much sharper wing trailing edges. But a plastic model is smoother in its contours, where the paper model has some angularity (is that an English word?) to it, unless you burnish the segment seams.
For some reason, I find the paper models to have more character, maybe just because of their imperfect contours.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.84 MB
I come too from plastic modelling. In my opinion all depends too with the perfection you want to reach with your models and how identical as the real subject you want your model finished. By example: Paper has a printed paint schemes, camouflages and stencils. Good, you save time priming, painting, masking and weathering, gluing decals, etc... but a grain effects of printing process in paper are always visible... None is better than the other. It's a question of which finish you choose: the delicate aperance of paper or a high grade of similitude of a plastic base model with the reality... sorry for my horrible english. :-(
Old 05-24-2021, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
That is true, about the graininess of some printing techniques. But some modern models have such high quality of printing, that they are as sharp as plastic paint, airbrush and decals. Especially if you put a varnish to the paper model.
Google Adsense