PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Oh yes - the bits and pieces will be there in whatever state of non-completion the day finds them...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Some progress being made

Okay I am kinda stumped on the wing fold mechanism. I have most of the major stuff designed as you can see in the screen grab but I'm wondering how buildable it will be. The arm with flap actuating rods (not the hydraulic cylinder) is .05" in diameter the way it is currently designed and I'm wondering how small is too small to design cylinders? Since i generally assume cardstock to be about .01" thick when designing I think it should be doable, difficult but doable. What think all of you who might try and tackle this when it's ready?

Also I generally try to design using only one thickness of wire but I'm thinking with this model I'm going to have to specifiy multiple thicknesses or really scale back the level of detail. Any thoughts on that?

I have been referring to the GPM Corsair for some ideas but I was surprised to find a glaring error in the wing fold area. The Corsair only has one hydraulic actuator for the outer 2 flaps and it is mounted on the center section not the outer panel yet the GPM Corsair has a hydraulic actuator for the middle and outboard flaps. So that kinda soured me toward the model.

Well here is a screengrab of what i have designed and of the real thing:
Attached Thumbnails
Test Build of F2G-1 "Super" Corsair Military Version-wingfold.jpg   Test Build of F2G-1 "Super" Corsair Military Version-mg98863.jpg  

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM

I'll give anything you send me an honest effort but as I previously indicated the folded version would not be my personal choice. I am currently at sea for a few more days but will be ready to reactivate the assembly line on Monday. For the folding mechanism you hae envisioned it might be a smart move to enlist the aid of Bomarc (aka creator of working miniature aircraft.)
Old 12-09-2009, 07:21 PM

Well I hope a number of people weigh in on this one so I can tailor the model to meet the needs of a larger group of modelers. I know it's going to be in the upper levels of skills needed but i don't want to scare anybody off who would tackle a Halinsky, because most of the model is less detailed than a Halinsky. Maybe I should run a poll about it?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
add the wing hinges as an option sheet
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 PM

The plans right now are to make a totally separate version of the model so the folding mechanism doesn't have to bothered with but I have never designed or built anything so tiny and fiddly before so this is uncharted territory for me.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 PM

Ron I was just thinking that since #454 is a -2 meaning land based that i ought to just finish it up and offer the it as an individual kit instead of throwing it together with all the other military repaints and the -1 version that I have been planning? Then those who want a military version can have it and I can work on the fiddly wing fold mechanism at my leisure.

Of course that question is not directed only at Ron but anyone who was interested in this project.

As much as I'm working on the XP-72 right now I figure I'm going to have a burnout soon and this would be a good fallback project.

btw I am doing a small upgrade to the cockpit and finally replacing the seat with the appropriate bucket seat instead of one with cushions.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 PM

I think that might be a good way to go, Will. They are certainly two different beasties (what with wing fold, hook, armament and prop) and should probably be offered as two distinct models. I am ready , willing and (hopefully) able to build the version(s) you choose.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:36 PM

Me being me I just had to start doing it when i had the idea. I bringing the whole kit up to the same standard/format as the XP-67 ie with the border on the pages and trying to make the part layout look a little more professional. It will have the effect of increasing the number of pages in the kit. A few other minor upgrades to the kit are in the works as well. Right now I'm thinking of the gear doors. But again me being me more will be added by the time I'm done.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:39 AM

This thread will be coming to a close here. Will has been doing a major redesign of the fuselage framework and the cockpit as well as doing two different models (the -1 and -2) with different features. The fuselage design has changed enough that this thread is not really pertinent so I am starting a new thread that will start at the beginning with the new frame. The new thread is here - Test Build of F2G-1 "Super" Corsair Military Version (Take 2)
Google Adsense